Anybody fold in a box?

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
I recently got my old P4 rig back up, and have a 3.2GHz Celeron waiting on a s775 HSF. I don't have any spare cases, nor do I want any more (I'm in a dormitory) - anyone have any experience mounting motherboards and such on cardboard/wood? I've got basic tools and if I can scavenge some wood I could use that as well.

Besides the lack of protection for components and the increased EM radiation, is there anything else I should be wary of? My bed is raised about 4 feet off the ground so I can fit the two rigs on a cardboard/wood platform under it.

Or I could sell these two and buy an Opteron 170 for my main rig...

Ayah

Platinum Member
Jan 1, 2006
I suggest using milk containers and zip ties.

Don't step on it. Dunno any other reasons bout it.

Kinslayer777

Sep 16, 2006
Carboard = Very very good insulation. Not a good choice. Trrrrrryyy and look for something metalish... Or, if it's carboard, make holes.

Rememeber air is an incredibly good insulator. I guess milk CARTONS would be alot better since the air isnt insulating much (it's letting it go through)

With your left over unused carboard and under the theme of folding and your title you can always make this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlWwEyiIfFs&eurl=

DISCLAIMER: I'm not really one of the high end people...I know carboard is a very good insulator. I have NO idea how bad it is for the case. Just en'general, you dont want an insulated box eh? I'm sure there are plenty of times you can get by with what you shouldnt be able to eh but just considering the fact it doesn't seem the best option. It would, i must say, be very neat.I myself would love to have my life in a carboard box, er, my computer.

RaySun2Be

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've run crunchers for long times just sitting on my wood workbench. No box, just the bare components.

For some ideas on mounting multiple crunchers (called farms or crack racks), check out this link: Crack Racks

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Back in the day when I was into crackracks and such, I did do a little dabbling with wood frames and such for supporting the motherboards and drives. In the end, I ended up using plywood sheets as the base for the motherboard/power supply/drives and mounting each in a standard 19" rack as shelves. :)

Edit: DOH!! Dennis beat me to the link by two minutes! :p

caferace

Golden Member
May 31, 2005
We should all take some pics. I'd have to say my home setup looks pretty neat. Work on the other hand... :D

-jim

networkman

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
I'll see if I can dig up a photo of one my racks from a while ago when I get home from work tonight. :)

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Originally posted by: RaySun2Be
I've run crunchers for long times just sitting on my wood workbench. No box, just the bare components.

For some ideas on mounting multiple crunchers (called farms or crack racks), check out this link: Crack Racks

Some of those farms make me envious :D

As for the water bottle/milk carton + zip tie idea, I might have to try that out. I've got plenty of plastic from 2.5 gallon water containers...

Hurricane Andrew

Golden Member
Nov 28, 2004
Would you, could you in a box?

Would you, could you in your socks?

In a box, in my socks,

On a plane or on a train,

From there to here, from here to there,

Folding happens everywhere!

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
A friend of mine once had a Pent Pro system suspended from a bicycle wheel which itself was hanging from the ceiling. The Mobo was tied to the spokes and everything else hung there on straps. Good cooling and it was fun to watch the HDD sway to and fro from the force of the platters spinning up and down.