Anyone been wrong about a significant political issue and admitted it here?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
I hope the OP was really asking a rhetorical question. I was wrong about that at a certain point I felt confident that the "left" leaning people would wake up to the corruption by the Democrats and the disregard for the Constitution, facts, logic, science, and reality which would lead people to start rejecting the impending totalitarian way of life. My bad on that because it's a double down fest on daily life being a skit from a comedy show. This lefty echo chamber is too far in the Progresshevik Church to ever admit mistakes or change course no matter the evidence or facts.
It could be rhetorical in my post besides the specific nature of me being wrong about how moderates would vote on how to pay for health care. What about something like the state of the American family? I think that subject is akin to our way of life being endangered that you brought up.

It's the conservative belief that if the family fails the country fails. I'm not saying I believe that just yet. I'm more of the belief that single mother households can make it and so can other non traditional family setups.

But there's something nagging me that what if it's true that if the family crumbles then the U.S. will crumble when looking at it from the conservative point of view. But then there's still the debate of what constitutes a crumbling family. Edit: Anyway it seems this subject is relevant to the moral and constitutional considerations you mentioned.

Another edit: And I haven't mentioned current or soon to be current legislation in Congress that may affect the family. Like welfare reform and public & private education reform.

Last edited:

Pens1566

Lifer
Oct 11, 2005
It was the first midterms where the party in the White House gained a seat in the Senate since 1934. FDR had the New Deal going on.

Yeah, my "miss" was I thought they'd pick up 2 instead of just 1.

Reactions: Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, my "miss" was I thought they'd pick up 2 instead of just 1.
2 would have been a much better win, but 1 was a really really big deal for lots of reasons. Committee assignments will go much better for the Dems, judicial appointments too...

Reactions: Pohemi

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah I had watched that as well...I just convinced myself at the time that Moore was wrong, and so much of the US couldn't be that stupid. He was correct, and I was not.
The moment I realized that Trump was going to take the White House was seeing Michael Moore's face at ~8PM Pacific Time on election night in 2016 (he was in a network TV studio). The look of gloom on his face was epic. It was a gut punch. I knew 4 dark years lie ahead.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
The moment I realized that Trump was going to take the White House was seeing Michael Moore's face at ~8PM Pacific Time on election night in 2016 (he was in a network TV studio). The look of gloom on his face was epic. It was a gut punch. I knew 4 dark years lie ahead.
Because of this history, when Michael Moore pronounced that the Dems would do well in these mid-terms, I had a good feeling about the outcome this time.

An aside: New Edge update has some crazy autocomplete thing going on. Must go to settings somewhere!

PlanetJosh

Golden Member
May 6, 2013
Tax reform, national defense reform, law enforcement reform, education reform, welfare reform, health care reform and other reform. I'm asking conservatives is there any big issue that the Dems are not using or not trying to use for totalitarian rule? None? Totalitarian governance is one of your big complaints so I had to ask.

I don't mean the Dems supporting one or two small conservative PTA in Little Town in the middle of nowhere in a midwestern state. So the Dems aren't right on any of the big issues? Not one? Again this is for the Repubs and others like minded to them.

Last edited:
  • Haha

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Because of this history, when Michael Moore pronounced that the Dems would do well in these mid-terms, I had a good feeling about the outcome this time.

An aside: New Edge update has some crazy autocomplete thing going on. Must go to settings somewhere!
Indeed, he got that right too. I've seen a lot of negativity about Michael Moore in these forums, have never understood why. I haven't seen all his docs, but what I have seen I have really liked. Plus, his read on American politics is obviously a few levels above.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Indeed, he got that right too. I've seen a lot of negativity about Michael Moore in these forums, have never understood why. I haven't seen all his docs, but what I have seen I have really liked. Plus, his read on American politics is obviously a few levels above.

I like the guy. I think it still has to be admitted that his movies tend to be propagandistic, and manipulative, rather than strictly rigourous documentaries. But I don't really care.

Reactions: zinfamous and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I like the guy. I think it still has to be admitted that his movies tend to be propagandistic, and manipulative, rather than strictly rigourous documentaries. But I don't really care.
Yeah, I don't care either because I like his causes at least the ones that those docs were about. I want to see manipulated to favor things I favor. Isn't that natural? Depends how it's done, I guess, but I don't remember being offended by MM's style. Neutrality can be overdone too. Both sides? That can be for the birds unless the truth really is in the middle. I suppose it is sometimes but I see really important issues these days that won't get resolved unless people really care.

I think MM has a real sense of humor too, which comes through in his work pretty intensely. I really like that.

