any users out there running stock fan on i7 920?

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
when i got my 920 and used the stock fan at stock speeds, i was getting BSODs (fresh win7 install) once i hit 85C in prime95.

scraped the intel HSF gunk off, and put on AS3. not much of a noticeable change.

fan defo was spinning. tested seating once (in addition to the initial seating) on each setup (intel, AS3). heat sink DEFINITELY was flat. not sure about CPU heat spreader.

anyone ELSE experience this? i've never had an AMD/intel HSF fail to cool before. (well, i DID use a Q6600's HSF for a used E4400 i got, my first intel since my P2-333)

since time was limited (had a distributed computing contest to do), i got a Xigma DK, but still, a manufacturer's cpu fan SHOULD NOT fail as colossally as this...

firewolfsm

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2005
Are you absolutely sure you mounted it correctly and that your case has at least decent air flow.

plonk420

Feb 6, 2004
probably didn't have good airflow, but when the Xigmatek was installed, temps were more normal. ~50s C (at load). maybe even just below 50. so i don't think the airflow could have been THAT bad...

as for mounting, i don't THINK i *completely* failed to install it correctly. i tried multiple times, made sure it looked like the thermal compound was making contact with the heatsink, not overapplied... i successfully installed the Q6600's HSF, after all...

have there been reports of heat spreaders not being flat (enough)? i've never had this issue before, so i never researched it.

KingstonU

Golden Member
Dec 26, 2006
I had some trouble with the push-pins on my Q9550, my mistake was that I kept trying to install it after I had installed the motherboard inside the case, no matter how much I tried or how much it seemed to be installed correctly, one of the pins kept comming off or the contact just wasn't great. Finally I took out the MB and making sure the pins were in entirely was much easier and then I was finally getting proper performance.