Anybody know what happened to GoGamer.com ?

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
The site has been down for several months, but there was always a message saying they were just revamping the site, and it would be back up shortly.
That was in May and before...

Now, upon going there, all you see is...well...take a look:

www.gogamer.com

Part of their URL now is "/shop_closed". Permanently? Anyone know?

Their 48 hour madness sales usually had some great deals, rivaling many of the STEAM and digital sales out there now. It would be sad to see them go...

jlee

Lifer
Sep 12, 2001
That explains why I haven't been getting 48hr madness emails lately. :(

motsm

Golden Member
Jan 20, 2010
I noticed they were liquidating their stock over at the Amazon marketplace not too long ago, not that much was left by the time I noticed. Though they still have a few things listed there now.

dud

Diamond Member
Feb 18, 2001
Bummer ...

Competion is good for gamer ... it keeps prices down.

brandonb

Diamond Member
Oct 17, 2006
There is a guy at GoGamer named Jason that went into game development and created the game - Rise of Flight. I'm not sure if he was the owner of GoGamer or just an employee or what, but I know they have been very active on that game, and may have neglected or gave up being a store. Not sure.

crownjules

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2005
Bummer ...

Competion is good for gamer ... it keeps prices down.

Yeah, but you have to admit there was probably too many for the market to handle. Steam is obviously the biggest DD. There's D2D and GamersGate that also fill the same space. GOG specializes in just older games. Plus you have Microsoft, EA, and Blizzard all with their own game catalogs online and probably other companies as well. And there's probably a dozen or so other niche distribution services, whether for certain game genres from lesser known devs or country/region/language specific ones.

Last edited:

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
I thought there was a message not that long ago that said they were re-vamping the site or something. is it now officially out of business?

PhatoseAlpha

Platinum Member
Apr 10, 2005
Yeah, but you have to admit there was probably too many for the market to handle. Steam is obviously the biggest DD. There's D2D and GamersGate that also fill the same space. GOG specializes in just older games. Plus you have Microsoft, EA, and Blizzard all with their own game catalogs online and probably others. And there's probably a dozen or so other niche distribution services, whether for certain game genres from lesser known devs or country/region/language specific ones.

Er, GoGamer had a download services?

Via

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2009
Too bad, that place was great.

I got at least 30+ boxed games from them, often 5 or 6 at a time. I just open Call of Juarez, game I got from them years ago.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I bought a lot of stuff from them. Realized a month or two ago that I wasn't get their emails anymore. I remember seeing that message about revamping, it'd be a shame if they closed up for good.