Anybody who knows something about 2000 Civic Si's

chuckywang

Lifer
Jan 12, 2004
Link.

Does this car look "beaten" to you? The dealer offered it to me for $7k. Is it worth that much?

EDIT: Link to carfax.

The dealer told me about the side skirts. But does the front end look misaligned to you? Can you see the amber reflectors (it's illegal to drive without them). Plus, the side mirrors aren't painted. KBB price for this car with that many miles is between 8k and 9k.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
That looks like a good deal for a 2000 Si.
Whats wrong with the side skirts anyway...looks off.

I am always weary of find "deals" at car dealership.
To me, why would they priced it so cheap if it was such a great car.
Anyhow, we had a private conversation already...we all know a "clean" carfax doesn't mean jack.

ballmode

Lifer
Aug 17, 2005
2 reasons why I wouldn't get it.

Wheels and the crappy after market shift knob.

Why did a person buy those? To look good going fast or do alot of stop light racing.
Someone in their 40's didnt drive that car that's for sure.

If you are going to spend that much on a Honda compact, go with the Integra. B18 > B16

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
can't really tell from just a listing. Do the usual carfax. Also that car uses a timing belt which needs replacement around 100K, $300-$400 job. Also if the clutch was beat on, it may need replacing soon.

If you're serious about the car, you might want to get a compression check on the motor, but fortunately motors and parts for that car are cheap worst case.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Whats your price range anyway ??
If you can afford around $13K, I'd look for a RSX type S or a tC.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
And what is KBB value?

Rims are ugly, I'd demand replacement of those, LOL

IMO you're buying a modified car, expect difficulties.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: OS
can't really tell from just a listing. Do the usual carfax. Also that car uses a timing belt which needs replacement around 100K, $300-$400 job. Also if the clutch was beat on, it may need replacing soon.

If you're serious about the car, you might want to get a compression check on the motor, but fortunately motors and parts for that car are cheap worst case.

Carfax doesn't show jack.
We had a private conversation and my old Si that was stolen twice showed up clean as a whistle.

OS

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: CTrain

Anyhow, we had a private conversation already...we all know a "clean" carfax doesn't mean jack.

I don't know if I'd say a clean carfax means jack, it's a minimal check for obvious problems that still should be done.

But yeah it's not an end all, stuff still gets through, particularly if someone is shady and washes the title and such.

Also check for signs of flooding, supposedly katrina cars still found their way to the market and such.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
Originally posted by: OS
Originally posted by: CTrain

I don't know if I'd say a clean carfax means jack, it's a minimal check for obvious problems that still should be done.

But yeah it's not an end all, stuff still gets through, particularly if someone is shady and washes the title and such.

Also check for signs of flooding, supposedly katrina cars still found their way to the market and such.

But seriously, if a car thats been stolen twice doesn't show up on Carfax(I reported to the police both times), theres something wrong with the service.

fbrdphreak

Lifer
Apr 17, 2004
Take it to independant mechanic, find out previous service from dealer (if they know)

As others said, I'd insist on a full tuneup, timing belt, and maybe clutch.

CTrain

Diamond Member
Sep 26, 2001
We all know that car's been used more than a $5 whore.
If that car was actually clean, $7000 is a great buy.
With KBB trade-in on clean, its still $7600. $8200 on excellent.

Black88GTA

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2003
I'd probably pass.

From the pics....front clip and passenger headlight look tweaked, sideskirts are missing (already mentioned) and something (switch?) appears to be missing from the left side of the dash.

Plus, as has been said...that car looks like it was owned by a HS / college kid who piled on cheap "mods" like that shift knob and the headlight kit. As such, it was probably not maintained very well and beaten on to boot.