Any way to get back my old EQ Account?

Status
Not open for further replies.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I had a very decked out Bard I sold on Playerauctions in 2004 after I got into the WoW closed beta. I'm curious whatever became of that char. Maybe it's a dick move to go and try to retake him after all these years, but I'm wondering if it's even possible.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who's tried to do this, so rather than waste my time with Sony, I wanted to see what your experience was.

Super idea that you are considering committing fraud, let's not even discuss that you were the one that broke SOE's ToS to begin with. This thread is now closed. Oakenfold, PC Gaming and Security Moderator.

Last edited by a moderator:

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
You sold it, move on or buy the game again. What you are wanting to do is plain out stealing now.

novasatori

Diamond Member
Feb 27, 2003
it is possible, if you remember all your info and try to get it back, depending on how active the current owner was and how the CSR feels you will have a 50/50 chance of getting the account back

EQ has a come back for free atm and has a new progression server opening like the 15th, I would just buy the newest copy for $39 if you wanted to play again and start on the new server

the CSR is the pivotal factor, I've had some that put notes on accounts that were mine and never owned by anyone else that I could never get help with it because I had tried to call in too many times since I forgot my PW.

I did eventually get it back by remember the PW (years later) but they can be assholes.

Such is the life when dealing with customer service though.

Also the original servers are trash now, take it from someone who has gone back quite a few times, either play the progression server when it launches or stay away.

Last edited:

NoQuarter

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
It's a dick move. You can go to EQ's website and find your character usually and see what level he is now and gear, but trying to reclaim it after you sold it is f'd up even if no one is using it now.

If you really want it back you should try to contact the guy you sold it to but I lost all that info a long time ago. Course far as I can tell the guy I sold to never bothered to change the email address associated with the account because I just got an email from SoE reactivating the account for 10 free days on the progression server.

But that ship has sailed, not my account anymore.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
There need to be laws that deal with this kind of thing, because right now there are not any, and the only thing governing it is the EULA.

And the laws should say that once you sell it, you can't get it back any more than you can sell someone a TV and then demand it back. That's a dick move.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
dickmove and hope you fail.

on a side note my damn toon is gone. i had a great toon but theserver i was on is gone and can't find it. i wanted to start up EQ2 again but not going to start from scratch

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I don't want to spend $40 to see what the games like for 10 minutes. That said, I've decided I won't try to take it back. You guys are right; sometimes I need a conscience check and to be called on my shit.

I am curious to see what it's like now though. Maybe they've got a free option? Tough to do too much gaming research at work at the moment...

TuxDave

Lifer
Oct 8, 2002
dickmove and hope you fail.

on a side note my damn toon is gone. i had a great toon but theserver i was on is gone and can't find it. i wanted to start up EQ2 again but not going to start from scratch

EQ2 server? There's been quite a bit of server merges so you just gotta figure out which one is the right one.

SunnyD

Belgian Waffler
Jan 2, 2001
www.neftastic.com
I've been wondering what has become of my old DAOC characters. The Herald at least lets me peek in and see they haven't been played in years.

I wonder about my old WoW account sometimes... since for the longest time I was still getting email notifications about the account. The new owner never bothered to change the email address.

Ross Ridge

Dec 21, 2009
I am curious to see what it's like now though. Maybe they've got a free option? Tough to do too much gaming research at work at the moment...

There's a free trial for EverQuest. It's limited to level 10, but you're not likely to reach that if you just want to see what the game is like for ten minutes.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
Sony's EULA says that you aren't allowed to sell the account. Sucks!

Naeeldar

Aug 20, 2001
Sony's EULA says that you aren't allowed to sell the account. Sucks!

Which means all they can do is ban the account.

It's unlikely the OP could get it back anyway. If he did the new owner could pull the account back because he has over a year with a cc on file. IN which case the account gets banned.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Well, the game is much the same as it was before, but gear has changed such that POWERFUL group gear is VERY available to all players. Compared to back in 2004 when you needed to raid in order to get good gear, or spend hours upon hours in groups just to get meh gear. Now you can buy good gear with points you earn for missions, it is a matter of time, not a matter of camping drops anymore.

Experiencing is faster than ever with huge task completion rewards, and if you started over on Firiona Vie they have a 50% exp bonus on top of all that.

Vampirrella

Golden Member
Apr 5, 2001
You can get the account back, no question about it. According to the EULA, you arent allowed to sell the account, but Sony doesn't know you "sold" it. When you call their customer service, they will ask for the name of the toon, the server its on and if you have proof of the credit card used and address (residence) back when you were an active sub.

No matter who has the account now, banned or not, Sony will always revert the account back to the original owner with sufficient proof of prior ownership. Even it its been deleted, they can find it on backup. I have called them many times and cust serve was actually quite helpful in getting my toons back. Even the deleted ones.

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
Bought an account and someone took it back huh? Serves ya right for buying one to begin with :rolleyes:

Nope, I've never played EQ before. But selling someone something in good faith and then using a technicality to take it back would cost you your life if I were king. What a scumbag move.

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Really, there should be laws that declare an online account as something that a person is able to sell. But they should no more be able to take it back than anything else they might sell. The quasi-illicitness of buying accounts that's caused by being against EULAs prevents people from making their account sales via legitimate websites that could allow them to have records of the sale that would stand up in court. Ebay for example was forced by the major gaming companies to stop listing accounts.

pmv

Lifer
May 30, 2008
There need to be laws that deal with this kind of thing, because right now there are not any, and the only thing governing it is the EULA.

And the laws should say that once you sell it, you can't get it back any more than you can sell someone a TV and then demand it back. That's a dick move.

Or you could insist people agree to an incredibly long and incomprehensible EULA before selling them the TV and later point to some obscure clause in it giving you the right to take it back if they use it to watch programs you don't like, or at least allowing you to disable it so it won't work any more.

Don't sell things, license them! Actually selling things is old fashioned thinking!

Status
Not open for further replies.