Anybody else DISAPPOINTED by i7?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cogman

Lifer
Sep 19, 2000
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Motherboard choice is not the greatest and prices ridiculously high. DDR3 memory still very high compared to DDR2. Of course it will drop. I'm waiting for SMP versions and chipsets/boards with 256GB+ Ram support.

:) Yeah, thats going to be a little bit of a wait for you.

256 GB of ram... Man, I'd like to see the applications that use that (efficiently)

heyheybooboo

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2007
Originally posted by: Rob61 ~~snip~~

Is there any specific quad core (i7 or otherwise) CPU and motherboard combos that really seem to excel for system performance under XP Pro SP2? jaredpace recommeded q9650/e8600. What new motherboard would be good for those?

For some reason, I was thinking that there was a limit of 2 cores for XP Pro (multi-processor), and that if you had 4 it only used two. But I don't really recall what I read or if it was accurate. this is what has me doubting the value of a new motheroard and CPU while still keeping XP Pro SP2. But I would probably need that for the time being to assure driver compatibility of all the software and hardware for media work.

Thanks!

2 sockets ... not cores

Combo Deal: $258AR
Q6600 & Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3P

Combo Deal: $284
Phenom 9950BE & Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H

IIRC, Video Guys took a look at media transcoding with >4 cores and found diminishing returns - the software I recall was Premiere and Vegas Pro. You might want to snoop around with a google if that interests you ...

You can't really go wrong with either combo above - DivX seems to favor Intel and MainConcept seems to favor AMD. DivX bought out MainConcept so it will be interesting to see the next-gen encoders ...

2p i7's and the new Opty's will have an enterprise-side smackdown in Q2 2009 - it's probably not 'fair' to be disappointed at this point on the desktop ...

rge

Feb 18, 2008
nehalem is not harder to overclock than penryn, just different rules with small learning curve.
My E8400 OCed to 4 with 1.36 vcore bios, 1.33 cpuz.
My Core i7 940 OC's to 4 with 4.2 turbo with 1.35 vcore bios, 1.33 idle, 1.31 load, and is prime stable 12 hours. for apps that primarily use one core, runs at 4.2ghz turbo, for those that use multiple cores, for example prime obviously, it runs at 4 ghz. Turbo is active until multiple cores are loaded. Many with 920 will get 4 ghz by 20x200, but 940's will have higher chance at 4+ as dont run into 200 bclk necessity.
post with prime stable.
http://www.xtremesystems.org/f...=3451397&postcount=386

I am using xp sp3 32bit, which I will have until windows 7 64bit comes out later this year.

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: AdamK47
Originally posted by: taltamir
the biggest baddest most interesting feature on i7 is that it can shut off individual cores for power saving... which would never ever come close to paying for the extremely high premium they are asking for it.

With overclocking being harder on the sucker, ram being more expensive, and requiring a new socket, the whole thing is very disappointing.
Intel was saying that this would be to C2D what Core was to netburst... liars.

The ability to shut off cores is the most interesting feature? You would put that above say... the integrated memory controller? How about it being a native quad core? Shared Level 3 cache? Triple channel DDR3 maybe? Heck, I'd put Hyperthreading over that. There are a ton of features I would put above the ability to shut off unused cores.

integrated memory controller means greater bandwidth, which is somewhat nice, but leads to a small speed increase mostly for servers and not for gamers.
Triple channel? a design choice shown to have no benefit to the home user. (and increases cost).
Native quad core? what does that matter? i don't CARE about that ENGINEERING choice.. i care about the performance i get (if it gives me more performance, then good! otherwise, meh).
Shared level 3 cache, useful, but so far it just serves to make the chip smaller and cheaper to make, because L3 cache was already massive before. This is an engineering cost, what matters is the performance it gives.
Hyperthreading.. now there you have a FEATURE rather then an engineering choice, the effect of hyperthreading go beyond "more/less performance". However, while that is nice for the FUTURE, future proofing is stupud. And most games only use 2 threads/cores, hyperthreading is not gonna help for the majority of things today, it WILL make the chip faster in 2010. but by that time it will be much cheaper to buy.

Before you say shutting down unused cores is also an engineering choice... it is actually a feature like hyperthreading... it allows for single / dual core OC, and more importantly, for decrease of power. I guess I should have said "power savings due to shutting down".

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Originally posted by: Rubycon
Motherboard choice is not the greatest and prices ridiculously high. DDR3 memory still very high compared to DDR2. Of course it will drop. I'm waiting for SMP versions and chipsets/boards with 256GB+ Ram support.

