Anybody surprised? It's the red states that are purple!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, watching TV news last night they showed the map of the USA and noted the states that are in purple, i.e. the most critical pandemically. They didn't say so but I think they all went for Trump.

Some months ago a lot of those states had relatively low cases, case rates, hospitalizations, people in ICU, vents, deaths, etc. Now they are pretty out of control and getting worse.

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Yeah, watching TV news last night they showed the map of the USA and noted the states that are in purple, i.e. the most critical pandemically. They didn't say so but I think they all went for Trump.

Some months ago a lot of those states had relatively low cases, case rates, hospitalizations, people in ICU, vents, deaths, etc. Now they are pretty out of control and getting worse.
When you have brilliant people making brilliant pronouncements like "cases are low here because we don't have many Chinese people" and "mask mandates are making us like Nazi Germany just before WW2" and then making actual policy off those beliefs bad things are going to happen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Trump supporters think its a hoax. Not surprising.

What is surprising is just how easy his supporters are are convince that crazy stuff is real. There are reports of people claiming the virus is a hoax while they are literally dying from it...
Yeah, I heard about that listening to NPR. People raging against their doctors telling them it can't be covid-19, it's a hoax. Dying...

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Still relevant:
VdCfVJp.jpg

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
This is another parting gift to the nation that Donald is leaving us with. Of course, one way or another it will be blamed on Obama and Biden. In this the Repub leadership have cultivated a more than willing legions of followers who will cut off their noses, dutifully march into venues full of people to have deadly virus sharing parties hosted by their Programmer-in-Chief, leap over tall towers of facts and truths with a single dismissive declaration of HOAX! while willingly allowing their racists and other partisan extremists to run wild over the nation because, and this is the REALLY incredible part of their history, it helps them win elections.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
The cause and effect is obvious, but we really need to stop broadcasting this political message. SARS-CoV-2 doesn't care about politics, and infects any community rapidly if not taken seriously (are Western European nations purple too? <s>). Plenty of cities in the Midwest are in a world of hurt right now, so what's the point of cheering the disaster unfolding in the Great Plains? On a per capita basis, it's not so horrible yet, but L.A. County has the most cases of any U.S. county and is seeing a rapid, troubling surge. Meanwhile, sheriffs in neighboring SoCal counties have publicly stated a refusal to enforce the state's mandated curfew, while small businesses sue to prevent enforcement of new dining restrictions.

The trendlines across the country are pretty dire, despite epidemiologists almost shouting at the top of their lungs that people have to change soon. It recalls the old cliche, you can always trust Americans to do the right thing after they've tried everything else.

I'm not condoning or minimizing what's happening in rural states; we saw this coming from a mile away and experts have been warning about a seasonal surge since March. I am saying that the bullshit is everywhere, and the virus succeeds because of it.

Reactions: NTMBK

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Red states need to pay a price for being so insolent when it comes to following CDC protocols.

Idiot Gov of South Dakota, her state is in the top 5 of cases in the world compared to countries. She claims not to have the power to enact mask mandates yet people in her position can enact curfews. In both cases because of public good you are enacting mandates on people's behavior.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
Red states need to pay a price for being so insolent when it comes to following CDC protocols.

Idiot Gov of South Dakota, her state is in the top 5 of cases in the world compared to countries. She claims not to have the power to enact mask mandates yet people in her position can enact curfews. In both cases because of public good you are enacting mandates on people's behavior.
No that's fucked up thinking. Those are people dying, not states. Don't be the one to make them the 'Other'.

Reactions: NTMBK and herm0016

fleshconsumed

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2002
No that's fucked up thinking. Those are people dying, not states. Don't be the one to make them the 'Other'.
You can't help people who do not want your help. Sometimes one needs to hit rock bottom before getting better. I fear this may be one of those cases.

Reactions: thilanliyan

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
They have the choice to wear a mask on their own. They aren't outlawed.
A poster here said in his part of N. Carolina if you go into a Home Depot wearing a mask "you will be assaulted." I'm guessing I saw that post around a month ago.

