Anybody watching "The War" on PBS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

sdgserv

Jun 9, 2004
These documentaries are incredible..
My aunt spent almost 10 years putting together a timeline of her brother who was a WW11 pilot and then handed it to me. I spent another 2 years and finally finished it.
She did it without the aid of computers and the internet. Traveling to different countries and meeting with Military retirees.

I got to read the letters from the war. Such a different time. Today families get and Email almost every day. Back then you did not know it your soldier was dead or alive until you got a letter.

In WW11 almost all families in the US were affected. Today..from Iraq to Afganistan, just a small number wait for their Soldier to come home......

Epic Fail

Diamond Member
May 10, 2005
Clint Eastwood did perspective from both sides last year when he directed his two films.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: FoBoT
i wanted to see that, i forgot

They're replaying starting this week on my local PBS station.

I'm getting to grab the ones I missed. :D

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: sdgserv
My aunt spent almost 10 years putting together a timeline of her brother who was a WW11 pilot and then handed it to me. I spent another 2 years and finally finished it.
She did it without the aid of computers and the internet. Traveling to different countries and meeting with Military retirees.

I got to read the letters from the war. Such a different time. Today families get and Email almost every day. Back then you did not know it your soldier was dead or alive until you got a letter.

In WW11 almost all families in the US were affected. Today..from Iraq to Afganistan, just a small number wait for their Soldier to come home......

You have an uncle who was in world war 11? Can I borrow your time machine and visit the future with your family.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: So

You have an uncle who was in world war 11? Can I borrow your time machine and visit the future with your family.

Good god, would humanity even be around if we had another 9 World Wars?

Aves

Lifer
Feb 7, 2001
There was a pretty interesting interview with Ken Burns, the creator, on Fresh Air a few months back.

Link

BradT

Jul 17, 2007
I went to a very prestigious summer schools in NH last July. I was enrolled in a mass media class where we had many opportunities that were not offered at my regular high school. In the process, I saw a private screening of the war. The next day I toured Ken Burn's personal studio. At first, Dayton Duncan gave us the tour, but surprisingly, Ken Burns showed up as he was waiting for two clients from NY, and during the meantime, he helped give the tour. At the end, we got more than we thought we would receive. We saw freshly edited footage from a scene from his new documentary on the national parks coming out later. It was one hell of an experience.

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: glutenberg

"The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots."

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004
Originally posted by: MrPickins

"The wars of the future will not be fought on the battlefield or at sea. They will be fought in space, or possibly on top of a very tall mountain. In either case, most of the actual fighting will be done by small robots. And as you go forth today remember always your duty is clear: To build and maintain those robots."

Lol, where's that from?

MrPickins

Diamond Member
May 24, 2003
Originally posted by: MrPickins

Lol, where's that from?

"Simpsons did it!"

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: lupi
PBS is a bunch of brain dead idiots. There have been nothing but repeats for the last 4+ months on network TV and they wait to release this when the networks all crank out their season openers, total retards.

My more research centric fellow said the narrative had some inaccuracies and in general the amount of material covered wasn't worth the time commitment.

It is the pinko broadcasting station.

But in all frankness, we're all human, and when covering such individual details, it is dangerously easy to make mistakes. Especially military history.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: KB
I have liked the documentary alot; its has a very Ken Burns style.
Unfortunately WWII documentaries are very common, just check the History and Military channels. I really want to see documentaries from the Canadian, British, Italian and German perspectives.

Yeah me too. British especially. Thing is, I rather doubt it'd be happening simply because the British have changed so much in the past 50 years. Many would say for the worse...