anybody ever had to have their roof reshingled?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
If there's no damage under the current shingles and they can shingle over the existing ones, my guesstimate would $3-4k.
Shingle over the existing ones as in not even take the old ones off before putting on the new ones? Is that common? That doesn't sound right to me. . .Why wouldn't they always remove the old shingles first?

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Nik
Depends on existing damage, location, size, complexity, blah blah blah. Best to just be proactive and call up local companies and ask for quotes.
That's what I'm doing starting tomorrow but I wanted to get an idea of what I should expect to hear first. All 3 guys I call could tell me $10,000 and I wouldn't know if that were too high or too low. . . but it sounds like that'd be pretty high. It's a pretty simple job. One side goes up, other side goes down. 1 peak. No jut outs or ridges or anything like that.

Thanks for all the replies so far guys. Keep 'em coming :)

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Kaido
Gerard Roofing

Stone-coating steel roofing ftw :D
uh yeah. . .it's a townhouse :)
I don't want to invest more in the roof than the house is worth LOL.
We're not gonna be living here that much longer so just the plain old asphalt stuff will do.
And it doesn't look like these guys do business in Maryland.

ahurtt

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
Originally posted by: OdiN
Do it yourself. It is really not that hard. Tools needed:

Hammer
Nails
Nail Gun (You can get by without it)
Staples (Preferrably in a stapler that works like a hammer - this is for the tar paper you put down)
Utility Knife
Decent size T or L-Square - just to cut a straight line.
Ladder
Measuring tape

That's really about it.
If it weren't high enough up that I stood a good chance of actually dying if I fell off, I might just try it. But it is, so I think I'll leave it to a pro.

Capt Caveman

Lifer
Jan 30, 2005
Originally posted by: ahurtt
Originally posted by: Capt Caveman
If there's no damage under the current shingles and they can shingle over the existing ones, my guesstimate would $3-4k.
Shingle over the existing ones as in not even take the old ones off before putting on the new ones? Is that common? That doesn't sound right to me. . .Why wouldn't they always remove the old shingles first?
Yes, it's common. Removing and disposing of the old shingles raising the cost of the installation. If you're not planning on staying there a long time, why pay extra to have them removed if you don't have to. If you already had two layers of shingles, then you'd have to have them removed.

ASK THE COMMUNITY