Question Anyne have experience with Water Panther DAS Hard drives?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I don't see much online about them except for sites selling them and the customer reviews. 12TB for 124.99 direct from their site. Is there any difference between DAS and NAS? I'll be using it in a standard PC not a proprietary NAS.

Jul 27, 2020

Tech Junky

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2022
I have a hot standby seeing as though it's raid 10 with 5 drives. Could sustain 2 drives failing and have time to order new ones. It's mostly just hoarded data and backups in many places. Sure it would be a nuisance to lose drives and data but not overly impactful. I rolled a prior NAS function into the server and added raid as a thing to do for expanding things.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Doesn't that mean that your other He drives are also compromised? Have you checked their SMART stats?

yes which is why this time i also bought extra spares incase they also die.
Im about to do a major overhall on my FreeNAS server and my regular server.

I have a:
AMD EPYC 7601 + Supermicro H11SSL-i Motherboard +8x 32GB 2133P RAM
coming in, to replace my current main server that does everything in my house from plex transcoding, to network scan, SAN, ect... everything you would need a server to do that's not a gaming PC.

Then i think my TrueNAS board might have also gotten cooked, so i am getting a X10Dri refurb mailed out to me as well to be on standby when my current X10 dies.

I am a avid fan of supermicro when it comes to enterprise gear.
They are not as exclusive in parts and compatibility like HP and Dell are, and are much more flexible in a SOHO environment, and not full corporate workspace.

That heat wave really took a toll on me... something told me i should of left the AC on in that room, but we had 4 split AC units on, and i didn't want to throw on a 5th one and overtax the 300amp main breaker at the house.
Also electricty is HECK expensive in Los Angeles. I think im paying somewhere like $0.23 kwh.
I sort of regret it, as its probably going to cost me more to fix and replace then if i left the AC on at like 77F in that room.

Last edited:

jamesdsimone

Dec 21, 2015
I contacted the company and they told me the drives were resales from old stock from large server manufactures that were never used. That makes sense, it's been a while since server manufactures would be using 6TB drives in their arrays.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
server manufactures would be using 6TB drives in their arrays.

6TB is and was an odd size.
And real server environments use SAS and not SATA.
You get more features designed for HBA and RAID cards on a SAS drive then SATA.
SATA is very consumer orientated. Its not deployed as much in enterprise sector unless its for simple stuff.
SAS is where you find all the DAS + SAN + Enterprise level NAS being deployed.

Also server manufactures do not make drive.
As what brand they were rebranded to... ie.. Western Digital, Hitachi, Seagate, Toshiba
These guys are the major players when it comes to spinning hard drives.

Reactions: mv2devnull

mv2devnull

Golden Member
Apr 13, 2010
SAS is where you find all the DAS + SAN + Enterprise level NAS being deployed.
Yes, although the higher end has more SSD with the SAS and the cheapskates buy the unit with some NL-SAS too. Tiered storage.
One simply does not go as low as SATA, although the distance from SATA to NL-SAS is rather short.