Any updates on 6990/ "GTX595" release dates?

palladium

Dec 24, 2007
My GTX280 is starting to show its age, both in terms of performance (especially at 2560 res) and cooling (no matter how hard I try to clean it without tearing it apart, it still runs at 97 degrees with crysis). I'm looking for a single slot, dual GPU card since my 280 can act as a PhysX card if needed (of course, I'd be upgrading to Win7 and SSD at the same time). Anyone here heard of any 'leaks' as to the release dates of the aforementioned cards? Last I checked the 6990 is still "Q1 2011" and the dual-Fermi's existence is debatable at best.

lowlymarine

Feb 3, 2011
Last I had heard was the same as you, the 6990 is due in "late Q1 2011," so I would expect it sometime in March.

A dual-GPU variant of the GTX 580 would almost assuredly be impossible, as the TDP of a single PCI-E card is theoretically limited to 300W by the ATX specification, and a maximum of 375W can be delivered through 2x8-pin + the slot itself. Since a single GTX 580 presses these limitations as it is, I really don't see how two of them could be placed on one card without severely limiting the clock speeds, even taking into account the various parts that wouldn't have to be duplicated.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
My GTX280 is starting to show its age, both in terms of performance (especially at 2560 res) and cooling (no matter how hard I try to clean it without tearing it apart, it still runs at 97 degrees with crysis). I'm looking for a single slot, dual GPU card since my 280 can act as a PhysX card if needed (of course, I'd be upgrading to Win7 and SSD at the same time). Anyone here heard of any 'leaks' as to the release dates of the aforementioned cards? Last I checked the 6990 is still "Q1 2011" and the dual-Fermi's existence is debatable at best.

AMD is releasing the 6990 next month.

There is nothing to confirm anything dual-gpu from nvidia. Just the usual rumors and blurbs on sites for page hits, but no confirmation. Could turn out to be smoke like the rumors of a dual 480 card were, could not.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009

You don't really mean single slot, do you? Single card, yes, but single slot, no, won't happen.

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
Dual 8pin connectors. Doesn't look like a reference design to me. More like a limited edition specialty product.

Why would it burst Grooveriding's bubble? He'll likely buy 2 of them, if they do become available.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Dual 8pin connectors. Doesn't look like a reference design to me. More like a limited edition specialty product.

Why would it burst Grooveriding's bubble? He'll likely buy 2 of them, if they do become available.

:)

As I said in my initial post: 'There is nothing to confirm anything dual-gpu from nvidia. Just the usual rumors and blurbs on sites for page hits, but no confirmation.'

That card is a custom EVGA card, nothing to do with a reference design coming out of nvidia. Likely a couple 560s on a stick and hopefully not another one of their useless cards with an onboard dedicated physx chip.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
The best deals right now are in a Xfire or SLI setup...I seriously cant imagine purchasing whatever AMD or nV come out with in a sandwich...sorry.

I am all for blowing money on hardware for e-peen purposes (I had one of the first retail 480s in the world http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2065410&highlight= )

But you are going to be able to easily beat whatever chopped-down cores they slap together with two cards that add up to be cheaper....

Last edited:

happy medium

Lifer
Jun 8, 2003
Nvidia will have a dual gpu card just as sure as the 6970 was going to be faster then the impossible to make gtx580, we all know how that went.

The same suckers who bought the gtx480 right before the gtx580 was released are now hoping that there 2 or 3 gtx480's will not also becaome a waste.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
There will be 2 Nvidia dual cards being released.

590 Released by EVGA that will feature two GF114's with 2GB total memory
595 Released by Nvidia that will feature twi GF110's with 3GB total memory

Wag

Diamond Member
Jul 21, 2000
There will be 2 Nvidia dual cards being released.

590 Released by EVGA that will feature two GF114's with 2GB total memory
595 Released by Nvidia that will feature twi GF110's with 3GB total memory
You see I've heard this too and yet all I see is a lot of supposition and not a lot of proof. Yes, I've seen the pics of the Evga card but there have been dual-GPU Nvidia cards rumored for well over the past year and nothing has become of them. So I have to wonder if anything will become of this as well?

