Anybody Else Mixes Vodka With Soda?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I mostly like Highland scotch, which is closer to bourbon flavor-wise. Looks like Lagavulin is an Islay, so it probably tastes like smokey Band-Aids, I'd pass on that personally. More power to you if you like it though.
And the peat, ahhhh the peat.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I'm not crazy about Scotch myself but I can understand why people enjoy it.... really the only hard liquor I have a weakness for is tequila.
I like tequila, but it's not my go to drink.

I mostly like Highland scotch, which is closer to bourbon flavor-wise. Looks like Lagavulin is an Islay, so it probably tastes like smokey Band-Aids, I'd pass on that personally. More power to you if you like it though.
I never had Lagavulin, as it's pricey. I'm not a drinker of scotch, but I never really gave it a shot. Perhaps I will try a Highland scotch instead of Lagavulin.

Reactions: Captante

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
You should go to a higher end bar to try some different scotches. You'd get to try different kinds, with the (hopefully)knowledgeable guidance of the bartender. My recommendations are CompassBox Artist blend, and the Glasgow blend. They're high malt blends, priced at JW Black level, but more distinctive. Probably the best value going these days. $70 would get you both bottles. The former is sweet, with light smoke. The latter is bolder, and closer to an Islay in style.

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
You should go to a higher end bar to try some different scotches. You'd get to try different kinds, with the (hopefully)knowledgeable guidance of the bartender. My recommendations are CompassBox Artist blend, and the Glasgow blend. They're high malt blends, priced at JW Black level, but more distinctive. Probably the best value going these days. $70 would get you both bottles. The former is sweet, with light smoke. The latter is bolder, and closer to an Islay in style.

Thanks for the recommendations! Sadly my bar days are behind me. The wife would never go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Haha
Reactions: Captante

uclaLabrat

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2007
Yes, this can be done for sure. I have had vodka and mountain dew. Pretty good.
Its better with rum or tequila. Try both.

I have to get a bottle of Lagavulin, and try it with Mt Dew now. :p
Smokey flavor and mt dew does not sound like a good time but you do you.

Vanilla vodka and orange soda tastes like an orange julius and its fucking amazing.

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003

Sadly it could be the finest Scotch in existence and I doubt I could do much more than tolerate it so it would be wasted on me although I'm sure I could tell the difference between varieties. High-end Bourbon I like slightly more but only slightly.

The only way I really ENJOY whiskey-flavor is in desserts and sauces where IME the liquor-quality only needs to be "acceptable". (however as with wine, if the whiskey is unfit to drink straight-up it's also unfit to cook with)

Captante

Lifer
Oct 20, 2003
Its better with rum or tequila. Try both.

Smokey flavor and mt dew does not sound like a good time but you do you.

Vanilla vodka and orange soda tastes like an orange julius and its fucking amazing.

You had to remind me lol gawd-dangnit .... my vote would go to chilled Grey Goose vodka and Stewart's Orange-Creamsicle soda over ice if I was forced to drink a soda-cocktail!

;)