anybody ever had to have their roof reshingled?

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
I have a 3 story town house that is about 20 years old now and I noticed the other day that a few of the shingles are missing and some of the other ones are looking loose. I'm guessing this is it's original roof and it's probably about time to have it reshingled. So far there don't appear to be any leaks or anything. If I have to guess, I would estimate that the roof area is probably around 550 sq ft. But that's a total guess as I don't happen to know the grade of the roof or the exact demensions of my house at the moment. I suppose when you take the grade into account it could be more like 800-900 sq ft. But anyway. . .I live in Maryland. Anybody have any idea on how much this kind of project typically costs to hire somebody to do it? This is my first house. I am going to start calling around for estimates but I have no real idea what I should consider reasonable estimates and whom I should tell to go F themselves. Also if you happen to live in Maryland near the washington dc / baltimore metro area and have any recommendations for good roofers you have worked with before, I'd appreciate that too. Or also if you've got advice concerning any roofer I should steer well clear of. . .it's all good.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
My parents are planning it. I think the regular type shingles are about 5k, but the ceramic/clay/wahtever the fuck material it is they said was upwards of 20k

amdskip

Lifer
Jan 6, 2001
It also depends on what kind of shingles you want to put back on it. Are the current shingles 3 tab asphalt? Most likely they are. You can spend extra and get architecture shingles that look nicer and last longer if wanted. I believe they will price it $/square and a square is a 10 x 10 area.

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Originally posted by: nakedfrog
Ten thousand?

Geez. I completely reshingled my roof last summer, including laying down some new plywood and roofjacks and flashing and everything, and it ran under 2500. That includes buying a new roofing nailer (gotta get new tools :evil:) and giving friends a few hundred bucks to help. Could've probably done it for under 1k if I hadn't decided to tear off the old shingles (and taken them to the dump) and had been satisfied with the old underlayment and flashing and had done all of the work by ourselves. Only took about two days.

bctbct

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2005
Its pretty cheap unless you have high work or the steep pitch....oh wait....

rivan

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeyIs4Dcats
get 3 bids. roofing bids can vary greatly depending on multiple factors.

Size of the roof. Pitch of the roof. Number of peaks on the roof. Material you want to use on the roof (grade of tar shingles?/metal?/slate?). Will they need to remove the existing roof, or can they shingle over it?

So, yes, get 3 bids - make sure you do your homework and understand all the terminology and get bid out for the SAME job, materials and everything.

And Angieslist is a great resource for a homeowner.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
Originally posted by: Bryophyte
Ten thousand?

Geez. I completely reshingled my roof last summer, including laying down some new plywood and roofjacks and flashing and everything, and it ran under 2500. That includes buying a new roofing nailer (gotta get new tools :evil:) and giving friends a few hundred bucks to help. Could've probably done it for under 1k if I hadn't decided to tear off the old shingles (and taken them to the dump) and had been satisfied with the old underlayment and flashing and had done all of the work by ourselves. Only took about two days.

That's why I put a question mark, I was just throwing out a number to get the ball rolling. Hopefully it'll be a few years before I find out how much mine costs to re-do.
Besides, you live in the sticks :p

Bryophyte

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Ten thousand?

That's why I put a question mark, I was just throwing out a number to get the ball rolling. Hopefully it'll be a few years before I find out how much mine costs to re-do.

Says the guy living in BF Nebraska :p

I got everything at Home Depot. :D My spouse and I are die-hard DIYers. Why pay professionals to fuck up what you can fuck up all by yourself for less than half the cost? :laugh:

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
If there's no damage under the current shingles and they can shingle over the existing ones, my guesstimate would $3-4k.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Depends on existing damage, location, size, complexity, blah blah blah. Best to just be proactive and call up local companies and ask for quotes.

Wheezer

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I would think anywhere from 3-5000 would be a starting point in your area.

Keep in mind though, DO NOT skimp on the quality of the shingle. We put our roof on in '99 by ourselves for about 1500-2000 and a majority of that was in the shingles.

It took us about 5 days between work and weather, but we have NEVER had any problems....still looks almost new.

My neighbors though, spent about 2500 a year later and had someone use a lower quality shingle and it's all faded and shingles are peeling...looks like sh*t, and I would not be surprised if they have leaks.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
When the time comes, I think I'm going to go all in and put a metal roof on. I don't think they actually cost much more and I'll likely be dead before it needs replacing again.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
ANy roofing place will give you a free estimate. Just call a couple and find out.

It's very different from place to place though...

We only paid $3500 or so for out 1500 sqft house + garage and it's a ranch.

slag

Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
2200 sq foot house, using 25 yr shingles, 2 story, we were quoted $2800 for a complete tear off, re-flash, new tarpaper, shingles, etc..

or recover for $1900.

lawrence, kansas

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Do it yourself. It is really not that hard. Tools needed:

Hammer
Nails
Nail Gun (You can get by without it)
Staples (Preferrably in a stapler that works like a hammer - this is for the tar paper you put down)
Utility Knife
Decent size T or L-Square - just to cut a straight line.
Ladder
Measuring tape

That's really about it.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: amdskip
It also depends on what kind of shingles you want to put back on it. Are the current shingles 3 tab asphalt? Most likely they are. You can spend extra and get architecture shingles that look nicer and last longer if wanted. I believe they will price it $/square and a square is a 10 x 10 area.

They probably are what you said, just standard builder grade 3 tab asphalt. And I'm not planning on putting anything fancy on there as we are probably going to be moving up to a single family home within the next 3 or 4 years. . .Maybe sooner if house prices continue to drop.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: bctbct
Its pretty cheap unless you have high work or the steep pitch....oh wait....

uh it's a roof. . .LOL. I thought high work came with the territory.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Ten thousand?

Says the guy living in BF Nebraska :p

I got everything at Home Depot. :D My spouse and I are die-hard DIYers. Why pay professionals to fuck up what you can fuck up all by yourself for less than half the cost? :laugh:

I'm not in the absolute greatest physical condition and this is 3 stories up. Why fall off and split my skull when a professional can fall off and split his for me instead? Better him than me :)