Moore's works criticize topics such as globalization, large corporations, assault weapon ownership, Presidents Bill Clinton,[5] George W. Bush and Donald Trump,[6] the Iraq War, the American health care system and capitalism overall.

How can I not like the guy????

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
I think MM has a real sense of humor too, which comes through in his work pretty intensely. I really like that.

How can I not like the guy????

I'm sure he's far from perfect - every political figure, hell every human, is flawed. But the main thing, to me, is just that he doesn't appear to be as out-of-touch with the ordinary electorate as some of the US 'left'. Which is probably why he called 2016 (and these elections) correctly when others didn't.

sportage

Lifer
Feb 1, 2008

idk ??
I have no idea what I'm typing when I post, let alone follow any logical thought.
Thing is, I just LOVE typing on my keyboard. The clicking sounds really turn me on. ;)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

idk ??
I have no idea what I'm typing when I post, let alone follow any logical thought.
Thing is, I just LOVE typing on my keyboard. The clicking sounds really turn me on. ;)

Kudos for fessing up? ;)

(I've long suspected this!)

Reactions: iRONic

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Voted for Dubya the first time.
Also voted for Chuck Grassley once.
Was wrong about Iraq War Two, Baby Bush Boogalo.
Was wrong about legal weed.

I thought Trump was a legit concern due to EC being what it is. But I thought Hillary was going to pull it out.

I also thought Ukraine was going to get blitzed off the map in a few days time. But here we are.

Grew up poor and rural. Tons of baked in prejudice and propaganda.

45 now and still continuous work forward.

Last edited:

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Like some other long-time posters here, I didn't realize how naive libertarianism was until the 2008 housing crash. That was a real eye-opener, watching the people whose ideas caused the crash blame everyone else while also seeking to profit from it. Now we're seeing much the same thing happen with crypto.
I also didn't realize the level of unself-aware maliciousness on the right-wing until recent years. Libs might be bleeding hearts, but right-wingers have no hearts. They can always make up a hypocritical rationale to justify treating others without compassion or kindness.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
Most of the examples of this for me long-predate ever posting on here. Generally I've gone from believing in overly-simplistic solutions, to despair and thinking maybe there are no solutions.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Like some other long-time posters here, I didn't realize how naive libertarianism was until the 2008 housing crash. That was a real eye-opener, watching the people whose ideas caused the crash blame everyone else while also seeking to profit from it. Now we're seeing much the same thing happen with crypto.
I also didn't realize the level of unself-aware maliciousness on the right-wing until recent years. Libs might be bleeding hearts, but right-wingers have no hearts. They can always make up a hypocritical rationale to justify treating others without compassion or kindness.

Same. I self identified as libertarian through the early 2000's. Used to listen to Hannity and Combes on AM radio as I drove across Iowa to Nebraska for work.

And then they just started going looney. I watched Hannity morph into what he is today.
I watched and paid attention as the others moved to Tea Party and try to appeal to libertarians.

And they were just morally and ethically depraved assholes that had no intent in improving our country.

I wanted no part of that.

Reactions: MrSquished

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
One thing that didn't change and won't change is me being an asshole about politics or social issues (even specific social situations), because that's actually turned out to be much more fruitful in getting people to consider their viewpoints. I tried honey, it didn't work, so I'm just gonna straight up piss in your face. That doesn't mean I'm absolutely right by any means, but I do it to try and knock people out of the stupor they get stuck in. Especially with a lot of the shitty racist/sexist/bigoted crap I still see people on here post in the most asinine ways. And that probably goes triple for groups that are unfairly discriminated against, because if I as an average but still ridiculously privileged straight white dude can take some of the heat for them and also get to spit a bit of the fire I know they wish they could back at these assholes, then I'm there. Call me pejoratives, get mad that I'm "too woke", etc, it'll still leave a lasting impression that will make you think about it later. And I've had multiple people tell me that ultimately is what led them to actually actively think about things and ended up leading them to learn and grow and change.

Also I have nothing but disdain for people that have had ample opportunity to see the error of their ways and choose not to change but want people to treat them "nice". Nah, you don't get to be an asshole, pushing horrible policies, but then expect people to treat you like actual decent people. I have zero qualms about being an asshole about that. That's not to say I don't think people are irredeemable but they have to actually change.

That is a sub par mediocre rationalization attempt and excuse to succumb to your lesser instincts and just behave like an asshole. You dont buy this bs yourself for a second either do you?
At least the Trumpanzees are honest about it. You commit the cardinal sin, you lie to yourself.
Reality check; you dont have success with pissing in peoples faces beyond they simply ignoring you, going around you, avoiding you altogether. But lets be honest, this is an online persona right, cause in the real world this behavior would have netted you broken fingers and somehow you're still typing.