Anybody ever had or heard of this problem?

oz1421

Oct 15, 2007
Now I am not really looking for suggestions but rather whether or not people ever had this problem or heard of it.

This morning I was browsing the internet when my screen just went black. I restarted and after Windows XP loading process, my monitor went into power save mode. And continued to do so no matter how many times I restarted.

Then I went into safe mode (comes up fine) and after playing around there for a while I decided to uninstall the graphic drivers. After the restart it went into my normal desktop. I downloaded the newest drivers from nvidia, and after the load is complete the computer restarts again. However, still doesn't go into my desktop, my monitor goes back to power save mode (disabled btw in XP). In the end, I had to uninstall the graphics drivers (from safe mode) in order to get to my desktop.

In conclusion I think its a bad video card having problems with the graphics driver (btw was working fine for 2+ years). However, I never really come across this have any of you?

adairusmc

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2006
I remember running into that when I had my 7950GX2 back when I still had it a few years ago. IIRC it was a DVI issue for me, switching to a VGA cable fixed the problem, until I got my 8800GTX.

oz1421

Oct 15, 2007
Yeah I did try that too switching to vga - but that was too no avail. I did get off the phone with support and they are going to ship me a replacement. I am just having a hard time grasping that the video card "kind of" works. It's usually one way or the other ya know.