All these things are so very true. How long has !366 socket been around. The fact its new is the reason for higher pricies. Of X58 chipsets.

DDR3 if AMD would stay up with intel on these things and be the market leader they claim to be this wouldn't be an arguement. But Intel always taken the high road pushing new tech . Its guttsy of intel . We all know what happened with Rambus intel and the cheating memory cartel. Proping up rambus pricies above DDr.

Your right tho A decent IC7 setup is going to cost . Around $800 with Ic7920.

First Pc I ever bought. Was for my daughters college. I paid over $3000 for that setup in 1998. 10 years later I can get a 10x faster system for $800. That doesn't bother me one bit. But I am still cring about the $3000+ rip off. When I went to upgrade it . Than I got pissed. Started building my own . Haven't ever looked back since. When that company that no longer exist went I under I was so happy . I can't begin to tell ya.

Right now this price thing pisses me off. I won't be around for it . But when AMD has to go to a new socket. I want some of you guys to remember these times. Say OH but those new mother boards are so expensive. Forget its brandnew . Just act like AMD is over charging rather than looking at supply side of things. Same goes for DDr3 . If AMD wouls switch with intel . DDR2 would vanish fast and DDr3 would be alot cheaper all ready. Even tho I have never paid less than $400 dollars for DDr1 or DDr2 performance memory # 1024.

I usually buy 20 sets at a time so I missed out on the cheap stuff. But I also had 20 x800xtpe months befor others could get them . That had to be crazy for the AMD boys seeing an Intel at the top of performance benchmarks. Them completely helpless to stop me. I got mine in april LOL. I believe april of 2004.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
Well, all I can say, is that if the new deneb is competitive, and works in the now mature and cheap AM2+ motherboards, that will be my next setup. I just passed over IC7 for a bunch of new parts, a quad, 2 vid cards, and a 24 inch LCD.

My other choice was just the IC7. Tough call ?

NOT....

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Well mark thats all well and good. I would like to point something out to you guys. Say what you will it makes all the differance in the world. Once you factor in 40 x86 cpus on one mother/board and gpu. 136 threads on intel setup. with vector magic.

http://www.pcgameshardware.com...11_-_first_benchmarks/

Than look here. If you don't think this is going to make 8 threaded IC7 standout your in for a surprize. Read what it does when used with NV 8400 First link. . You guys sure say alot of things that just come back to bite hard.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-u...85359.aspx#Performance

Its mind warping is it not?

Just so ya know. MS might take credit for Warp . But it was intel that gave it to them. MS probably added more but this baby is intels. Intel didn't ask MS to do this . They told them to do this. Old old story . AMD also came onside. Now that fusion AMD product is looking really good is it not. Intels fusion certainly isn't going to be hurt by this. Than factor in larrabee and its looking sweet. Latter add Sandy bridge AVX and the story is complete.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
And by looking at the graph it looks like you would need about 40 CPUs in order to get any sort of performance out of it.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Ya better read the article again . Comprehension sucks does it not. Clearly says . Warp will increase performance of discret graghics by 4x 5x . Now are you laughing?

Read all available info on warp befor ya make bold statements. I only restate what has been stated. SSe4.1 offers a huge boost 8 threads adds even more. Ya seen what K10 could do 1/2 of what IC7 can do . So you guys go ahead play your games cause people to pay for a dead end system. By the way Fugger got IC7 up to 5ghz on AIR. Already. ITs done deal . He is promising an HD video so all can see.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Nemesis 1
Ya better read the article again . Comprehension sucks does it not. Clearly says . Warp will increase performance of discret graghics by 4x 5x . Now are you laughing?

Read all available info on warp befor ya make bold statements. I only restate what has been stated. SSe4.1 offers a huge boost 8 threads adds even more. Ya seen what K10 could do 1/2 of what IC7 can do . So you guys go ahead play your games cause people to pay for a dead end system. By the way Fugger got IC7 up to 5ghz on AIR. Already. ITs done deal . He is promising an HD video so all can see.

4x or 5x... Hmmm. It would be nice.

jones377

May 2, 2004

Here is the relevant part of that article:

Microsoft even offers Crysis benchmarks in 800 x 600 in Direct3D 10 mode with minimal game details. The results reveal that the CPU plus WARP10 can compete with Intel integrated graphics. Of course the fps rates are unplayable nevertheless, but the results can be seen as improvement. Microsoft also doesn't see WARP10 as a replacement for the graphics card.

