Anybody Know Window/Door Repair?


Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
Is that single pane? If it is, then its replaceable. You have to carefully take out the wood moulding that surrounds the glass, then take out the [points?] the little metal things that hold the pane in, then take out the old glass, put in a new piece, use new points and glaze and you should be set. Now, if the door isn't wood, then...I don't really know.


Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
You should not have to take out any of the wood moulding. The glass should be held in with points and glazing compund. Just heat it up with a hair dryer and remove it with a putty knife.

If you have to take out the wooden moulding (which would be wierd) be careful becaue it is probably held in with courigated staples which are a PITA to remove.

BTW, all door glass is tempered. You can't just go to Home Depot or Lowes to get this. They only sell standard glass. You have to go to a glass shop. The glass that HD and Lowes style places sell will crack if you clsoe the door too hard.

If they cut it with a class cutting wheel, it is not tempered, and will shatter if installed in your door.