Any Virtual computer lab service out there?

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cardart, Feb 1, 2013.

1. cardart

cardart Senior member

Hello

I am looking for a virtual computer lab so I can run simulations and such on my slower laptop.

I tried searching Google under "Virtual computer lab" "Remote access service pay per session" and can't find anything.

I can't seem to find a service for it.
    I am willing to pay a fee per session.

A lot of Universities have it for their student to use but you have to be a current student. I graduated already.

Anyone can point me to the right direction?

Thanks!
    Tim

2. Loading...

Similar Threads - Virtual computer service Forum Date
    Virtualizing the Internet Networking Feb 2, 2017
    Pfsense on a Virtual machine. NIC question Networking Oct 10, 2016
    Virtual Machine Isolation Networking Aug 1, 2016
    I have 2 virtual machines that I am trying to get talking to each other Networking Jun 5, 2016
    Virtual NAS software for utilizing spare drive capacity on LAN computers. Networking Nov 14, 2008

3. thecoolnessrune

thecoolnessrune Diamond Member

What kind of virtual lab are you wanting to run? Its unlikely that you'll find a pay per session option available. Think about it, to pay by session, you would have to buy the service, set up your lab, run your simulation, and then the company would have to remove your entire session to make room for other customers. That would take more than a couple of days, and just wouldn't be profitable for the company.

Being a little more specific might help, but I definitely can't see this working outside of a monthly access sort of thing. It's the only way the company could make any money off of it :)

4. BrightCandle

BrightCandle Diamond Member

Can you not spin up Amazon EC2 servers for this? They charge by the hour and you can get all sorts of different setups and store your image so the machine can be spun up and down as needed or recreated.

5. imagoon

imagoon Diamond Member

Skytap can be used like this. You buy "units" and consume them based on cpu / disk / network loads. The estimates are pretty accurate as long as you don't spin up bittorrent or something.

6. VulgarDisplay

VulgarDisplay Diamond Member

Packet Tracer might be something you could play with? Not sure if it's publicly available outside the cisco academy.