It's a software renderer running on the CPU instead of the GPU, as such it can never be as fast as real GPUs. I mean, the i7@3GHz is getting spanked by an old Radeon 2400Pro by 4x with minimal settings. It's interesting nontheless, just don't listen to Nemesis...

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
You don't have to listen to Me. Find out what Larrabee is made to do . Software rendering . You should really read more about this. Alot of people are now on the software render bandwagon I am not talking about forum geeks. I mean the men in the know are starting to speak way differantly about software renders. Also keep in mind that X58 has that QPI link to the CPU . I suppose you know how thats going to work out already.IF not read up on this company Neoptica. Than you can listen to others talk the talk. Yes Intel had to add a hardware render path for other games that are out today While your at it find out how intels compiler fits into all this . Its great stuff thats for fact. Now lets see it working.

Talk about Neoptica Havok project offset. Than you might see a little sun shine.

All 3 are about software render software pyhsics and One hell of a game that will play on Intel platforms only. Must be software render game. Maybe even RTRT.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
You don't have to listen to Me. Find out what Larrabee is made to do . Software rendering . You should really read more about this. Alot of people are now on the software render bandwagon I am not talking about forum geeks. I mean the men in the know are starting to speak way differantly about software renders. Also keep in mind that X58 has that QPI link to the CPU . I suppose you know how thats going to work out already.IF not read up on this company Neoptica. Than you can listen to others talk the talk. Yes Intel had to add a hardware render path for other games that are out today While your at it find out how intels compiler fits into all this . Its great stuff thats for fact. Now lets see it working.

Talk about Neoptica Havok project offset. Than you might see a little sun shine.

All 3 are about software render software pyhsics and One hell of a game that will play on Intel platforms only. Must be software render game. Maybe even RTRT.

Clearly your an expert. Your whole argument for warp seems like a very trivial thing at this point. What kind of benifit would I have with a GeForce 280 GTX SLI setup with warp. From what I've read... none. You said 4x to 5x performance with discrete graphics. Explain.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
It's a software renderer running on the CPU instead of the GPU, as such it can never be as fast as real GPUs. I mean, the i7@3GHz is getting spanked by an old Radeon 2400Pro by 4x with minimal settings. It's interesting nontheless, just don't listen to Nemesis...

It's not like he's making a wrong point. It's a softwarer renderer, running on a general purpose CPU made for general purpose calculations. Having a proper software alone will make it run couple of times faster, then take that on a CPU that's optimized for it, like Larrabbee but with many more cores.

Besides, if it made top GPU setups even 10% faster by running that on i7, then people will try to get it.

jones377

May 2, 2004
Originally posted by: IntelUser2000

It's not like he's making a wrong point. It's a softwarer renderer, running on a general purpose CPU made for general purpose calculations. Having a proper software alone will make it run couple of times faster, then take that on a CPU that's optimized for it, like Larrabbee but with many more cores.

Besides, if it made top GPU setups even 10% faster by running that on i7, then people will try to get it.

Recommended reading

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
OP should do some additional research on the P5W DH board with 975x chipset.

It is definitely Conroe-Kentsfield compatible on the ASUS web-page specs. If you think about the prices and expected performance, you could look for Q6600 or better in the G0 stepping. That's really not a far sling from C2D E6600, but it's a quad core.

It doesn't specify if the board works with 45nm Penryn Wolfdale/Yorkfield. You'd think it would. Check the BIOS update "fix" notes, and see if you can't find some archival forum posts.

If there were a BIOS upgrade that allowed for Penryn cores, then -- hey! -- that would make holding off on I7 worthwhile, for my money-- anyway.

TidusZ

Golden Member
Nov 13, 2007
Originally posted by: BonzaiDuck
OP should do some additional research on the P5W DH board with 975x chipset.

It is definitely Conroe-Kentsfield compatible on the ASUS web-page specs. If you think about the prices and expected performance, you could look for Q6600 or better in the G0 stepping. That's really not a far sling from C2D E6600, but it's a quad core.

It doesn't specify if the board works with 45nm Penryn Wolfdale/Yorkfield. You'd think it would. Check the BIOS update "fix" notes, and see if you can't find some archival forum posts.

If there were a BIOS upgrade that allowed for Penryn cores, then -- hey! -- that would make holding off on I7 worthwhile, for my money-- anyway.

