Any way to set program network priority?

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
I'm fvcking annoyed by the fact that when I'm playing CS every now and then I get lag spikes where I jitter for a second or two, usually at the most inopportune moments. I'm pretty sure this is due to background programs doing something on the network, like firefox or bittorrent or norton ghost, etc.

When I play my games I set the game process to a High priority in Task Manager so background programs won't have a chance to steal its CPU cycles.

Is there such a thing for network priority? Like have CS be the ONLY thing allowed to use network resources when it's running?

iamtrout

Diamond Member
Nov 21, 2001
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net

that said, if you check out dd-wrt firmware for some routers, depending on their processor speeds, many do a DECENT job of shaping your network traffic. I recomment at LEAST m0n0wall if you need somethign heavy duty.

I have on of the sh!tty linksys WRT54G v5's, so no dd-wrt firmware for me. I also don't have linux.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: iamtrout
Originally posted by: Goosemaster
http://l7-filter.sourceforge.net

that said, if you check out dd-wrt firmware for some routers, depending on their processor speeds, many do a DECENT job of shaping your network traffic. I recomment at LEAST m0n0wall if you need somethign heavy duty.

I have on of the sh!tty linksys WRT54G v5's, so no dd-wrt firmware for me. I also don't have linux.

iirc you can now hack those...

Failsafe

May 24, 2002
Check out these routers from D-Link. They do QoS like network prioritization and are configured especially for games. I haven't personally used them but hear good things.

DGL-4100
DGL-4300

Aug 22, 2004
Actually, you can probably setup QoS on your computer to put a priority on packets comming from HL, or whatever games you play, so that your computer sends those packets out first before any others in the event you system has multiple packets that need to be sent at the same time. I've never played with QoS, but it probably can't be too hard to set up.

jlazzaro

Golden Member
May 6, 2004
they make software that does pretty much the same thing. you set the priority or kb/s limit on an executable. so 90% for hl.exe, 5% for ie, ect, ect...

dBTelos

Golden Member
Apr 17, 2006
Well, to the OP. If it is a network issue, then maybe not running Bit Torrent, downloading, or having a Web Browser loading pages while playing online games would be a lot simpler then downloading a program to bottle neck those programs for you.

harrkev

May 10, 2004
Originally posted by: dBTelos
Well, to the OP. If it is a network issue, then maybe not running Bit Torrent, downloading, or having a Web Browser loading pages while playing online games would be a lot simpler then downloading a program to bottle neck those programs for you.
Yeah, well what do you do about your firewall and virus scanners that like to check for updates every so often. And a lot of people have Windows set to update itself. Yes, you can turn these off, but then you have to remember to update manually, which can leave gaping holes in your security if you forget.

rasczak

Lifer
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: cross6
buy and xbox

and exactly how would this help out?

as for the OP's issue, try turning down your maximum upload rate in BT. that'll probably solve your issue with the hiccups. or jsut turn it off altogether when your runnin cs.

btw what servers do you play on?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Originally posted by: harrkev
Yeah, well what do you do about your firewall and virus scanners that like to check for updates every so often. And a lot of people have Windows set to update itself. Yes, you can turn these off, but then you have to remember to update manually, which can leave gaping holes in your security if you forget.
You can tell Windows and most other programs when it's allowable to check for updates. Windows XP defaults to 3:00am when Automatic Updates are enabled.

TiziteLayinLow

Aug 18, 2003
get a linksys wrt54g and i know satori has QoS per physical port and by protocol [ftp,http], and also by transport layer [udp,tcp].. if you are on a multinode network.. unplug the others to prevent internal collisions.[might help a little from what i remember by ethereal on a linksys it was all one collison domain..lol].

if you had a linux or cisco you could view the logs and get much better performance. an extra pc serving as router/firewall packet filtering by transport layer on outgoing traffic [to the internet] and only allow things out like your game??

good luck

rebatemonger : how long you been in the IT field..im shooting for MSCE and wondering what kind of benefits I could expect?? I have my associates in networking, along with A+ and network+.. taking the MS 70-270 and 70-290 in the next month.. any words of advice?