Any way to retrieve notepad (.txt) files?

Confusednewbie1552

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2004
I like to use notepad for various reasons (jot down ideas, copy and paste stuff, to-do lists, etc.), but unfortunately It doesn't have a recovery system. So whenever the fvckin windows update restarts my computer (without notifying me), it restarts with it everything I have open.

Well the notepad files I hadn't saved (stupid I know :eek:) have been closed, and I'm wondering if there is any possible way to retrieve them. I did a quick google search and didn't find anything, so i don't have any high hopes, but AT has surprised me before so I hope it can once again :D

In any case, major kudos to firefox and its auto-recovery system :thumbsup:

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
No, AFAIK notepad keeps everything in memory until you save the file so there's no temporary files to recover.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Lesson learned . . . I use my Notepad much the same way - lots of important little notes and stickies. Under Documents - create a folder called Text Files. Next time you use Notepad, do a SAVE AS to that folder. From then on it will open and save to that folder until redirected. But you have to do the SAVE. It is not automatic. That's basic computing 101. :)

C1

Platinum Member
Feb 21, 2008
Actually I like to use WordPad as it supports both keeping text formatting as well as use of colors, italics & bolding for highlighting.

In addition, it supports "scraps" which might be of help. As "corkyg" has suggested, just create a Notes folder on the desktop. In WordPad just select the text in the document & drag it into the Notes folder (This is very easy, simple & fast.) You may do whatever you want with the WordPad file (ie, save it or just close without saving).

http://www.chami.com/tips/windows/103196W.html

Rhonda the Sly

Nov 22, 2007
If you're on Windows Vista or 7, try using Sticky Notes for quick notes. It autosaves and the Windows 7 version has size-adjustable stickies.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
i once used one of those...it crashed and wiped out all the stickie data one time...i was pissed.

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
Actually I like to use WordPad as it supports both keeping text formatting as well as use of colors, italics & bolding for highlighting.

In addition, it supports "scraps" which might be of help. As "corkyg" has suggested, just create a Notes folder on the desktop. In WordPad just select the text in the document & drag it into the Notes folder (This is very easy, simple & fast.) You may do whatever you want with the WordPad file (ie, save it or just close without saving).

None of that covers the OP's problem at all...

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
As for OP's problem, the bottom line is, with Notepad, there is no file to retrieve unless it is saved. IOW, when Notepad is closed, and nothing is saved, there is no file to retrieve.

Confusednewbie1552

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2004
thanks everyone for your input, and nice ideas
I used to use this awesome program named turbonote many years ago that would always automatically save stuff as you type, I assume it's similar to stickies and stickynotes, so I might try one of those, or just get into the habit of actually saving my notepads lol
it just makes me mad that they don't have an option to "Restart Later" in the windows update (just postponing), but that's another rant for another time :D
once agains thanks guys :thumbsup:

Fox5

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
You could also just start up Word or OpenOffice, I think both have autosave features.