Anybody got that Letterman vid with the kid in the background

Kerouactivist

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2001
he was talking about it last nite....
Some kid in the background looking uninterested while bush was talking
Said the the bush administration was upset and said that the vid was made up
From the website:

"So what?s new with the CNN/White House flap? Monday we showed a clip of a speech given by the President from March 20 at the Orange County Convention Center in Orlando, Florida. Directly behind the President stood a boy of 14 or so bored to tears. While the President spoke, the lad yawned, stretched, yawned some more, checked his watch, took a knee, yawned, and fell asleep standing up near the end. It was a very humorous actual clip we uncovered. Well, CNN played the clip the next day, Tuesday morning, stating that the White House had called and said the Late Show did some editing to the piece and it never happened. Two hours later, CNN showed the clip again and this anchor person said that the boy was at the speech, but was not standing behind the President as we had seen.

Dave informs America that neither statement from CNN is true. The boy was at the rally and the boy was standing behind the President. Something strange is going on, and Dave smells a cover up. CNN is now saying the White House never called them. But why would CNN say the White House HAD called if the White House never did? Hmmm. And Dave reveals that our source, a very good source, confirms the White House DID call the CNN. Hoo boy, this is getting interesting. While Condoleeza Rice is testifying in front of the 9/11 Commission, perhaps she can shed some light on this as well.

Perhaps the White House truly believes the kid wasn?t there due to faulty intelligence. "

Anybody know where I can get a vid cap????

SaltBoy

Diamond Member
Aug 13, 2001
Yeah, I'm wondering, too. He made a big deal about it last night on the show, but nothing was shown.

virtueixi

Platinum Member
Jun 28, 2003
OMG the white house is retarded if they are trying to cover something like this up. BTW, I know that it is retarded to call the white house retarded.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
The White House really wasn't upset over the video. CNN made an error.

D'oh

CNN Red-Faced Over Letterman Error

Meanwhile, what began on David Letterman's "Late Show" as a comedy bit needling President Bush turned into a comedy of errors when CNN incorrectly reported that the White House had cried foul.

Then Letterman - apparently not getting CNN's message that it had made the mistake until he was well into his Tuesday broadcast - only heightened the confusion.

The whole thing started during a collection of video clips Letterman showed Monday under the label "George W. Bush Invigorates America's Youth."

One showed Bush at a March rally in Orlando, Fla., standing at a lectern with several listeners behind him -- among them, a boy in his early teens who could barely stay awake. While Bush spoke, the young man yawned, twisted his head, checked his watch and generally seemed dead on his feet.

Tuesday morning, CNN attempted to lighten its news mood by running the segment, credited to CBS' "Late Show with David Letterman," on its "CNN Live Today."

But then CNN host Daryn Kagan added: "We're being told by the White House that the kid, as funny as he was, was edited into that video, which would explain why the people around him weren't really reacting."

Later, during CNN's "Live From ...," anchor Kyra Phillips reran the tape but cautioned viewers: "We're told that the kid was there at that event, but not necessarily standing behind the president."

The truth was: The White House never complained, and the footage was real.

On his Tuesday telecast, Letterman aired Kagan's and Phillips' skeptical remarks and ranted: "An out-and-out, 100 percent absolute lie. The kid absolutely was there and he absolutely was doing everything we pictured via the videotape. ...

"So when you cast your vote in November," he urged, "just remember that the White House was trying to make ME look like a DOPE."

By then, CNN had owned up to its mistake, and placed a call to Letterman's New York headquarters before the 5:30 p.m. taping began. But the tape was already rolling before Letterman got the word.

"According to this," he said during the show, referring to an index card in his grasp, "CNN has just phoned and ... the anchorwoman misspoke. They never got a comment from the White House. It was a CNN mistake."

So then he wailed: "Now I've called the White House liars, and you know what that means - they're going to start looking into my taxes!"

Though CNN spokeswoman Christa Robinson noted that "we frequently air late-night comedy show clips," on Thursday she confirmed the "misunderstanding among our staff" surrounding the yawning-boy video.

Meanwhile, Kagan made an on-air show of contrition.

"Dave, we apologize for the error," she said, offering to come on his show for a Stupid Human Trick.

misle

Diamond Member
Nov 30, 2000
The "sleepy kid" is going to be on Letterman tonight. I'm sure they will play the clip again.

edit: Dman you SaltBoy!! Guess I was too slow...

Bulk Beef

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2001
The video is funny as sh!t, but this whole things really makes CNN look like a bunch of fvcking idiots. Who the hell is doing their fact checking? Who the hell is making this stuff up? I'm not going to get into a big "liberal media" conspiracy thing, because I think they're more incompetent than anything else.

KC5AV

Golden Member
Jul 26, 2002
I agree... very poor reporting from CNN. It makes everyone involved look bad - Letterman, CNN...

Squisher

Lifer
Aug 17, 2000
I watched it live and thought it was fake, being April Fools and all.

If it isn't fake why didn't someone smack that kid in the back of the head?

43st

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 2001
What a bunch of inept liars. Seems they ought to be better at lying by now... maybe too many spot lights are turning on them. Who knows.