anybody play the new tekken on ps3?

bactiman

Apr 26, 2004
I got it couple of days ago, well worth it if you are a fan of tekken. There are 3 new characters to play with and its in HD. The downside was the lack of practice mode since its a direct copy of the arcade.

Apr 17, 2005
i havent ever played a tekken game. i'm a huge soul caliber fan and havent really played any of the other "next-gen" or "3-d" fighters (before soul caliber, I played Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter).

I like fighting games though and I'm looking for something cheap and fun to play with my buddies when they come over. I dont want to spend the 60 bucks on virtua fighter so I was hoping this would be a good alternate.

bactiman

Apr 26, 2004
If you liked soul caliber you will not be disappointed with tekken. I was a little disappointed with the lack of practice mode I wanted to practice with the newer characters. I got virtua fighter 5 also, very polished game. Since its a little bit more complex fighting game its hard to fight a good opponent and the cpu can be very cheesy.

Apr 17, 2005
neither of the games have an online mode right? Are they planning on making that available through an update or something?

Apocalypse23

Golden Member
Jul 14, 2003
I just got this, it definitely is a good amount of fun. The last console game I had owned was Tekken 3 on ps1 (pc gamer here, got ps3 for bluray mainly) and never having played any of the others, I can say this a very genuine game, true to it's roots. It does feel a bit like Tekken3, but obviously a lot more polished in every aspect.

There are downsides to the game though, apart from no practice mode and no cgi cutscenes if you 'win' the game, it's really all about 'juggling' characters...meaning as long as you keep them up in midair, you will win. This can get frustrating at times.

I've also ordered Virtua fighter 5 so I'm waiting to get that...but I expect it to be more sophisticated and have better visuals.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad
neither of the games have an online mode right? Are they planning on making that available through an update or something?
Not that I've heard. According to the ArsTechnica review Virtua Fighter is a technical fighter that require frame-accurate responses from the players, so any lag would change the game.

Tekken 5 is a budget game, so they'll probably hold online back for the $60 Tekken 6.

Oblivion is out now for PS3 if you haven't already played it on PC or Xbox. I put in over 100 hours on the PC version, great "sandbox" RPG game. (No user mods except on the PC though.)