Anybody really know their arachnids?

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: BrunoPuntzJones
Lycosidae of some sort?

I dunno -- I've been trying to find a matching picture for the better part of an hour now. Can't seem to pin him down exactly.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
general orb weaver of some sort it appears.
what did its web look like? like the typical round, pin-wheel style that is normally the first image that comes to mind when thinking of a spider? it looks like the web is in the picture, but its so washed out its hard to hell.

if the web matches my description, it is almost certainly an orb-weaver, of some variety, based on its body shape. :)
(have a lot of orb-weavers in my area that I have run into)

Araneus diadematus
seems to match right up with it. the cross seems to be completely absent, at least in the pics you gave, but spiders in the same species don't all match each other 100%.
more pics of that species: here
it tends to be called the garden orb-weaver, and by its name it appears there may be several that online are classified as the same.
in short, its a general garden orb-weaver (a lot of orb-weavers are called simply that)

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: destrekor
general orb weaver of some sort it appears.
what did its web look like? like the typical round, pin-wheel style that is normally the first image that comes to mind when thinking of a spider? it looks like the web is in the picture, but its so washed out its hard to hell.

if the web matches my description, it is almost certainly an orb-weaver, of some variety, based on its body shape. :)
(have a lot of orb-weavers in my area that I have run into)

The flash against the white siding of the house is wiping out the web. He started building it about an hour or two ago, so I haven't seen it complete in the daylight. I'll check in the morning.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
That looks like it almost exactly. Just a big 'ole garden spider.

My wife can rest a little easier tonight knowing it won't come and attack her...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Originally posted by: Hoober
That looks like it almost exactly. Just a big 'ole garden spider.

My wife can rest a little easier tonight knowing it won't come and attack her...

yep, quite harmless. They tend to keep to themselves and build up a web. Quite beneficial to a garden, and tend to be attracted to gardens for the exact same reason as why they are beneficial: they love bugs. They are the good guys of spiders. Something I have to tell myself as I absolutely hate spiders, while at the same time intrigued by them. I actually got up close to one of those Cross Orb Weavers that was in my backyard and took a few photos and made a thread about it here, cannot for the life of me remember what the point of the thread was... could have been to find out the identity as well.
hmm, imagine that lol

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
Very few species of spiders actually can live indoors - so chances are it's just a harmless house spider.

Definitely not a wolf spider.

scott916

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2005
That's definitely an orb-weaving garden spider. I've been seeing them all over the place in my front yard recently, they make some really cool webs.

hzl eyed grl

Super Moderator<br>Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
I've officially got a case of the willies!

I do, however, like looking at pics like that of bugs and such, but for some reason it gave me the willies. :Q haha

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Ya, you see this is a specimen of the Living Arachnid variety. A rolled up newspaper will quickly turn it into its' proper form, the Dead Arachnid variety. I won't keep you from it, good luck, aim well, post back if you have survived.

DefDC

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Yup. Garden spiders. Historically known as good luck! And they eat a TON of pests! Check around the rest of the outside of your home. I'll bet you have a few more.

I have a baby who made a home on our back door light. I try to remember to leave the light on to help feed him. :)

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
We've got these spiders that are about the size of a quarter, covered in black hair, and have a white dash mark on top of their abdomen. They're all over our garden. Talk about creepy-crawly. MAN those things are scary.

GAH! THIS IS IT!!!

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Well, it was gone this morning.

I decided that as long as it didn't try to get into the house, I wouldn't turn it into the Dead Arachnid Variety.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
Originally posted by: Fritzo
We've got these spiders that are about the size of a quarter, covered in black hair, and have a white dash mark on top of their abdomen. They're all over our garden. Talk about creepy-crawly. MAN those things are scary.

GAH! THIS IS IT!!!

i forgot what my g/f calls those..she has some cute name for them though...

when she finds one she'll catch it and let it crawl on her arms...they move super quick, and can and will jump.

we have all kinds of spiders where i live... a HUGE variety....i live in a wooded area in N texas... we have brown recluses (see one once a month or so), wolf spiders (i see those just about every day), and even a few black widows every now and then..

my g/f was actually bit by a black widow a few years ago.... we were sitting down at this campground area that no one uses, sitting on a wooden picnic table, and she felt something on her leg.... so she turns to look and sees a big (like quarter sized almost, and thats HUGE for a black widow) black widow attached to her leg, she didnt feel the sting..but got a welp shortly after in the exact spot... my moms a doctor so we called her and she said just monitor her blood pressure and keep her laying on her back and it wont be too bad... said if we saw any signs of a severe allergic reaction go straight to the ER..

she had a strange headache, and body aches for about 2 days and then she was fine... she's tough when it comes to bug bites and what not...

Tiamat

Lifer
Nov 25, 2003
Originally posted by: Fritzo

GAH! THIS IS IT!!!

GAHHHH... Runs away...