Huh?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001

From the other thread: http://www.theinquirer.net/gb/...ft-graphics-cpu-warped

Doesn't seem like it increases graphics performance by much. It's a fraction of a FPS faster than Intel's IGP, and both give like 5 FPS at 800x600 in Crysis. Not very playable regardless.

A novelty, nothing more. Won't take off.

(Who buys a computer that is so imbalanced, that it comes with a MONSTER CPU, but with only a POS underperforming IGP? No-one that I know of.)

nyker96

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
I think the problem with i7 isn't 15-20% video relatedboost is too little but rather the system migration cost. Does not make sense to sell everything so I can get into DDR3s//X58 etc. too high a cost. maybe if they got a nice 8core on the platform that's the next big thing then I'll migrate but even that is years off. Doubt games/software will use 4 cores until like 2010.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006

Clearly your an expert. Your whole argument for warp seems like a very trivial thing at this point. What kind of benifit would I have with a GeForce 280 GTX SLI setup with warp. From what I've read... none. You said 4x to 5x performance with discrete graphics. Explain.

Well remember when I said reading comperhension can get ya.

Heres what it said lol.
Low end discrete graphics hardware is typically 4-5x faster than WARP10 at running these benchmarks and obviously, these GPU?s have minimal use of CPU resources as well

If ya read the Microsoft article. Than you recall that X58 has that Qpi link to theGPU. Than read about this company and what that link to the GPU is for Neoptica Than reread the ms warp article again That link is mentioned again. . You read that and connect the dots . Its very clear what this means to intel.

How is this benefit ya today? I guess is the correct ans.. Its really not goung to .

But if you read the ms article and read up on why that highspeed link to the gpu is required Than see why the same link is needed with Neoptica . read up on this.

So the only real bennies ya can get out of this today is this. It tells ya which Intel system to buy today. That will be usefull tomorrow. Nehalem is more future proof as the way its looking right now. If the QPI link isn't on your system . Not real sure Larrabbe will work on anything other than IC7 X58. In full performance mode. Real sure just from reading. If I read correctly. THAT Project Offset game will run only on the X58 chipset AT full power. Sorry about misreadying that . It would have been sweet tho 4x 5x . I should have known that was unrealalistic.

But it does Push towards X58 as the system to buy. because all the requirements are inplace with X58 . Mainly being that QPI link to the gpu.

I have to get some sleep been up 2 days now. I just don't care to sleep much anymore.

Than there is that ATI side port. Looks like Intel /ATI might be playing nice together.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Heres what it said lol.
Low end discrete graphics hardware is typically 4-5x faster than WARP10 at running these benchmarks and obviously, these GPU?s have minimal use of CPU resources as well
You actually said (and I'll quote what you wrote above)...
The article actually says (as you attempted to shoehorn into your argument after realizing the error)...
Low end discrete graphics hardware is typically 4-5x faster than WARP10 at running these benchmarks and obviously, these GPU?s have minimal use of CPU resources as well. Mid-range or high-end graphics cards are significantly faster than WARP10 for many applications particularly when an application can take advantage of the massive parallelism and memory bandwidth these graphics cards provide.
Here is another quote...
Well remember when I said reading comperhension can get ya.

Try dancing around that.

Nemesis 1

Lifer
Dec 30, 2006
Adam I write poorly . But that last post. I made. Heres what I said. I said I MISREAD THAT PART. It doesn't happen often but it does. More so now than ever .

I don't dance Adam . I made a mistake . Than because of my poor grammer . I was unable to get that across to yourself.

I have never been a dancer. I screw up its no big deal. I old its far from the first . But getting close to the last time it will happen.

Point is adam . WARP is for ATI side port. X58 and larrabee. Thats what I get from the links . Than add in the info you read or didn't read on Neoptica. Its paints a pretty goodpcture.

I am struggling here. I rarely ask anything from anybody. But there comes a time for all of us . When things change and one must admitt to it.

I can't take the info in those threads and compile it so as to make it easy to comprehend.

Dmens you seem to be a good person .If you would please help me . Take an hour out of your life. Compile the info on warp and Neoptica as it relates to the gpu QPI link . If you want you could also read a bit about project offset. As it also ties into this .As does Havok. Thanks in advance either way .

