Anybody own a CyberPower UPS?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

manly

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
I just went and looked still have my old/dead Cyberpower CP425GA for some reason ... it has a single battery model CPS5.5-12.

Battery can be replaced for around $25 (refurb) but I didn't bother because it barely had enough power to let even an efficient PC shut down properly and lasted about a year. Ended up replacing it with an APC XS-1200 I found on a back shelf at Staples with a damaged box for $35. (the tall beige one with an 80 mm fan in the back) which is still humming along 12+ years later. Been awhile but as I recall the XS has one big battery too lazy to look.
The old XS has one big cartridge, but that actually has a pair of standard SLA batteries connected together with a proprietary cable. It's usually somewhat cheaper to buy equivalent generic batteries and re-use the original cable, but it's not exactly "cheap" since you're buying two batteries.

I got lucky and bought an OEM cartridge a year ago for a very competitive price. Main problem with old UPS's is that they do signaling only via RS-232 serial. I actually hardly use the UPS anymore since I'm never on a desktop PC. I've been too lazy to set up a new rig that I'll never bother to use. :rolleyes:

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Lot of newer APCs are doing that too, they basically have a spacer and cable setup with two generic batteries. Fairly simple to change thankfully.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
I have or had 2. The older 550VA model is still going strong and is probably over 10 years old. I change the battery when one of our frequent power outages lets my system shut down before the power comes back on. Cheap monitoring system I have. HAHA, power just went out as I am typing this but cyberpower saved the day. coinkydink but this is my main need for a UPS, not long run times.

The more expensive tower I bought after the one above gave up the ghost after only one battery change so about 4 years. Started getting very warm and no BU power so I ditched it.