anybody else tired of seeing Obama bitch slapped by other foreign leaders?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
meh. i think the only ones that made Obama look bad is Putin. he hasen't done much else with other countries. well besides ok the spying on them.

thraashman

Lifer
Apr 10, 2000
The problem is that no matter what Obama does in any situation, the crazies on the right will attack him. Even if it's exactly what they said we should do.

It's why you simply have to look at those who complain about Obama. If they tend to fall politically on the right, there's a 98% chance their complaint is invalid. Not to say there's not any valid complaints about this President, but the people who will have them will almost guaranteed not be from the right.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
meh. i think the only ones that made Obama look bad is Putin. he hasen't done much else with other countries. well besides ok the spying on them.

There were two times I think he looked bad. One was when he tried to bully nations over Snowden, and when pulled the line in the sand stunt with Syria. Both those are on him, but just what could he have done about Putin? Start a nuclear war? That would have been great.

There was nothing we could effectively do to stop Russia and the steps taken with the EU are as much as one could reasonably expect. War with Russia doesn't qualify as reasonable. Bullying even more? Start a war with a nation under false pretenses? I'll pass, thanks.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
There were two times I think he looked bad. One was when he tried to bully nations over Snowden, and when pulled the line in the sand stunt with Syria. Both those are on him, but just what could he have done about Putin? Start a nuclear war? That would have been great.

There was nothing we could effectively do to stop Russia and the steps taken with the EU are as much as one could reasonably expect. War with Russia doesn't qualify as reasonable. Bullying even more? Start a war with a nation under false pretenses? I'll pass, thanks.

oh yeah i forgot about the bullshit with snowden.

With Syria putin came in and made him look like a fool. Really nothing he can do about it though. same with Russia taking crimea.

short of WWIII he has limited moves.

but Bitchslapped by world leaders? no just putin.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
I'm still at a loss to understand how Russia's actions in the Crimea represent a threat to US national security. Anyone care to explain it?

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
I'm still at a loss to understand how Russia's actions in the Crimea represent a threat to US national security. Anyone care to explain it?

Taken in isolation this doesn't represent a threat to us, however Putin isn't above extending Russia's sphere of influence by cobbling together a semblance of the old USSR. There are other nations which he might set his sights on and the spectre of another Soviet Union rising is bound to cause instability throughout the world in economic, military and political terms. On one hand no one wants a war with Russia, and on the other Europe and others aren't about to go back to the days before the Berlin wall fell. Conflict, nuclear perhaps, is a distinct possibility depending on how this goes.

The idea is to force the bear back into its cage before it mauls, but that is always a dangerous proposition.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Taken in isolation this doesn't represent a threat to us, however Putin isn't above extending Russia's sphere of influence by cobbling together a semblance of the old USSR. There are other nations which he might set his sights on and the spectre of another Soviet Union rising is bound to cause instability throughout the world in economic, military and political terms. On one hand no one wants a war with Russia, and on the other Europe and others aren't about to go back to the days before the Berlin wall fell. Conflict, nuclear perhaps, is a distinct possibility depending on how this goes.

The idea is to force the bear back into its cage before it mauls, but that is always a dangerous proposition.

Ok, I get this. I certainly don't trust Putin. But at the same time, I think people are overlooking the strategic importance of the Crimea to Russia's own defense. The Black Sea Fleet at Sevastopol is basically their Norfolk, which they've been forced to lease from the Ukraine since the fall of the Soviet Union. Given the political instability in the Ukraine, and the fact that the majority of Crimean citizens are Russian, I can't say that Putins move was entirely one of aggression.

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
russia, china, syria, iran, libya, egypt have pretty much made obama their little bitch. His weak ass foreign if you can even call it that has been an embarrassment. Obama is so weak with dealing with foreign leaders he looks like a little girl. Putin has owned his ass and out smarted him than once ....

What exactly would you have done differently with Russia, china, Syria, Iran, Libya, Egypt?

Invade them all?

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Ok, I get this. I certainly don't trust Putin. But at the same time, I think people are overlooking the strategic importance of the Crimea to Russia's own defense. The Black Sea Fleet at Sevastopol is basically their Norfolk, which they've been forced to lease from the Ukraine since the fall of the Soviet Union. Given the political instability in the Ukraine, and the fact that the majority of Crimean citizens are Russian, I can't say that Putins move was entirely one of aggression.

As has been mentioned in previous threads, etc. I don't think you can use the fact that the majority of Crimean citizens are ethnic Russians as a reason to invade, considering the fact that the majority of Crimean citizens are ethnic Russians due to Russian crimes against humanity.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

Snowden is certainly a low point. It especially helped Putin. I think the problem here is that Putin has been the better of both Bush and Obama, as far as exerting Power without International resistance. However, at least with Obama there are consequences for Putin, Bush was too distracted to really care what Putin was doing.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Putin is and has been desperate. He's losing his grip, his country is desperate. All of this is an act to try to get some international attention, and maybe try to still be the big kid on the block. It's getting only negative attention, and it's showing how weak Russia is. Putin's not got a lot of time left.

The rest of the world is handling like this surprisingly adult-like and well. Only a small number of dunces are leading the suicidal nuclear holocaust brigade, most are keeping level heads.

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Putin is and has been desperate. He's losing his grip, his country is desperate. All of this is an act to try to get some international attention, and maybe try to still be the big kid on the block. It's getting only negative attention, and it's showing how weak Russia is. Putin's not got a lot of time left.

The rest of the world is handling like this surprisingly adult-like and well. Only a small number of dunces are leading the suicidal nuclear holocaust brigade, most are keeping level heads.

I still maintain that it would have been better that the Soviet Union done what China is doing. That is, slowly transforming from Communism to Capitalism. Just letting their system completely collapse has just left them with a need for Putinesque types to hold everything together. It's not quite a Dictatorship, but it's uncomfortably close to it.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
As has been mentioned in previous threads, etc. I don't think you can use the fact that the majority of Crimean citizens are ethnic Russians as a reason to invade, considering the fact that the majority of Crimean citizens are ethnic Russians due to Russian crimes against humanity.

Fair enough, but what of their strategic interest in the region? Without Sevastopol, Russia doesn't have an ice free port in Europe.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006

I have some friends who are ethnic Russians, but live in the US. This doesn't indicate that they want Russia to annex part of the US, the opposite actually. They live outside of Russia because they don't want to live in Russia.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Fair enough, but what of their strategic interest in the region? Without Sevastopol, Russia doesn't have an ice free port in Europe.

I have no doubt that Russia has a strategic interest in Crimea, but to say that their strategic interests were threatened there is an incredible stretch... at best. There was literally zero indication that Ukraine was considering a change in status of Russian bases in Crimea.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Why are you "tired"? Why is the President of your country being supposedly insulted such a big deal for you?

This is similar to a sports analogy but I won't go there.

marincounty

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2005
I think what the OP is trying to say is he longs for the days when America was feared, when an attack on America resulted in America attacking a country, Iraq, that had nothing to do with it. If Obama led the attack on New Zealand, then he would be happy?
I love the notion that Obama is weak on foreign policy.
When GWB became president, the only country he had ever been to was Mexico, probably on a drunken bender. I had more foreign policy experience than GWB.
Your criticism of Obama is laughable after the disaster that was GWB.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I still maintain that it would have been better that the Soviet Union done what China is doing. That is, slowly transforming from Communism to Capitalism. Just letting their system completely collapse has just left them with a need for Putinesque types to hold everything together. It's not quite a Dictatorship, but it's uncomfortably close to it.

I think it would have been better as far as for the well being of the people of all the ex soviet states, yes. I would say you are right.