Anybody here use Google Wi-Fi (Router)? Looking for user experience...

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Have been using TM-AC1900 converted to RT-AC68U/Merlin some time now, almost 2 years iirc, maybe more. First one died few months back, had another one of them sitting around for while (bought with the intention of using it as a repeater, but never completed that project) have been using it since, but its 2.5 GHz is not working properly...

So the first option is to buy another one of these TM-AC1900, fix and use, OR, have been thinking about trying google. My house is not that big, RT-AC68U is enough, 3 of the Google wifi would be overkill but still willing to try, looking for 1st hand experience, review, feedback...

Also, right now, router is in the study and the 1st LAN port is connected to a switch via 100' cable upstairs, (connecting 4 devices: Roku, SteamLink, AVR, PC) and the other 3 also in use in the study (Smartthings, Obihai, PC). So if I go with Google, I will have to connect another switch, basically cascading it...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, there's the privacy issues with Google monetizing your data/traffic that you might want to be concerned about.

That said, if you have a gigabit internet service, I've heard that those Google mesh routers won't really perform as well as you would like.

I too use an AC68U/R router, running Tomato. Have a couple of spare units too, bought with the idea of using WDS, but now that the factory firmware has AiMesh, been thinking about that.

That being said, why not buy a couple of more of those routers, and set up AiMesh, rather than Google mesh?

Newegg has the AC1900P on ebay for $74.99.

The more that I learn about wifi, and correlating it with my own insomnia and brain issues, the more I fear that it IS in fact dangerous, and the public has been fed a pile of horse manure.

I've had my desktops hard-wired for a while now, and generally disable my USB3.0 AC wifi dongles (backup, in case the wired goes down or I have to take it down for maint.), and I've even disabled my laptop's wifi adapter, and ran a wire (flat ethernet is really neat) to it, even in my bed.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
Yeah, Google collecting data is certainly a downer, but then who isn't... Microsoft, Android, Spectrum are all doing it anyways, one more company is not that big of a deal. But I have scrapped that idea, sticking with AC68U for now, ordered one today, thx for the link.

No I do not have Gigabit... still stuck with peasently 200 mbps connection from Spectrum.

I really do not need mesh or accesspoint/repeater. Even though the router is almost at one end of the house, I get consistent "fair" signal on 5ghz at the other end. There's even a Roku stick in that room and it never struggles streaming Sling or Netflix. So a single router is all I need.

I too am concerned about the implications of wifi signals on mental health but its unavoidable... Wife and Kids and even myself, carry Laptops and tables all around the house. I even tried to turn off the wifi at night but my wife, a workaholic, has habit or working at odd hours so that too is not an option. What's worse is that at my work, we just moved to a brand new building an it does not even have Ethernet, its all wifi only. Its a pretty hopeless situation...

razel

Platinum Member
May 14, 2002
Google does not use GWiFi to collect your Internet data.

GWiFi/onHub is my default recommendation to friends and family for the past 2 years. It averages $83 per puck or ~$250 on sale (currently $258 at BestBuy) for the 3 pack. Even though there are other great MESH system now like Netgear Orbi/Linksys Velop, my most recent benchmark put GWiFi's WiFi performance shockingly right up there (even with a mean ASUS RT-AC5300) at 730mb/s even off it's measly 866mb/s 2 stream AC radio. However if you tinker with WiFi settings a lot, you'll hate it.

If I were to do it all over again, I still would buy GWiFi for friends and family. It's easy for you and them to manage and Google's software prowess with security is unmatchable. However, ASUS' AiMesh and Ubiquiti is pretty awesome for a budding network admin/computer hobbiest. For yourself, since your router does support AiMesh, I recommend buying the ASUS AC86 at Microcenter for $300 for 2 and use it with AiMesh. I don't know how long that deal will last. Details are on their June eCatalog. If you can wire-up your home Ubiquiti with the Edgerouter and their AC APs are quite a deal, but their APs best (or only) used if wired.

By the way, if coverage is currently fine, you could wait. ASUS has announced their wireless AX routers today which undoubtable will be part of their AiMesh family. That will just drive prices down for their beastly GT-AC5300. I recommend that router since it outperforms Ubiquiti with Internet routing based off smallnetbuilder's HTTP score. In fact Google WiFi matches it as well.

Last edited:

Kkumar99

Apr 6, 2019
I was using aimesh with 3 RT-AC68U. Speeds were usually good, but had to many issues with dropped nodes/signal. Firmware, etc were all updated. Finally got annoyed enough to try the Google WiFi. I was a little hesitant because there are a lot of reviews with dropped signal with Goggles WiFi, so I bought from Costco in case I needed to return. It's a night and day difference between the two systems. Google WiFi has been just as fast if not faster and in 1 week so far, I have not had a single signal drop. With aimesh, it was a multiple times a day occurrence. Anyone having the same issue, but need coverage, I would strongly consider the Google WiFi system. Have been happy so far.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Hmm. I recently deployed a 4-node (master + 3 AiMesh nodes) network. I haven't had too many drop-outs, even using "refurb" gear. I did put the newest 3/29 or 3/31/2019 firmware on them though.

I'm also on a single floor, two-room apt., basically. So not a lot of distance, they "mesh" using 5Ghz.

I've gotten speedtests from 300Mbit/sec (CPU loaded) to 500Mbit/sec (CPU unloaded).