Anybody else doing this?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
Wearing ear plugs 24/7 ?

I can not deal with all this extraneous noise anymore. Too much things I am trying to concentrate and get done, including writing and recording my debut album. When one of my neighbors comes home mad from their shitty job and is slamming around their apartment it really pisses me off and makes me unable to focus on anything I want to get done. WTF is wrong with these people? Yes for those that didn't know I am a recording artist.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Brag thread! Us guys who ain't ballers just never clear the wax. Same effect, lot cheaper.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
No I don't use earplugs 24/7. But if they work for you then why not keep using them?

So do you use a DAW? If so which one?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Use cookie dough from ice cream instead. Cheaper than real earplugs plus you'll finally receive some affection as animals lick your ears.

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
Wait. Extraneous noise and musician don't mix. You're obviously not a musician or artist.

1sikbITCH

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2001
Could not tolerate ear plugs. Tried it, failed. It's like my rectum, nothing is getting put in there.

Wait. As I type that I realize FUCK. I'm almost 50 and that means... prostate exam! :eek:

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
I try to wear them on a motorcycle, but my ears are designed wrong and they barely do anything. :(

Phanuel

Platinum Member
Apr 25, 2008
My ear canal is not large enough for a rolled up foam plug to actually fit into, nor does the cartilage at the front of my ear face backwards to properly retain said plug.

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
YEah if you got Randy Couture ear this probbaly wont work

Randy-Couture-Cauliflower-Ear-.jpg

DigDog

Lifer
Jun 3, 2011
musicians use earplugs quite a lot. maybe not 24/7 (you do because you are crazy), but defo way more than the average person. so .. why not.

i personally hate earplugs (both musician and audio technician), headphones, and anything else that covers my head. i like to experience the world, noise included, as i find inspiration in it.

Nov 8, 2012
I hear you can buy this thing called a "home", and you can go live in it. Without other people living in and/or within ~30ft (or more) from you, much less above or below you.

Just, you know, some logical thinking.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
musicians use earplugs quite a lot. maybe not 24/7 (you do because you are crazy), but defo way more than the average person. so .. why not.

i personally hate earplugs (both musician and audio technician), headphones, and anything else that covers my head. i like to experience the world, noise included, as i find inspiration in it.

I haven't seen any musicians wear earplugs outside of stage work (playing loud music is bad for you) and even that is fairly rare. For everyday living, unless you are living in a construction zone most noises should be that bad.

OP, if you're a recording artist, why aren't you using some kind of studio quality over the ear headphones? They should cancel enough noise (and there are active noise cancelling ones if passive isn't enough) to not "disturb" you.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
I don't like having anything in my ears, I also don't like actually blocking sound. I like to be aware of my surroundings even if I'm just at home.

For when I need to block sound for safety reasons such as using a very loud tool I prefer ear muffs. I bought a decent pair when I was working on my basement as I was using a powder actuated nailer to put the bottom plate on the concrete.

Speaking of my basement I need to stop being lazy and finish my server room's air handler and ducting so I can enclose it and sound proof it. It will probably feel weird in this house after since I'm so used to hearing the humming of the servers.

Mayne

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2014
I am seriously considering it. My upstairs neighbour has a bull mastiff that barks pretty much all day and night. Ready to lose my fucking mind.

Sho'Nuff

Diamond Member
Jul 12, 2007
Use cookie dough from ice cream instead. Cheaper than real earplugs plus you'll finally receive some affection as animals lick your ears.

Why spend the money on cookie dough when play dough will work just as well, is cheaper, and comes in cool colors?

futurefields

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2012
I hear you can buy this thing called a "home", and you can go live in it. Without other people living in and/or within ~30ft (or more) from you, much less above or below you.

Just, you know, some logical thinking.

since when do homes block out neighborhood noise?

you must have a fortress, and/or not live in an actual neighborhood