Any way to reduce fan speeds without a fan controller? (Coolermaster sickleflow)

Riotvale

Dec 20, 2009
Picked up a Coolermaster Sickleflow yesterday to replace a fan with a broken blade in my Noctua DH14. The computer store supply was limited to the Coolermaster, they didnt' have any Scythe gentle typhoons or yate loons in stocik.

Attached it to CPU HSF and plugged right into the P9x79 cpu pin header. The fan runs at 1.8k RPM continuously, and there was nothing I could see in the BIOS to change the speed manually, as well as through the ASUS monitoring software.

Without a fan controller, do I have any options for regulating speed on the sickleflow? 2k RPM is so loud, and I don't think it needs to run at that speed to maintain nice temps, 29-34 idle, 57-62 max load. (specs in sig below).

Thanks in advance

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
Should be in the monitor menu in the BIOS.

Make sure you have the CPU Q-fan control enabled, then set the cpu fan profile as you want, probably silent.

It's covered in the mb's manual, page 3-37.

Riotvale

Dec 20, 2009
i think the sickleflow being a non PWM fan is probably a reason why i can't regulate fan speeds. I'm such a noob, i guess i'll have to do it through lowering the voltage.

tarmc

Mar 12, 2013
I think some noctua fans come with an adapter to reduce voltage/speed. Not sure about other fans

Riotvale

Dec 20, 2009
Yup they do. I'm wondering why he didn't order from amazon or something :confused:

A couple reasons why:

-Needed same day fan (Sunday). Amazon doesn't have same day shipping on the weekend.

- FF14 beta. Computer needed to be up.

- Amazon Canada surprisingly doesn't have the same inventory as its US counterparts.

T_Yamamoto

Lifer
Jul 6, 2011
A couple reasons why:

-Needed same day fan (Sunday). Amazon doesn't have same day shipping on the weekend.

- FF14 beta. Computer needed to be up.

- Amazon Canada surprisingly doesn't have the same inventory as its US counterparts.
One fan isn't going to make that big of a difference...

fella272

Aug 17, 2013
i dont now about yours MB, but my, one of the fan connectors have a lower voltage, only one dont now if is a defect but it have.

one time i use two fan in series that make they be lower and steel working.