Any way to lock the refresh rate in Windows 7 64-bit?

pong lenis

Apr 23, 2013
There was refreshforce and refreshlock for Win XP but they don't work with Win 7.
I need something that locks the refresh rate to 60 at all times since other refresh rates look really weird. Many games just automatically set refresh rate at maximum value possible and won't allow you to change it.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Dxtory is a program capable of locking game refresh rates to whatever you want (its pay for). MSI afterburner can also do it (for free).

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
What games set another refresh rate than the maximum you've applied in your windows monitor setup?

And what refresh rates do they set?

What monitor do you have?

drebo

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2006
I've yet to see a modern game without the vsync option. Use that.

pong lenis

Apr 23, 2013
What games set another refresh rate than the maximum you've applied in your windows monitor setup?

And what refresh rates do they set?

What monitor do you have?

They set the refresh rate at 63hz.
Arma 2, SWTOR, FEZ, Metro 2033, the first two have config files where you can set the correct monitor refresh rate so no problem there, but the other two don't.
I've only had success using PowerStrip which forces the monitor into 60hz, but it needs to be open and running in the background all the time, takes a very long time to load, and doesn't work for all resolutions. I want to permanently lock the monitor at 60hz for all games.

Last edited:

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
What monitor do you have? and what videocard do you have? It sounds like you might have messed up your monitor inf file, so that it list refresh rates that are not supported.

how does your monitor setup looks like

plug-and-play-refresh-rate.jpg

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
I understand the problem now. The issue is that DX sets its own refresh rate. If the game doesn't expose the setting of the refresh rate its difficult to change.

_Rick_

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2012
What monitor do you have? and what videocard do you have? It sounds like you might have messed up your monitor inf file, so that it list refresh rates that are not supported.

how does your monitor setup looks like

plug-and-play-refresh-rate.jpg

Or, if it lists refresh rates, that are semi supported, you can go and mess with it, so that they aren't included. Basically write a "monitor driver", which mostly justs lists supported modes and possibly brings along a color profile.

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
The easiest fix is something like what the triple buffering insertor did from RivaTuna (name escapes me right now) where it intercepts the DX calls and changes the refresh rate the game passed to API to what the user actually wants. I don't know of any programs that have done this already but the MSI Afterburner guys might be willing to add it.