Anybody noticed this thing in Prey

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
sorry, just wanted to tell you that you already know what the problem is and what all I have tried.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Originally posted by: akshayt
12X10 without AA and AF is fine, with either is crap.

HDD C:\XP drive of 11GB+, had less than 2GB free, earlier, I uninstalled thing and increased free space to around 5GB before installing Prey.

That's not enough space for a scratch drive - 2GB. Even 5GB is pushing it since Prey could very well use HD space to cache just as Windows is doing it. You should have made C:\ larger, so that you've always got about 10GB free.

Change your scratch drive to a partition with more free space. Go to:
Control Panels > System > Advanced tab > (Performance) Settings > Advanced and under Virtual Memory click Change, pick a new drive with >9GB free space and set it with at least 2GB for Initial Size (3GB recommended) and 4GB or 5GB for Maximum Size.

CCC AI: disabled or standard.

Standard.

Haven't tried CAT 6.9, are they better than CAT 6.6/6.8, omega 6.7

It was for me :) .

RAM is at 3-3-3-8 2T Divider 333. HTT 240 X 4x

Should I try at stock if all this can cause so many troubles?

Sure, give it a shot at stock. You should have no problems with those settings but give it a shot.

Is it possible to run 1T on that RAM or is that too much for it? 1T boosts bandwidth by 10-15% (but is very taxing and usually you need good stuff to do it... most OCZ memory, for example, does 1T).

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
Some more tips:

12X10 with AF causing jerkiness is disturbing - it should not be doing that.

Asus A8N-E
Antec NeoHE 500

Aha! Another possiblity: the Antec NeoHE 500 . Apparently newer Antec PSU's have some conflicts with ASUS boards. Do a quick google search about Antec/Asus problems and see if theres a conflict with your board. Perhaps that could be causing the problem.

It's probably fine - my gut tells me the PSU isn't the problem. But I can guarantee you a 520W OCZ PowerStream or 500W Enermax Liberty or 535W Enermax FMA II would have no issues with that board.

----------

Another question off the top of my head: what brand is your hard drive and how much cache does it have? If it's a WD OEM drive, it might have 2MB of cache (icky).

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Originally posted by: jiffylube1024
Some more tips:

12X10 with AF causing jerkiness is disturbing - it should not be doing that.

Asus A8N-E
Antec NeoHE 500

Aha! Another possiblity: the Antec NeoHE 500 . Apparently newer Antec PSU's have some conflicts with ASUS boards. Do a quick google search about Antec/Asus problems and see if theres a conflict with your board. Perhaps that could be causing the problem.

It's probably fine - my gut tells me the PSU isn't the problem. But I can guarantee you a 520W OCZ PowerStream or 500W Enermax Liberty or 535W Enermax FMA II would have no issues with that board.

----------

Another question off the top of my head: what brand is your hard drive and how much cache does it have? If it's a WD OEM drive, it might have 2MB of cache (icky).

You beat me to it. I always use a 20GB partition for Windows XP (C: Drive). Seems like a lot? Well, when you have 160GB of space, 20 is not a whole lot to lose. Windows XP uses a LOT of virtual memory.

schneiderguy

Lifer
Jun 26, 2006
after that the sound was kept low-med settings practically whatever is the min possible for keeping osund but around medium loudness.

i think you're confusing volume and sound quality. turn the SOUND QUALITY down, not the volume

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
1)Prey is installed on F drive which has around 70GB free. Does C still matter now as it has about 5GB free.

2)1T and Asus A8N E often don't go together.

3)Antec has fixed the issue in revision A3 and higher, new PSUs has no problems.

4)Other games too have problems.

Mostly problems are in those games in which there is too much eyecandy. In games like UT04 and Prey, I am fine at decent settings, like UT04 12X10 MAX some AA and AF but with 6x AAA Temporal it is crap. In Prey it is fine at 10X7 and settings I mentioned earler while it craps out at 12X10 with AF or AA or both.

Some games likfe unpatched FEAR, MW demo have problems at each setting, however low they may be.

Games like HL2 are fine at around 12X10.

Loast Coast is choppy during fights at 12X10 AA AF.

SS2 is fine around 10X7 med but after that it is choppy.

TimeShift also has a bit of consistent problems at a range of settings.

Mostly games run fine as long as they are no GPU intensive from what I feel.

Temps:
MOBO: 48 idle
are they normal?

BTW I have a Seagate SATA NCQ 160GB HDD.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It sounds like you're doing most things right but a couple things have me worried. AF should not be affecting performance even in a tangible way - it's virtually "free" on modern cards.

When you mention using 6X AAA, are you setting it in the driver or what? Going from no AA to 6x AAA is like going up in resolution two to three notches. Work your way up one AA step at a time (2X > 4X > 6X) and see how performance is affected. Adaptive AA is a performance killer for some games, well 6X AAA at any rate.

------

Lost Coast is more of a tech demo and can dip at times. It shouldn't be choppy though, but the framerate will fluctuate and dip in firefights.

One thing I've found out with experience is that the IDE drivers for Nforce4 boards are crap. Just something you have to work with owning one of those boards - otherwise they're rock solid! (as long as you never ever use the hardware firewall, of course!).

