Any tips on replacing a shed door?

Feb 4, 2009
I need to fix mine, wood has become bowed and squirrels are getting inside.
I don’t like wood working projects. I assume a larger/heavier hinge is best to use.
I am thinking of lining the top and bottom where squirrels attack it with metal L brackets.
I assume the door should be level to the ground.
Anything else (besides box the door with 2 by whatever to help keep it straight)

deadlyapp

Diamond Member
Apr 25, 2004
What's the size? Good frame, heavy duty hinges, you could put galvanized steel around the edges to help protect the wood.

mindless1

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2001
I don't understand. If the wood is bowed enough that they get inside, it's just that, right? Not that they are attacking the wood?

I have a ton of squirrels that never attack anything but it may be because I have two massive oak trees with acorns that keep them busy.

I'd need pictures, "maybe" that would help but the general impression I'm getting is you just need to build, or buy, a new door. If weather is taking its toll then maybe use pressure treated lumber?

An old timer's trick to deter squirrels... and granted, I mention this because I grow super pot peppers so I have an abundance to spare to make this, is reduce the peppers to an oily pulp, and put that on the wood. Some people would use poison instead, but I'd rather the squirrels lived to see another day and get the damn acorns out of my yard lol.

Reactions: VirtualLarry
Feb 4, 2009
Two doors each about 30” wide
Over time the doors have bowed at the top and squirrels we getting in thru the opening. I ghetto partched that opening and they clawed thru my cheap repair.
Door frame is in okay shape but the wood does have some long cracks.
Current doors are too warped and now clawed/chewed to be useful.
Door currently are PT plywood
I’ve cut down a few branches that I believe the squirrels were using to get on the sheds roof. There is a higher branch which I’ve see them use to get out.
Going to get the higher branch done hopefully today.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
It all depends on how much you're willing to invest in the project. A pair of prehung steel doors would do the job, but they're pricey. Another option is to buy a couple prefab steel gate frames and skin them with plywood.