Anyone been to Costa Rica??

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrrman

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2004
Might plan a trip in March. First time going should we stay in town? I was thinking of San Jose as an area to stay in and will check out VRBO.com for condos. Any thoughts on this? How far is the airport from downtown? Things to do, where to eat, etc...Thanks

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
i have and i did not like where i stayed. but we were like an hour or 90 minutes from the airport. i forget the city.

that said, costa rica is huge and i know there are nicer places. i went for a wedding that was at a double tree hotel which was situated between 2 volcanoes so the beach was dark water. the food was mediocore at best as well, and the drinks were watered down to shit.

i'm not saying i will never go back to CR, but if i did, it definitely would not be in that location. i'd much rater go elsewhere than back there. i also am not a fan of all inclusive in general.

glenn1

Lifer
Sep 6, 2000
I've been. I wouldn't spend significant time in San Jose since is that really what you're going there for? I would think you'd want to spend the bulk of your time in Arena, or Monteverde, Manuel Antonio, or wherever. We stayed at the Hotel Don Carlos when we were in SJ.

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
The problem with Costa Rica is that no matter why you go, everyone you tell will assume you went there for sex tourism. So you might as well go for sex tourism.

DougK62

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2001
The airport is actually in Alajuela (sp?) and not in San Jose, so there is a bit of a drive to get to the capital. My advice when traveling anywhere in Central America is usually to get out of the big cities as soon as possible.

dethman

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
you can fly in/out of san jose but there is no reason to stay there IMO.

for tourism in costa rica, you want to head to la fortuna/arenal for adventuring, manuel antonio for their wildlife park, or beaches on the pacific like tamarindo. i guess if you want to immerse yourself in local culture and hit local markets ok but i don't think there's really any tourist stuff in the capital.

you can stay in san jose maybe the night after you get in and the night before you fly out, just for convenience.

Status
Not open for further replies.