My wife is in the pc room with me playing crysis on our new test system . IC7 965 2x ati 4870s . Its the best numbers I have ever seen in this game. Now I feel I have to buy 2 NV cards. See how they do on this setup. Its exciting. The game itself sucks but with everything maxed its beautiful. THe Bad = The heat were putting out is extreme. Were on air till friday . I could have her set up water now . But I should wait till I get 2 NV cards in here and waterblocks for them . Dar is getting ancy. About the NV thing . But I was quick to point out to her. We need to work on water blocks for nv regaurdless. She agrees. Yes we do use other peoples ideas. But their ideas aren't theirs to start with. There is nothing new in heatsink design that isn't older than I am.

I would like to mention something We have done. I friend was building I new home and wanted a entertainment pc. Full gaming included. He wants water cooling . I asked if he was using radiant heating in new home . He said yes. Than I said were is entertainment room . He said basement. I asked if I could lay copper tubing down before they installed radiant heat tubing and its insolation. SO we did. After I got PC built We hooked her up to the cooling tubing. Its the best chiller and cheapest one you can make. Constant 55 degrees. I won't say what the cooling tubing run is. But I can tell you were to buy the set up already configured . If anyone is interested . It way cheaper than RADs for fact.Does better job also. If anyone wants to do this on their own . I won't say ID of tubing or run. But keep in mind one thing OK. THe runs are long so to improve pressure drop and cooling surface keep flow in your mind for ALL THINGS IN LIFE . ID of tubing is key. Just PM me for were to buy. We worked out a deal with a contractor and he is installing them in all his builds. Its a win win for my daughter.

A word of caution . If any of you guys do design work on PC's don't use your online PC.

TO my knowlege I was the first person to ever to use diamond dust, As a heat sink compound for PC's. That Idea was stolen from me. The guy even used my link and bought from same salesman I did . When I reordered a larger quanity . The sales men mentioned to me that someelse had just bought the same stuff I used. He also said the guy told him what compund he was going to use with it. It was the same as mine. I said OH really. Than he asked how secure is your PC . Because .No one had ever asked about this as a useage for pC heatsink compound. Than in 2 weeks 2 guys pop up from no were. He flat out said I was hacked. Maybe I was Maybe not. But The salesmine was kind enough to give me his name and adderess. Also be careful about what you say online . If your designing . Pricks will steal your ideas . It happened to me at XS. It can easily be proven . I had a design very similar to fusion design water block and I mentioned it. I also said I was calling mine Vortec. Well guess what happens. Fusion takes that name and uses it on another product. I did get even tho . Very proud of it also. 2 companies are using my designs today. The best part is these were just starters. Not our best designs. You have to save something for later . THE VORTEC thing is a matter of forum record.

Guys at XS know it and so do I. Ya want to check it out . Just find the Fusion release thread. Its in their in black and white . There is no gray area. They stole from me . Its far from over between us and them far from over. Turtle 1

I am in a giving mode. This is our best design . Its the best heat sink you can build . NO its not my design as that would be a hard trick after 120 years of heatsink design.

Its not practical for resale. Its to expensive to produce. I do have One on my gamer tho its good.

Take the square post design and Bore threw the post. . This is not a center flow design it dual pass design . Thats all I will give. A little thought and its easy to figure the rest. Both inlet and outlet are on same end just like rad

taltamir

Lifer
Mar 21, 2004
Originally posted by: jones377

Here is the relevant part of that article:

Microsoft even offers Crysis benchmarks in 800 x 600 in Direct3D 10 mode with minimal game details. The results reveal that the CPU plus WARP10 can compete with Intel integrated graphics. Of course the fps rates are unplayable nevertheless, but the results can be seen as improvement. Microsoft also doesn't see WARP10 as a replacement for the graphics card.

sure it can, it just needs a CPU with enough FLOPS to rival a GPU... oh look, while quad cores are around 0.04 tera flops and GPUs are 0.6 (G92) to 1.X terra flops and the new larabee is gonna be 1 and 2 terraflops (depending on model).
Obviously this type of technology is neat, but it is completely useless in making "older video cards" more capable, what you will be seeing it do is making larabee run DX10.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Skimming the pages of this thread, I think a lot of people (most?) miss the point of i7. The new design makes multi-socket / backoffice solutions from Intel MUCH more competitive against competing offerings. The old Intel designs of connecting multiple sockets to both each other and to the system memory was becoming ludicrously inefficient.

The fact that i7 also offers some notable improvements in desktop performance is just gravy. The first chief payoffs will be in other areas than Desktop/gaming, but the platform as whole has more room to grow.