Anybody else surprised how quickly Left 4 Dead Co-Op gets old?

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
The first few times I played Left 4 Dead in co-op, I thought it was just insanely fun. Now, maybe a week later, I find it just dull and boring. Killing thousands of zombies becomes the equivalent of gold harvesting in a MMORPG.

The in-game Director helps a little by randomizing some of the items, but the game is really just the same each time. Some other scenarios and different maps would help, but I'm just not feeling it.

Oh, and don't get me started with morons who race ahead killing infected and leave you behind to get zapped by Hunters and Smokers.

The game just gets old fast. Can't wait for my copy of Far Cry 2 to arrive.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Yep I said this like 2 months ago. I harely ever play it. We just need to wait for the user created content to come out. No way is it worth more thatn $30.

teb468

Jul 18, 2005
Don't worry, as soon as you get into Far Cry 2, you'll wonder why you bought it

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002
Originally posted by: teb468

Yup. If you thought L4D got old fast, you're in for a world of joy when you start playing FC2.

TripleAAA

Golden Member
Jul 7, 2002
Originally posted by: teb468

Wait, are you saying Far Cry 2 is awesome and so much better than L4D? or the other way around?

I like L4D alot and play almost every day, but I agree though, it does need much more content if I'm going to continue playing it much longer.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
I still like it, but it is badly in need of more maps and I'd say more game modes. (not to mention a fix for the performance kill they induced with the last patch) If valve would just get their ass in gear on the SDK, both of those problems would be solved in short order.

Frodolives

Platinum Member
Nov 28, 2001
I still very much enjoy L4D, but I do want more content. The addition of the other two campaigns into Versus was promised, and that'll help, but I also keep hearing about other campaigns. They would add a lot of value!

But frankly, if I was to stop playing right now, I'd still have received a better fun per $ value from L4D than from most other games I've bought in the last couple of years. Cooperative games are way too scarce, and this is just another instance of the demand for them, even when they have shortcomings.

My biggest personal wish is for an improved lobby system. A good Versus match is gonna take up to maybe a couple of hours of your life, so it would be good to have a couple more choices/options going into it.

Also, it would be fine with me if there was a minimum time, even if one minute, before launching, after you get a full lobby. I don't see the point in getting immediately zapped through the whole loading process before getting a chance to find out that your teammates don't use voice chat...or speak english...or wish to move as a squad, and so on. Randomization is a good aspect of public servers, but there is a limit.

I could go on about the lobbies, just as many of you could, I suspect, but I'll save that for another time and place. Suffice to say that if we had better systems in 12 year old games, we should have some better options now.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
I got bored after several playthroughs of the demo. Saved me some $ or an x-mas gift.

coldmeat

Diamond Member
Jul 10, 2007
I've played it for about 45 hours, but haven't played in a while. It has gotten boring. I find that if I do play, I just join a game in progress, and then quit when I get bored.

TheUnk

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2005
Yeah it gets boring super fast. I played it like 3 times and feel like there is nothing more to it, which there really isn't.

Wish I never spent money on it to be honest..

Oakenfold

Diamond Member
Feb 8, 2001
Some of you might be interested in this single player mod FP link

For those interested in Dead Air and Death Toll on VS, those maps are available. Just not officially at this time, if I have time later I'll look for a link, however all parties must have the maps and an understanding of how to load them (i.e. person starting the server anyhow).

If you don't have a tight group of friend this game is not that great, pubbing is okay but it really shines when you do play with people that know wth they are doing. Also to anyone that thinks rushing is a bad idea, it's not. It's just a play style. Adapt or find another group that you fit better in.

However a note to the rushers, you make great targets when playing with people slower than you, keep it up. ;)

duragezic

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
I can see it getting stale but not that quick. I bought it at the end of last year and have been putting in some major time. Over 20 hrs per week since I got it (which is a lot more than any game I've bought in years probably), and I haven't even touched Versus. As someone else said, the value of this game for me is huge, and I only paid $37 for it. I'm kind of concerned about Versus due to exploiting and such I read about.

