Any way to identify what is causing Win 10 to hang when logging in?

pete6032

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2010
Fresh install of Win 10 2004 on an older laptop i5-4200 8GB RAM. It is set up on our work network. It boots up to login screen just fine but after I put my username and PW in it will take 10-15 minutes of the little circle animation showing that it is loading my profile, and then it goes to the desktop. I see no reason why it should take so long to log in on a fresh install. Is there any way I can see if something is causing it to load slowly?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Does it have an SSD or HDD? It could just be that.

Also, check out "bootvis", I don't know if that's built into Windows 10 by now, or if it's a Sysinternal tool, or what, but I've heard of something along that name that will monitor the time taken by the various boot steps.

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Corrupted profile? Any chance you can create a new user to see if that one is slow, too.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
Does it have an SSD or HDD? It could just be that.

Also, check out "bootvis", I don't know if that's built into Windows 10 by now, or if it's a Sysinternal tool, or what, but I've heard of something along that name that will monitor the time taken by the various boot steps.

I don't think the Bootvis tool works with any recent version of Windows (remember using it with XP, but not since). I think there is a boot tracing tool with the Windows Peformance Toolkit you can use, but you probably have to install the Windows 10 Software Development Kit to get it.

One thing I've seen that sometimes speeds up logins is to turn off the following setting on the Sign In options settings page:

1596128117485.png

I also agree with @mpo that you should try to create a new user profile. Win 10 2004 was a defective POS update and I wouldn't doubt that it could have created a defective user profile, even on a clean install.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Try checking the event viewer for errors and timeouts.

This PC > Manage > Event Viewer > Custom Views > Administrative Events

Last edited:

Paperlantern

Platinum Member
Apr 26, 2003
Sorry i only saw this today and not sooner. I listen to Security Now on the regular, and Steve mentioned this in episode 779, the one that aired Aug 11th. Bleeping Computer has some reg hacks on the following page that allow you to do some things that aren't turned on out of the box in Windows 10, like showing seconds on the taskbar clock, or enabling the open command window here option on a right click menu. It also has one for enabling a verbose mode for bootup and shut down so it will display information on the screen about what is happening to the machine while it's doing it. Might be helpful in this case.

I had some machines that did this too in earlier versions of Windows 10, they were domain joined machines though, not sure if yours is, you did say it was at work, so there is a chance it is.

I had to delete and recreate the local profile for the user to get it to stop doing that. Though, yours is freshly loaded so that may not be a fix here. I also see a long hang when a machine is used to checking in with a specific Domain Controller, and that one is no longer available, though tis usually not 15 minutes for that to time out and locate a new DC. Maybe the bleeping computer article will help you find the problem though. Good luck!

Reactions: DAPUNISHER