Anybody know much about solar powered greenhouses?

Dec 27, 2001
So my first atempt at gardening was a row of 20 lettuce and 20 basil. They grew to tiny buds in just a few days and have thrived for the past three weeks. The lettuce had leaves about 3-4 inches long.

Everything was going great two days ago. Yesterday I discovered that several of the plants were infested with little green caterpillars. Overnight, they ate one entire plant. I went out last night and got some "garden friendly" insecticide and sprayed the plants this morning, but now I don't want to eat them especially if I need to spray them a couple times a week for the next few months. :( I'm just killing the caterpillars for spite.

So, nature got the first laugh, but I will get the last. I just finished building a gate for the fence I built and am feeling pretty good about my basic carpentry skills and am planning a 6' x 50' greenhouse in our backyard. It's going to have concrete footers and will be completely sealed with all openings having a fine filter or mesh covering them. No way even an aphid gets in. Of course, then I'll need a way to ventilate and cool the thing which is my question.

How much would there be to hooking up some solar panels and having them feed a battery that would power a couple fans? My fallback plan is to run an electric cable underground when I run the water over there, but I'd love for it to be self-contained.

733SHiFTY

Banned
Jun 22, 2005
Roiiiiight, lettuce and basil, we all know what your greenhouse is for. If you need advice, check out the FAQs here. :laugh:

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Originally posted by: woowoo
Consider "Co-planting"
Planting other plants to get rid of bugs.

That would help, but I want 100% defense.

Riiiiiight....100%....well, for that, you're gonna need to contact these guys

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001
I suggest building the green house on a foundation (not footers). Footers might move (one in regards to the other) and this might crack things.
You might use a greenhouse covered with transparent plastic sheets or with glass. If you have filters, the ventilation will take care for herself. You might need to water it daily, if the temperature in it is high.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I have nothing to add, but I really found this thread title humorous:

"Anybody know much about solar powered greenhouses?"

As in all greenhouses are solar powered... Of course I read your thread and say you were referring to solar powered fans. But the topic of a solar powered greenhouse is funny.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: dullard

As in all greenhouses are solar powered... Of course I read your thread and say you were referring to solar powered fans. But the topic of a solar powered greenhouse is funny.

Hey now! My greenhouse is buried over a mile underground and massive xenon gas lights are powered by a nuclear reactor.

Just because you're living in the stone age, doesn't mean we all are ;)

WW

Golden Member
Jun 21, 2001
there are organic methods of dealing with caterpillars....look up BT (Bacillus thuringiensis ).

check with your local gardening center or agriculture extension office...

cliftonite

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2001
Originally posted by: So

Hey now! My greenhouse is buried over a mile underground and massive xenon gas lights are powered by a nuclear reactor.

Just because you're living in the stone age, doesn't mean we all are ;)

:Q

Calin

Diamond Member
Apr 9, 2001

There are greenhouses that are heated during winter, so they might produce their summer-crops

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Calin

There are greenhouses that are heated during winter, so they might produce their summer-crops

Mine is tended 24/7 buy a race of mole people that I engineerd to be happy living deep underground. There was a rebellion once, but, let's just say that eunuchs are much more docile.