Castiel

Golden Member
Dec 31, 2010
You see I've heard this too and yet all I see is a lot of supposition and not a lot of proof. Yes, I've seen the pics of the Evga card but there have been dual-GPU Nvidia cards rumored for well over the past year and nothing has become of them. So I have to wonder if anything will become of this as well?

Just be patient. Last i read Nvidia was waiting on the 6990 to be released then they would release the 595

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
6990 is just gonna be 2x 6950x in crossfire...

it ll probably cost more than 2x... so want that level of performance?
buy 2x 6950s instead, probably cheaper and no waiting.

also cards like these have to be for eyefinity resolutions... bring on he 3 monitor resolution wars!

Lonyo

Lifer
Aug 10, 2002

No one knows until NV make an official announcement saying the card is coming.
Anything before that is speculation.
Like has been said, it's not coming until it's announced. You can show me 1,000 rumours about a dual card from NV, including as many pictures as you want, but until NV actually officially announces it, it's pure speculation that it will ever come.

Dark Shroud

Golden Member
Mar 26, 2010
6990 is just gonna be 2x 6950x in crossfire...

it ll probably cost more than 2x... so want that level of performance?
buy 2x 6950s instead, probably cheaper and no waiting.

also cards like these have to be for eyefinity resolutions... bring on he 3 monitor resolution wars!

More like two down clocked 6970s the same as the 5970 was two down clocked 5870s. So people with strong enough rigs can over volt & over clock the GPUs up to 6970 speeds and beyond.

And yeah I doubt Nvidia will officially release a duel GPU card at this point. EVGA has shown cards like that before and nothing came of them. I really don't know how they could release a duel GPU card that could match the HD 6990 at stock. That's not counting over clocking, more memory, or how well Crossfire is performing at the moment.

Last edited:

tviceman

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2008
www.facebook.com
http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2054190&highlight=dual

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2076128&highlight=dual

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2089768&highlight=dual

These ones are a good laugh as well. There are more too, but why bother.

Got to love when the raging nv fannys show up and turn another thread into a whinefest.

Please. Do not act like you have never been wrong. In fact, your MO defense mechanism seems to be pointing to other people's mistakes and then calling them gaing fanboys and accuse them of whining. I don't feel like taking the two minutes out of my day to comb through your posts and find all your "here's the new single GPU king," "faster than a gtx580," and "equal to or better than the hd5990" in reference to Cayman. But you've got plenty of them, and plenty of thread starters with these WRONG speculations in mind too.
Your maturity is often than not appalling.

Grooveriding

Diamond Member
Dec 25, 2008
Please. Do not act like you have never been wrong. In fact, your MO defense mechanism seems to be pointing to other people's mistakes and then calling them gaing fanboys and accuse them of whining. I don't feel like taking the two minutes out of my day to comb through your posts and find all your "here's the new single GPU king," "faster than a gtx580," and "equal to or better than the hd5990" in reference to Cayman. But you've got plenty of them, and plenty of thread starters with these WRONG speculations in mind too.
Your maturity is often than not appalling.

I held the opinion as I expected it would not be a far cry for the 6970 to come in faster than it did. And when it turned out to be a disappointment, I labeled it as such and lumped it in with the 580 disappointment as well. I don't see that from some posters here, they'll take something that did not live up to expectations and spin it out because they can't bring themselves to admit it for whatever reason.

I don't see maturity being even a context with my posts here. It's not just things like the vapor-ware dual-480 and dual-580 posts. There are many other garbage threads of random fudzilla ramblings and the like.

This thread was going fine until, as per usual, a couple of nv's finest got worked up and in a tizzy over a statement of the current situation on what is and is not confirmed and polluted the thread with whining.

It's a running broken record of behavior around here. I'm not even clear where this is coming from with you, perhaps you feel my comments targeted some of your posts ? I was just pointing that the dual 580 posts are pure personal speculation or more of the same random blurbs we saw about dual 480 cards that amounted to nothing, much like your guarantees of the 560 being released back in November or the dual 460 coming any day.

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=30197367&postcount=6

http://forums.anandtech.com/showpost.php?p=30636457&postcount=16

Last edited:

Arkadrel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2010
The reason Nvidia doesnt make a dual GPU in 1 card is 300 watt PCIe limit....

and this:
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6950/30.html

perfwatt_1920.gif

Last edited: