Any vets here? Medical problem with cat...

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
One of my cats is keeping his right eye semi-closed...almost as if squinting. she can open it fully and does at times but seems to favor keeping it squinted. This has only been happening in the past 2 weeks or so. I don't see any visible discoloration (different from the other eye). I don't know if its an allergy type thing (?) or if I need to start worrying about an eye infection. What do you folks think.

edit: I've got a 3:15 appt. scheduled for today.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Your cat's been having problems with its eye for about two weeks and only now you ask what's wrong? On an internet forum?

rolleye.gif

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm not a vet, but I'd take it in for a checkup. My vet only charges $12 for an exam (total) so it doesn't hurt me to possibly save my cat from great pain.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Not a vet, but I know a few things. I would get kitty to a vet. Sounds either like an injury, or more likely an infection. Two weeks is too long to not have it checked. I'd call today.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard
I'm not a vet, but I'd take it in for a checkup. My vet only charges $12 for an exam (total) so it doesn't hurt me to possibly save my cat from great pain.

damm the ones around here want $35-40. Not saying my cat isn't worth it or anything like that but I wish my local vets were that cheap.

Hoober

Diamond Member
Feb 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Lucky
Originally posted by: dullard

damm the ones around here want $35-40. Not saying my cat isn't worth it or anything like that but I wish my local vets were that cheap.

I think that's pretty reasonable. That's about what I pay for a checkup for my dog.

Jul 1, 2000
Originally posted by: dullard I'm not a vet, but I'd take it in for a checkup. My vet only charges $12 for an exam (total) so it doesn't hurt me to possibly save my cat from great pain.

Good Lord! Take your cat to the vet, you cheap bastage! They can't help themselves, and they rely on you for help. It is your responsibilty, and 2 weeks is too long.

JoeKing

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
One of my cats is keeping his right eye semi-closed...almost as if squinting. she can open it fully and does at times but seems to favor keeping it squinted. This has only been happening in the past 2 weeks or so. I don't see any visible discoloration (different from the other eye). I don't know if its an allergy type thing (?) or if I need to start worrying about an eye infection. What do you folks think.

is there a more than normal amount of discharge from the eye? I ask becuase one of my cats had a problem that sounds similar to your cats but it involoved both of his eyes. We broought him to the vet and I remeber the vet explaining it has somthing to do with his inner eyelid. We asked how to fix it, and the vet mentioned surgery but he said the condition would return (so sorry I can't remeber the exact name of the condition, its been many years). The vet then suggested that since our cat doesn't appear to be in any pain, and he can still see fine we just leave it be.

I'd still take the puss to the vet anyway just to be on the safe side.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Jesus...Ok, maybe I've overstated the problem. It's not an all the time thing...which is why I thought it was an allergy or something. It probably hasn't even been two weeks. At any rate I got an exam scheduled for 3:15. We'll see what they say.

In response to Joeyman,

No abnormal discharge. Just the usual crusties in the morning. I did notice this morning the tissue/muscle immediately surrounding the eye seemed to be a bit pink (in relation to the other eye) which is why I got more concerned. Almost a little inflamed, but I don't know if that's the right word.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Sounds like an infection, in which case you need to get to the vet ASAP so you can get meds to treat it. Unfortunately it's usually stuff you have to put in the cat's eye, and giving a cat eye drops just sounds fun doesn't it?

Yeah, go to the vet dude. Your cat could lose an eye if you don't.

She just started secreting yellow puss from her eye. :(

why the hell are you still posting? GO TAKE THE DAMN CAT TO A VET!

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: FallenHero
She just started secreting yellow puss from her eye. :(

why the hell are you still posting? GO TAKE THE DAMN CAT TO A VET!

goddamm cant you read? I have an appt. in 45 minutes.

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: DevilsAdvocate
Originally posted by: dullard I'm not a vet, but I'd take it in for a checkup. My vet only charges $12 for an exam (total) so it doesn't hurt me to possibly save my cat from great pain.

Good Lord! Take your cat to the vet, you cheap bastage! They can't help themselves, and they rely on you for help. It is your responsibilty, and 2 weeks is too long.

Actually cats, more often than not, CAN help themselves and vets will just recommend that you allow them to heal on their own.

This, on the other hand, does sound like an eye infection. They may give the cat a shot and will probably give you come cream you'll have to try and put in the eye a couple times a day.

On a final feline health note, if you ever, EVER have a cat that is laying in it's cat box and meowing, or trying to go to the bathroom several times without success, get that cat to the vet immediately, especially if it's a male. The cat will most likely have a urinary blockage and has a good chance of dieing from it. I let one of our cats go 1 day because I didn't know what was up and he ended up dieing. The vet got him in an fixed up, but it was too late and his kidneys shut down.

amish

PistachioByAzul

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
On a final feline health note, if you ever, EVER have a cat that is laying in it's cat box and meowing, or trying to go to the bathroom several times without success, get that cat to the vet immediately, especially if it's a male. The cat will most likely have a urinary blockage and has a good chance of dieing from it. I let one of our cats go 1 day because I didn't know what was up and he ended up dieing. The vet got him in an fixed up, but it was too late and his kidneys shut down

This happened to my guy twice. He had to have emergency surgery both times. Then they put him on a special diet.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
She ended up having conjuctivitus (sp?) Doc said I didn't wait too long. :D Eyedrops twice a day for a week should fix it. Bad news is that he showed me where she had gingivitus and bad tartar (in a two year old cat!) and recommended dental work for $140.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
She ended up having conjuctivitus (sp?) Doc said I didn't wait too long. :D Eyedrops twice a day for a week should fix it. Bad news is that he showed me where she had gingivitus and bad tartar (in a two year old cat!) and recommended dental work for $140.

Go pick up some Tartar Control dry food. My folks have 6 cats and they all eat the stuff. I dunno how you feed your cats -- the folks do wet food twice a day with dry food out at all times -- but don't replace all the dry food unless you need to. Usually the stuff is tasty enough to cats that they'll eat it voluntarily.

Lucky

Lifer
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: yukichigai

Go pick up some Tartar Control dry food. My folks have 6 cats and they all eat the stuff. I dunno how you feed your cats -- the folks do wet food twice a day with dry food out at all times -- but don't replace all the dry food unless you need to. Usually the stuff is tasty enough to cats that they'll eat it voluntarily.

6 cats? Holy crap.

Anyways...yeah, they gave me some tartar control dry food. I feed my cats just like your parents do. As soon as I wake up I've got them walking on my chest meowing for wet food, same thing when I get home from work. I just leave dry food out, and I guess I'll buy the special stuff if they don't mind the taste of it.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
On a final feline health note, if you ever, EVER have a cat that is laying in it's cat box and meowing, or trying to go to the bathroom several times without success, get that cat to the vet immediately, especially if it's a male. The cat will most likely have a urinary blockage and has a good chance of dieing from it. I let one of our cats go 1 day because I didn't know what was up and he ended up dieing. The vet got him in an fixed up, but it was too late and his kidneys shut down.

Aww, poor kitty. One of ours was doing something like that, but as it turned out he's just diabetic. :Q It's made things real interesting around here.

yukichigai

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2003
Originally posted by: yukichigai

6 cats? Holy crap.

Anyways...yeah, they gave me some tartar control dry food. I feed my cats just like your parents do. As soon as I wake up I've got them walking on my chest meowing for wet food, same thing when I get home from work. I just leave dry food out, and I guess I'll buy the special stuff if they don't mind the taste of it.

They shouldn't, but it may take about a week or two for them to start really eating the stuff since it's kind of annoying. The way the stuff works there's a soft bit in the middle that sticks to the teeth, so when the cat cleans off the stuff 'cause it's bothering them it pulls off the tartar. It's kind of like peanut butter, but it eats tartar.

Antisocial Virge

Diamond Member
Dec 13, 1999
Originally posted by: EngineNr9
On a final feline health note, if you ever, EVER have a cat that is laying in it's cat box and meowing, or trying to go to the bathroom several times without success, get that cat to the vet immediately, especially if it's a male. The cat will most likely have a urinary blockage and has a good chance of dieing from it. I let one of our cats go 1 day because I didn't know what was up and he ended up dieing. The vet got him in an fixed up, but it was too late and his kidneys shut down

This happened to my guy twice. He had to have emergency surgery both times. Then they put him on a special diet.

Yea. Our male cat has FUS. We spent over $500 on getting him over it. We would take him in and they would shoot him full of fluids and he would be alright for a week and then come down with it again. Probably had him in to the vet 6 times or so. He was never really blocked but close, if he became totally blocked like twice they to the "gender change" operation to him. He went on the special diet for it and that didn't seem to help either. The vet eventually on a hunch decided to try this Coseqin drug which is actually a joint supplement but has been known to coat the bladder. Never had a prob since.

thomsbrain

Lifer
Dec 4, 2001
My kitty did that for a little while last year. I took it to the vet and they couldn't see anything wrong. It stopped doing it after a bit. Must have just been a little allergy. Hope your kitty is ok.