Anybody else sick of Hollywood honoring Hollywood???

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
So in one fell swoop of commerials, I saw this thing that's supposed to honor Steve Martin, Scorsezi & somebody else. Followed immediately by another commercial for the People's Choice Awards.

OK..............here's what we all know...........

Golden Globes --------- Typically the opener to either start a sweep (when they get the Oscar too, they can just gloat over the accolades) ***OR*** to give the award to somebody to make them feel better 'cuz they just weren't good enough to get an Oscar (a la Bill Murray in "Lost in Translation").

Oscars --------- The big one. Heck, I don't even care about this one anymore, but I'm sure this is something the world can't live without.

If I had to throw in a 3rd, maybe People's Choice would be a good one, so there isn't a panel of 'insiders' deciding who gets these things, but I'm just SICK of 'em anymore.

/rant

Sluggo

Lifer
Jun 12, 2000
I would assume that the fact that you are even thinking about awards shows means they are effective.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Sluggo
I would assume that the fact that you are even thinking about awards shows means they are effective.

Well, the commercials are certainly good at making me ill. Does that count? ;)

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
How do you feel about the Grammy's? I think their great....who ever sells the most albums...WINS! (yes, i know that's simplistic and generalizing, but really...come on.)

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: sonambulo
So throw your fucking TV out the window and read a book. Problem solved.

Good idea!! Let me see if I can get the wife to help me w/ that!! :thumbsup:

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: pyonir
How do you feel about the Grammy's? I think their great....who ever sells the most albums...WINS! (yes, i know that's simplistic and generalizing, but really...come on.)

Ya, I don't wanna pigeon hole *all* awards shows. The music awards are a little out of control too since the CMA's seem to be crossing over a lot more these days as true pop/rock/country/blues lines seem to be blurring more & more.

BUT........I will give the Grammys their due. That's definitely #1 & I'm a fan of music (which requires more talent, imho, than acting).

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Oh...and i was being sarcastic...i don't think the grammys are great. I think they suck just as much as any other awards show. The most talented RARELY win.

Oct 4, 2004
Film-making is not an easy task and there's nothing wrong with the industry honoring excellence. Sometimes, the results don't make sense but hey, you can't keep everyone happy. I think Awards are a reason why the industry actually puts out decent movies every once in a while, as opposed to Yet Another Crappy But Commercially Viable Saw-sequel or $150,000,000-budget aliens/superhero/disaster/other-high-concept movie.

I typically agree with the Academy's choices but the Grammys seem like the RIAA congratulating whoever sold the most units and brought in the most revenue. I don't belong to the 'if it's popular, it sucks' school of thought but I do find it odd that I recognize almost everyone that wins a Grammy. Considering the fact that I'm not a diehard music buff and rely mostly on TV and Youtube to familiarize myself with what's new in music, I see that as a bad thing. :p

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
perhaps theres nothing wrong.
but it is a frivolous industry that is basically giving itself publicity by congratulating itself.

pyonir

Lifer
Dec 18, 2001
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
And yet all of you keep watching.

Brilliant.

/thread

All of us? Where did i say i watch any of them? No where. Cause i don't.

poopaskoopa

Diamond Member
Sep 12, 2000
I guess it's a personal taste thing, but.... Steve Martin hasn't done anything that'd put him in the same ceremony with Scorsese.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001
Its the mostly morons in CA that give a sh1t about them. The majority of the rest of the country doesn't give a sh1t.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo
perhaps theres nothing wrong.
but it is a frivolous industry that is basically giving itself publicity by congratulating itself.

QFT

But then awards are always self-justifying and self-aggrandizing. Just look at the military.

redgtxdi

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: KK
Its the mostly morons in CA that give a sh1t about them. The majority of the rest of the country doesn't give a sh1t.

Actually quite the contrary.

Viewership is heavily weighted on the east coast due to it being a live feed. West coast viewership tanks as the winners are already known by airtime.

Want a real shocker?? In 2006, it was Canada's (yes, freakin' Canada) most watched program of the year!! WTF?? :confused:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003
There are always the other 999 channels of shit to chose from. Or you could just go outside and play with your little friends...:confused:

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

Yeah...I'm sure there are no morons in Georgia. :roll: I'd be willing to bet money that Hollywood awards shows do quite well in Georgia.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

Yeah...I'm sure there are no morons in Georgia. :roll: I'd be willing to bet money that Hollywood awards shows do quite well in Georgia.

I'd be willing to bet that you're right. Probably not as good as tractor pulls and lynch mobs but at least a close third.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Or you could just go outside and play with your little friends...:confused:

Please refrain from encouraging public masturbation.

KK

Lifer
Jan 2, 2001

hey, I don't disagree with that, there are plenty of morons here. And I'm sure the CMAs do much better than any other award show here in GA. I have never watched an awards show, I have no desire to watch one.