Any Wing Commander or Freespace games...

ichy

Diamond Member
Oct 5, 2006
Oh man I loved the Wing Commander series, especially #3. Probably helped that I played it when I was about 12 years old though so the bad acting and dialogue didn't bother me.

Martimus

Diamond Member
Apr 24, 2007
I doubt it, but mostly because joysticks aren't very common on PCs anymore. Although the proliferation of X-Box controllers on PCs recently might bring back the games that require a joystick to play well. (Although an analog stick is a poor substitute for a full joystick, it is better than using a keyboard).

The other option would be to use a mouse to control the action, and design the gameplay around that. I could see that working ok.

Jimmah

Golden Member
Mar 18, 2005
I love, and still play, FS2 and X3. Love love love space sims. Except EvE, eff that game.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
I enjoyed Heart of the Tiger very much.

But I imagine Mark Hamill's getting up in age these days...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
X3 was great... especially with all the customizations one can do..

There used to be a MMO called Earth above and Beyond... that was very simular to wing commander.

Eve is can also be said its simular... has the fighting u would want.. but its more AI based. I never got into Eve... its just too dayam complicated to enjoy without getting obsessed in it.

Then there is Star Trek Online... if u want to fly saucers looking ships.. but they do have some other good ships like the Neg'Var on the kling side, and the Vorcha.

AstroManLuca

Lifer
Jun 24, 2004
Nope. Everything's either an MMO or like the X-series (all the grinding and drudgery of an MMO but in a single player game instead).

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
I love, and still play, FS2 and X3. Love love love space sims. Except EvE, eff that game.

EVE isn't a space-sim game like Wing Commander or Freespace. As far the basic mechanics of the game goes it's mostly just a standard MMORPG set in space.

The dog-fighting space-sim game is dead and buried. It's more than just that no one has a joystick any more, it's the fact that a lot of the twitch crowd that used to buy this game are playing FPSs now.

Atreus21

Lifer
Aug 21, 2007
The dog-fighting space-sim game is dead and buried. It's more than just that no one has a joystick any more, it's the fact that a lot of the twitch crowd that used to buy this game are playing FPSs now.

Dead, but I disagree with buried. I bet it'll be back.

I still have a hard time forgetting Red Baron (not a space-sim, but definitely a dog-fighter.)

bearxor

Diamond Member
Jul 8, 2001
I enjoyed Heart of the Tiger very much.

But I imagine Mark Hamill's getting up in age these days...

I'd still like to see some kind of closure to the Prophecy storyline, even if it was just one more game instead of a trilogy.

Honestly, I liked Price of Freedom a lot better. Malcom McDowell was amazing.