Anybody into home audio??

flyer351

Dec 23, 2000
Hi everyone,
I have searched the internet for answers and found NOTHING. So I came back to the forum.
Anybody have a A/V receiver that gets extremely hot to the touch. Like overclocked-V3-with-no-fan hot!! I bought a Technics receiver from Best Buy and now the thing will almost burn me after watching a DVD. This doesn't seem normal and its really bugging me out. Comments anyone?

glen

Lifer
Apr 28, 2000
Too hard to tell.
You will actually have to get a thermometer and measure the case temp. inorder to tell if it is TOO hot or not.

bunker

Lifer
Apr 23, 2001
Where's it stashed? Is there plenty of room for airflow around it? I hope you don't have any other components on top of it.

I read another thread in one of these forums (don't think it was OT) about Technics receivers heating up. As I recall one guy said his gets hot enough to fry an egg on but he hasn't had any problems with it. Search through some of the other forums for 'Technics'.

flyer351

Dec 23, 2000
The receiver is in my entertainment center. Nothing stacked directly on top of it. I admit, the airflow in the entertainment center is probably stale. But none of the other components get as hot as that Technics receiver.

BTW, thanks for the forum link. It looks like a good place to check out.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
I know you probably already know this, but you might want to check the load you are putting on it. You do know about proper impedance matching? Well, if I remember correctly, you shouldn't put speakers with a (higher?) impedance than what the amp is rated for, like most amps are rated for 8ohms, and you shouldn't put a 16 ohm speaker on it...or it could be the other way around...I always forget this rule. This could be the reason why it is heating as much as it is. I will look into this a little further.

Capn

Platinum Member
Jun 27, 2000
I'm no expert on the receiver you mentioned but electrical power output is equal to the supply voltage over the resistance squared or P=V/R^2. So you can put a higher impedence load on your amp and it should be ok, just not a lower impedence load.

TechnoKid

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2001
ahh, yes, putting a lower impedance load on your reciever will cause it to heat up, and is generaaly not a good thing to so. But a lot of high-current recievers are rated between 4-8 ohms, which should be ok. I have 4 ohm speakers on my 8 ohm amp, and it works great, a little more heat than usual, but the amp drives the speakers fine. If you reciever has an "A/B" connectors for the front-main, I would reccomend not to drive both A/B at the same time, unless it does it in "series" mode, otherwise the impedance will be too low.

gygheyzeus

Golden Member
May 3, 2001
Here is your problem: It's a Technics :(

just buggin ya. make sure its well-ventillated (sp?)... a lot of manuals will tell how much clearence above the receiver you need. I know a lot of them ask for 6-12 inches of clearence.

MagnusKain

Banned
Oct 10, 1999
should be fine, but if there's anyone going to get near it, best you put it up high, and away from flamibles.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
Airflow is the key. I leave the glass door open when I'm using my system. I don't have the clearence that Yamaha states in the manual.

thebestMAX

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2000
Have 2 Technics Receivers and both run extremely hot and probably will continue to do so for many years.

Oldest one is about 7-8 years old and gets so hot you can hardly stand to touch it. Doesnt seem to bother it at all. I used to worry about it but I guess the big heatsinks it uses just get very hot.

Had a friend with the same model who ran it at ear splitting volume all day long. He is dead now but the receiver is still working fine.

Experience with 4 Technics recievers, all ran very hot and not one ever failed.

sharkeeper

Lifer
Jan 13, 2001
Most if not all consumer audio electronic equipment has thermal protection. If the heatsinks get too hot on the output devices, it will shut them down.

Cheers!

pulse8

Lifer
May 3, 2000
Isn't there an issue with Technics receivers getting really hot? I think they've discussed it some in the Hot Deals forum when there was a Technics deal going on.

David

jacobnero6918

Sep 30, 2000
The reason it gets hot is because the heatsink is to small and you may be driving to low of impedance. With 4 ohms or lower the need for current goes way up. Some makers will put fans on there amps and recievers but hometheater people don't like them because they make noise during a movie.

Better made recievers like the Harman Kardon have HUGE heatsinks to keep the reciever cool but those heatsinks are expensive and thats why you pay more. Well that and the better sound quality.