• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

Anybody Else Tried :Cue :Cat ?

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
So far I don't know of anyplace besides Radio Shack and Forbes magazine that use the little codes. The DigConv site lists Wired mag but haven't seen it for sure. The little bastard does work...but I'm rather disillusioned with the company. Head on over to slashdot and you'll see what I mean.

Freeze

Oct 15, 1999
That is pretty damn neat. what a deal. the price was right. you post this under hot deals? :p

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
Doesnt look particularly useful to me, but it does look like a fun free toy to take apart and play with ;)

Ornery

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I just got it before dinner this evening. It works sure enough. I scanned a few codes that weren't in its database and it popped up with a screen to enter any info you cared to.

Barcode Maker Responds After Forcing Drivers Offline
  • Posted by CmdrTaco on Tuesday September 05, @10:46AM
    from the this-is-gonna-be-messy dept.

Digital Convergence demanded last week that several developers take drivers offline that work with their "CueCat" barcode reader that was distributed freely through Radio Shack and through other places. They have taken the time to respond to the flak that they've taken, and I've attached their response below, interspersed with a few comments of my own. Read on to see what they have to say for themselves.
    http://slashdot.org/articles/00/09/05/0548211.shtml
Thanks for the heads up Napalm381.

Michael

Elite member
Nov 19, 1999
I got one (Forbes subscriber).

Very, very annoying install program. I had to click and click and click to get past all the garbage about how great it was.

So far just about every ISBN and UPC I've swiped has not been in their database.

Since I tend to read Forbes one the train and on airplanes, I'm not going to use it that much. Maybe the Linux guys will crack it completely and get usefull software going for it.

Michael

Napalm381

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
It's not really for UPCs , only for their little codes...at least that's what I understood. And yeah the install program was worthless.

ASK THE COMMUNITY