But you're right, I think there could be a lot more. Only two campaigns in Versus?? It must be more than trivial to convert maps to Versus. Also the AI Director is cool but I'm not sure it is random as I'd like. You tend to find weapons and supplies in much of the same places each time.

I think it'd be even better if it could somewhat randomize levels. Not significantly, maybe along the lines of Diablo 2 but less (still want to keep the same atmosphere and overall flow).

So of more feasible things, I'd like to see small improvements to the Director, more Versus maps and possible new mode(s), more campaigns for co-op, maybe a new weapon or two. And of course outside of new content I always like to see games supported with patches for balance, fix exploits, etc.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Yeah, enjoy FC2 instead... that one will ceeeeeertainly keep you entertained more than L4D can, yeah.

Woofmeister

Golden Member
Jul 18, 2004
OK, so maybe I won't enjoy FC2 as much as I hoped (though I played through the original FC in single player mode at least three times). I also have Stalker: Clear Sky on the way as well, so I should be entertained for a while.

BladeVenom

Lifer
Jun 2, 2005
Originally posted by: Woofmeister
OK, so maybe I won't enjoy FC2 as much as I hoped (though I played through the original FC in single player mode at least three times).

Far Cry and Far Cry 2 have little in common other than the name. They weren't even made by the same developers. Crysis was made by the people who made the first Far Cry.

RallyMaster

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2004
FarCry 2 made me want to cut myself after about 30 minutes into it. The same thing happens over and over again and the same enemies respawn over and over again. It's...really lame.

L4D might hold my interest for an hour but after that, it's back to Battlefield 2 where I get to command a squad, try different approaches every time and engage enemies differently every time. I say you should really play Battlefield 2 if you want squad/group combat.

Aug 9, 2007
I played this until I beat every campaign on Expert (impossible) difficulty. That's quite a challenge if you are only two + two bots.
I could still play it though. Expert really challenges you, even if you are a veteran FPS player.
Now we wait for new content.

n7

Elite Member
Jan 4, 2004
Nope, sorry.
I knew it was a pretty simple game before i bought it.

I've had so much fun playing with IRL friends & forum/group friends the last couple months.
The last time i had this much fun in a game night after night was way back in my days in UT2k4 clans.

Sure, they need more content, more customizeability, more of a lot of things for L4D IMO.

But in spite of all of its limitations, it's still a ton of fun.

The very core of L4D is teamwork.
The key for the fun-factor is playing with good people you know who communicate, even if it's just thru a Steam group or great guys (& gal) from AT's group.
The laughs, humor, panic, strategy...it's all a lot of fun when shared with others :D

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
You guys obviously don't have enough friends to make L4D fun, because I've been addicted since the demo.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I got bored with this game after about 100 hours of play time. :( Versus is about the only thing that will ever keep you going.

I don't play it anymore. I shelved it like TF2. (Played TF2 a lot and then was like, "Boring...")

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
Originally posted by: videogames101
You guys obviously don't have enough friends to make L4D fun, because I've been addicted since the demo.

Yea sorry me and my real life friends like to go to bars and pick up on women, not play L4D all day and night.

Saga

Banned
Feb 18, 2005
L4D bought by girlfriend for Christmas.

Played it once with a few friends online and haven't touched it since. Sadly, this is what I've sort of come to expect from modern non-RPG games.

Infohawk

Lifer
Jan 12, 2002
Originally posted by: TridenTBoy3555
I got bored with this game after about 100 hours of play time. :( Versus is about the only thing that will ever keep you going.

I don't play it anymore. I shelved it like TF2. (Played TF2 a lot and then was like, "Boring...")

People need realistic attitudes about the games they buy. I don't know how much L4D is but TF2 is pretty entertaining for $30. Think about how a movie lasts two hours and costs ten bucks yet people still go to see them. A bad game is one that doesn't keep my interest for more than 10 hours. A good one does.