Anybody watch Mr. Wizard?

Akira13

Feb 21, 2002
Hey all, this is my first time posting in this part of the Anandtech forums. I was talking with my friends today, and somehow our conversation ended up on Mr. Wizard's World (remember that old show on Nickelodeon? Or before that back in the 60's?). I remembered how he used a needle and thread to slice up a banana while in its skin. I think he sewed it in a certain pattern, but I don't remember how. Does anyone else remember this episode? Does anyone know how to do that trick? Thanks.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Akira13, I don't remeber that particular episode, but I do remember watching MWW :)

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
The only episode that sticks in my mind is the one where he shot off water-powered rockets. I haven't seen the show for at least 8 or 9 years, though.

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: erikiksaz
Yeah, the show rocked. But for some reason, i'm picturing Mr. Rogers :confused:

You need help ;):D

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: Akira13
Hey all, this is my first time posting in this part of the Anandtech forums. I was talking with my friends today, and somehow our conversation ended up on Mr. Wizard's World (remember that old show on Nickelodeon? Or before that back in the 60's?). I remembered how he used a needle and thread to slice up a banana while in its skin. I think he sewed it in a certain pattern, but I don't remember how. Does anyone else remember this episode? Does anyone know how to do that trick? Thanks.
Man, the other day I was wondering how he did that. None of my friends could remember either....

nachiketa1

Banned
Jun 25, 2001
I loved that show. I used to watch it every morning around 6:30 am before leaving for elementary school. I'm in college now and still remember several experiments from that show. I know the banana thing you're talking about, I actually tried it back then. However, the slices didn't come out good, maybe because I didn't use a ripe banana. Anyways, stick the threaded needle under the skin and follow a circular path around the banana. Each time sticking the needle back through the hole you made. You should end up where you started. Pull the thread and it should slice the banana. I'm sure you can find better instructions on the net somewhere.

fataIerror

Mar 10, 2001
Google is your friend.

Not sure if this is what you are thinking of but here is an excerpt from that page....

You can prepare a banana so that when someone removes the skin the banana inside is already sliced:

You need just a clean pin. To make each slice, insert the pin through the banana skin, but not so deep as to enter the skin on the other side. Move the pin sideways in a see-saw motion, using the entry point of the skin as a pivot. Replace the banana in the fruit bowl.

kLezViruS

May 15, 2002
I remember the episode where he used dry ice and put it in the sink, then added soap. It was like really big bubble bath.

I realy liked his show, and that aprticular episode sticks in my mind.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001
Mr. Wizard was great! What other show teaches you how to play with fire in so many different ways?!? :D Sure, there was the implicit "do not try this at home" or "with adult supervision", but you knew they didn't *really* mean it. ;)

<-- got in trouble for lighting my cereal on fire when I was 7. :eek:

mithrandir2001

Diamond Member
May 1, 2001
Ah, yes, Mr. Wizard. I wish Nick would replay a whole day of programming from circa 1986 or something. There are plenty of programs I'd like to remember again. Danger Mouse, Space Ghost, Children of the Stones (or something like that), Pinwheel, Today's Special, YCDTOT, tons more.

Akira13

Feb 21, 2002
Thanks, everyone. I think nachiketa1 has the right idea. I'm gonna try that the next time I'm bored at work. I don't really like bananas, but for nostalgia's sake, I'll give it a shot. Thanks again.

LanEvoVI

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2001
Mr. Wizard was the man. I remember the episode where he taught you to make rock candy. I was on a sugar high for the next 3 weeks...hehe

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
I think Bill Nye was better than Mr. Wizard.

BTW - Cartoon Network is making a new "He-Man and the Masters of the Universe".

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
I remember that episode where they put some aluminum foil in a baking pan and then sprayed oven cleaner on it. After a while it started smoking and caught on fire! :Q

murphy55d

Lifer
Dec 26, 2000
Originally posted by: tenchim
Mr. Wizard was great! What other show teaches you how to play with fire in so many different ways?!? :D Sure, there was the implicit "do not try this at home" or "with adult supervision", but you knew they didn't *really* mean it. ;)

<-- got in trouble for lighting my cereal on fire when I was 7. :eek:

hehehehe

Jun 18, 2000
Originally posted by: notfred
Yea, Bill Nye always managed to make me laugh.

On a side note, anybody watch Julius Sumner Miller? He had a science show on public television. He'd start out every show with:

"Hello, I'm Julius Sumner Miller, and physics is my business."

LanEvoVI

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2001
Wasn't that Julius Sumner Miller guy crazy? hehe...i remember seeing his episode on Bernoulli's principle and stuff. He's a lot more off the wall than Mr. Wizard was; but still very cool nonetheless.

cjchaps

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2000
I remember the one where Mr. Wizard hooked a hot-dog up to an electrical outlet and cooked it. That was sweetness embodied.

Que-TiP

Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred

Bill Nye is a wanna-be...just a science guy....we're talking about a wizard dammit!

brxndxn

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2001
I vote for Mr. Wizard.

BTW, I remember that specific episode and I remember doing it when I was 8 or so.. You gotta stick the needle just beyond the skin of the banana and thread it the whole way around by sticking the needle back into the same hole it came out of. Then once it's strung and both parts of the string are sticking out of the same hole, you pull the string which cuts the banana..

Works every time..