Juiblex

Banned
Sep 26, 2016

Red states also have a lot of people working which can cause COVID to spread... Many of these areas do not have the internet infrastructure to work from home as they are more rural. Blue states (in other words blue cities) have decent internet connections and can work from home. So what's your point?

skyking

Lifer
Nov 21, 2001
you ever try to cut and wrap meat from home?
It is not the infrastructure or lack thereof, it is the nature of the work. I can't do my job remote either. Sometimes people do physical things for work. I know it sounds terribly primitive.
They bust their asses so we can eat, in South Dakota.

Fenixgoon

Lifer
Jun 30, 2003
It is not the infrastructure or lack thereof, it is the nature of the work. I can't do my job remote either. Sometimes people do physical things for work. I know it sounds terribly primitive.
when your governor says she wont enforce masks mandates and calls it a "good day for freedom", you get dying ICU patients who don't believe it's covid that's sending them to the grave

yes, not everyone can work from home. that's why it's even more important that we all wear masks - to protect those who CANNOT avoid the risk of exposure.

• Love
Reactions: Muse and Zorba

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
Red states also have a lot of people working which can cause COVID to spread... Many of these areas do not have the internet infrastructure to work from home as they are more rural. Blue states (in other words blue cities) have decent internet connections and can work from home. So what's your point?

I would like to see you trip pipe on an oil rig via zoom meeting.

also, we are red/purple in one of the most liberal counties in the US. so I think your bias is showing.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
They also completely ignore all other advice.

I went to a bakery in smallish city today (Guthrie, OK) was going to run in, then I realized the city doesn't have a mask mandate and half the people in there weren't wearing masks. So I decide to go though the drive through, along with a ton of other people. Then they started sending employees out to the cars, without masks on and standing as close as physically possible to your window to talk to you. Sure they can't do their jobs from home, but they can wear a fucking mask at their job and step the fuck back. Thank god I live in one of the few not completely backwater cities in Oklahoma.

• Love
Reactions: Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
I would like to see you trip pipe on an oil rig via zoom meeting.

also, we are red/purple in one of the most liberal counties in the US. so I think your bias is showing.
You wear masks on the rig? Or is that too much "control" for people that are required to wear nomex suits and hardhats while working?

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

herm0016

Diamond Member
Feb 26, 2005
We do the whole thing, masks, temp checks, etc.

Ohhh. Oil people must be idiots. Hur hur. Screw you.

We still have whole crews having to be quarantined.

• Haha
Reactions: NTMBK and ch33zw1z

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Millions of people living in blue areas have hands on jobs. I don't think you realize the amount of service related jobs there are out there.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
We do the whole thing, masks, temp checks, etc.

Ohhh. Oil people must be idiots. Hur hur. Screw you.

We still have whole crews having to be quarantined.
I know tons of people that work in oil that think masks are an evil conspiracy. You know, that whole being a mechanical engineer in Oklahoma City thing. My neighbor's oil company has banned masks in the office, even though we have a mask mandate in the city. So Hur Hur yourself.

Reactions: DarthKyrie and Muse

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Millions of people living in blue areas have hands on jobs. I don't think you realize the amount of service related jobs there are out there.
Don't you know, only "real Americans" can do "real work." Even though California produces more manufactured goods and agriculture products than any other state. They are just a bunch of tea sippers, sitting at home talking about pronoun usage on zoom meetings.

Nevermind, less than 1% of the ND workforce works in the oil industry, much less on a rig. Also rig activity is off about 66% per the EIA, so you know, that is the why North Dakota's number suck, nothing to do with the fact the population has been lied to and propagandized by failed leaders with evil agendas (furthering the cult for votes, at the costs of people's lives).

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
A poster here said in his part of N. Carolina if you go into a Home Depot wearing a mask "you will be assaulted." I'm guessing I saw that post around a month ago.
Attempting to assault someone in a store that carries hammers and wrenches doesn't seem like the best idea.