anybody else tired of seeing Obama bitch slapped by other foreign leaders?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Ventanni

Golden Member
Jul 25, 2011
Yes, let's ignite the American war machine over Crimea and start WW3 because of it. Great idea!

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006
There were two times I think he looked bad. One was when he tried to bully nations over Snowden, and when pulled the line in the sand stunt with Syria. Both those are on him, but just what could he have done about Putin? Start a nuclear war? That would have been great.

There was nothing we could effectively do to stop Russia and the steps taken with the EU are as much as one could reasonably expect. War with Russia doesn't qualify as reasonable. Bullying even more? Start a war with a nation under false pretenses? I'll pass, thanks.
Agreed. The line in the sand thing was admittedly stupid. I don't think Putin made Obama look bad though. Superficially, yes, it made Obama look terrible. But practically, he got more than he dared ask for, considering that we cannot trust most of the rebels with WMDs either. I suspect world leaders, while noticing that Obama looked like an amateur compared to Putin, also noticed that Obama got as much or more as did Putin, especially given that we initially backed Assad anyway and it's far from clear as to who actually used the chemical weapons.

I don't think Putin made Obama look bad on Ukraine either, although that may still happen. I suspect Europe/NATO would have freaked had we attempted to go to war over Crimea. Getting Germany (which has reasonably close economic ties) and France (which reflexively hates everything) on board with kicking Russia out of the G8 is great, and while I don't know if that was driven by Obama or by their own perceived best interests, at least he didn't screw it up. Considering the recent NSA spying scandal, that's not insignificant. In fact, I would not be at all surprised if Russia is holding some of Snowdon's information to use as a wedge between the USA and Europe. And I would be very, very surprised if Putin would have held off punishing Ukraine and taking Crimea with a President Bush/McCain/Romney. This was driven by events, not personalities.

Also, these small but meaningful and escalating sanctions against Russia put the ball back into their court by showing that Russia will continue to suffer increasingly until they satisfy the West. They keep on the pressure. Doing something drastic initially just encourages them to hunker down or even take the rest of Ukraine. I don't think Crimea will ever be returned and I don't know what will make this right, and I doubt if Obama et al do either, but the collective actions taken so far seem to me to be pretty sensible.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2013
is this a serious question?

World military spending 2012

WorldMilitarySpending2013.png

http://ploughshares.ca/programs/armed-conflict/acr-graphs/

Nov 25, 2013
Fair enough, but what of their strategic interest in the region? Without Sevastopol, Russia doesn't have an ice free port in Europe.

Which won't do them any good if there was an actual shooting war with the West as the fleet would never get out to the Mediterranean. It would be a sitting duck to western forces.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I still maintain that it would have been better that the Soviet Union done what China is doing. That is, slowly transforming from Communism to Capitalism. Just letting their system completely collapse has just left them with a need for Putinesque types to hold everything together. It's not quite a Dictatorship, but it's uncomfortably close to it.

Definately. The issue was those republics didn't want to be part of the USSR anymore. Once it was clear the system was going to topple they wanted out. I suspect a lot of that has to do with being under the boot of Russia for much of the USSR's existence.

DominionSeraph

Diamond Member
Jul 22, 2009
anybody else tired of seeing Obama bitch slapped by other foreign leaders?

Stop watching Faux News. Problem solved.
If Obama was building up forces in Western Europe, they'd be going on about how this "community organizer" doesn't know that Russia has thousands of nukes, front-line fighters, modern main battle tanks, and a huge standing army.

Face it, you don't know what you're for until conservative talk tells you what you're against.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I've been a bit miffed off over how a President has been treated a long time now, ever since he walked into congress and was called a Liar by some asshole shortly after election.

I don't care who the President is, that was pathetic and continues to be so, shit like that is just bad form, and lowers everyone in the worlds perception of the US in general.

Still makes me want to puke on the guy.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
I do not and never liked George W, I've met Jeb and thought he would have made a much better President at the time.

I'd still never do that, some idiots out there are way off base.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
russia, china, syria, iran, libya, egypt have pretty much made obama their little bitch. His weak ass foreign if you can even call it that has been an embarrassment. Obama is so weak with dealing with foreign leaders he looks like a little girl. Putin has owned his ass and out smarted him than once and when the press questioned Obama on it a couple of days ago while in Holland obama was had some nonsense reply that made Zero sense.

Thanks Obama, i cant not wait for you to back to civilian life, the world scale is clearly too much for you.

http://www.usnews.com/opinion/blogs...ine-crisis-exposes-obamas-weak-foreign-policy

WWGWBD? What would GW Bush do different?

What would McCain or Romney do different?

What do you think Obama should or should have done?

Should we already be in the midst of WWIII?

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Well , Dubya did say once he looked in Putins eyes and made some dumbass remark about his soul or some dumbass crap if I remember right.

Go figure.

None of the above would have done anything different.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
It is part of the blame Obama for everything mentality. They figure there has to be an angle that Putin invading Crimea is the fault of Obama. It fails logic in my opinion.

All Putin needed was justification. He got that because the diplomatic communications between the embassy in Ukraine and Washington were compromised. Putin knew exactly what the U.S. was doing behind the scenes to oust the elected leader in Ukraine.

The Russian puppet leader had to leave Ukraine so now Putin claims he is only protecting Russian interests.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Reading deficiency?

Nope! I know quite a lot about the Russo-Georgian war actually as I spent a bit working with the Georgian opposition party. Naturally, that issue is a pretty powerful one there still considering that Russia currently illegally occupies a significant portion of that country as well.

I would agree that the Russian attack on Ukraine is even less justified than the attack on Georgia, if that's what you mean.

sm625

Diamond Member
May 6, 2011
Obama is doing his job. He is the adult diaper of the elite. In a couple more years, he will be replaced with someone else who will follow the exact same script. Meanwhile, the banksters loot a trillion a year under Obama and will loot the same amount (inflation adjusted, of course) 4 years from now.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
The latest foreign trip was a political disaster.

Obama calls the pope a liar

Saudi Arabia schools Obama on Iran

Obama is asleep during news conferences and when he does wake up rambles about nonsense.

IGBT

Lifer
Jul 16, 2001
by now you guys should be able to figure it out for your selves. The obama is not the wizard of smart. Not even by a long shot. He's a media creation designed to appeal to low information voters and pig ignorant liberals. Elections have consequences.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
The latest foreign trip was a political disaster.

Obama calls the pope a liar

Saudi Arabia schools Obama on Iran

Obama is asleep during news conferences and when he does wake up rambles about nonsense.

For someone who got intellectually filleted early on in this thread I find it impressive you have the balls to come back and post in it. Shows an impressive amount of self-delusion.