--------

I'm not a huge fan of the A8N-E -- a lot of people have been reporting problems with them/premature motherboard death, etc. The DFI LP UT Ultra-D is a much more solid board than the A8N-E.

--------

C:\ having 5 gb free should be fine but 10GB+ would be ideal.

When was the last time you defragged your hard drive? I'd suggest doing a thorough defrag, that could very well be the problem.

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
I never defrag my HDD. I installed windows maybe about a month or so back and will reinstall it after about 2 weeks.

Ut04 should run fine on my system with 6x AAA but it doesn't. Prey I tried with 4x AF no AA, still crap.

HL2 is choppy during fights.

I don't install IDE drivers or even if I did, now I think the problems with them have gone, anyway I think I have tried both ways.

I can't change my mobo, I am not that rich. Besides Asus A8N E is overall a really good mobo except a few small probs.

What should I do? Can it be a heating/cable management issue?

In my cabinet, all cables are cluttered up and a much is hanging just over the RAM, can that be a RAM heating issue?

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
I never defrag my HDD

This is a problem. Would you drive a car without changing oil, and just replace the engine every once in a while?

I don't install IDE drivers or even if I did, now I think the problems with them have gone, anyway I think I have tried both ways.

You have me thouroughly convinced that you have no idea how important it is to properly install an OS, drivers and maintain a system. At this point I don't know if your problem can be easily fixed without a complete overhaul of your system. Go to tweakguides.com and download the TweakGuides Tweaking Companion (it's a PDF file) and follow it. It tells you everything you need to know about how to properly install, tweak and maintain WinXP. There are also guides for installing chipset, motherboard and video drivers as well as many different games.

Once you have done all that, and followed the directions exactly, you shouldn't have any more problems.

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
It is full and patched.

Nvidia nforce drives have known issues with IDE drivers and it is recommended to not use them. Please ask anybody if you doubt me. Anyway I think I have tried with and without the drivers, the problem remains intact.

I usually don't need to defrag the HDD becoz I format pretty often and I try to install nothing much in the XP partition.

akshayt

Banned
Feb 13, 2004
Haven't. Look I know about drivers, I have done all the driver install and uninstall you people told me. What more do you want me to do now?

Can you please just make a guess what the problem can be?

Can it be becoz of heating, bad ventilation, faulty card?

aka1nas

Diamond Member
Aug 30, 2001
The lack of defragging coupled with your small C partition might be causing some of the performance performance issues. To be honest, I would rip out that SB Live and use the onboard audio. You aren't getting better performance with a sound card that old and creative drivers are pretty bad.

sodcha0s

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2001
Haven't. Look I know about drivers, I have done all the driver install and uninstall you people told me. What more do you want me to do now?

Can you please just make a guess what the problem can be?

Can it be becoz of heating, bad ventilation, faulty card?

It's much more than just about drivers, it goes very in depth on windows installation and setup, performance settings and tweaks, virtual memory management, BIOS settings and a lot more. It is very informative. Try it, I guarantee you will learn a lot and if you follow all the steps, you will have a much more rersponsive and faster running machine.

We have all tried to give you our best guesses at what could be causing your problem, and for the most part you haven't really tried to correct any of it. So, how can we possibly help any further? There is no magic answer, you will have to do a little work and research on your own. My final suggestion is for you to get the latest drivers for everything in your system including BIOS, go to the tweakguides link I provided and print the section on installing windows. Then do a fresh install following those directions exactly. Then install service packs and drivers in the exact order the guide suggests, etc. Basically follow that guide all the way through. It will take quite a bit of time, but your system will either run smooth as butter, or you will know why it doesn't, and then be able to fix it. I don't know what else to tell you.

jiffylube1024

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2002
It is full and patched.

Nvidia nforce drives have known issues with IDE drivers and it is recommended to not use them. Please ask anybody if you doubt me. Anyway I think I have tried with and without the drivers, the problem remains intact.

I usually don't need to defrag the HDD becoz I format pretty often and I try to install nothing much in the XP partition.

Try installing the Nvidia IDE drivers if you haven't. I know they are not very good (I benchmarked them and they're often worse than the default windows ones), but they use more CPU %- sometimes in the realm of 5-10%. With dual core, it's a drop in the bucket, but with a single CPU clock cycles matter.

--------

Regarding bad cable management, etc - that shouldn't affect it. RAM doesn't throttle -- if the RAM screws up it will just crash (which it isn't, so that's not the problem).

I'm really stumped at this point... Your system should be fast enough - your video card is certainly capable, and you have 2GB of RAM... You've got the latest chipset drivers.

----------

At least humour us and run the windows defrag program "ANALYZE" setting (it doesnt defrag when you click analyze - just gives you a picture of your HD's data and tell you the fragmentation %. Report back with that. It's located under:

Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Computer Management and then Disk Defragmenter on the left side of the window. Click "Analyze" on your C drive (and also the drive the game is installed to) and tell us how it looks/fragmentation %.

And quite honestly you should just run a defrag after that. A fresh windows install can get fragmented when you install programs, especially since a lot of stuff automatically dumps the installers into temp files on C.

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
@sod, what you are saying is more or less what I have already done nth no of times.

what you think you have done . . . ;)

and good luck . . . i read thru it all and i have no further suggestions that you can use that has not been stated over-and-over

it's a real disappointment having a very nice rig and knowing it is not running like it should :(