Any thoughts of PC Richard & Son?

ojai00

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2001
Looking to get a new TV and there are a few PC Richard & Son stores in New York. Anyone have any experiences (good/bad) with them?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: ojai00
Looking to get a new TV and there are a few PC Richard & Son stores in New York. Anyone have any experiences (good/bad) with them?

Scumbag salesmen, high prices, etc

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
I have two personal stories.

1. My father-in-law used to spend a lot of money there. He loves electronics. My wife had a laptop die on her, and she needed to put the hard drive in another laptop so she could get some files off it. They let her bring it down and put it in one of their demo machines and do it right there on the sales floor.

2. Last black friday when all of the other stores had their $400 laptops in limited quantities, and people had to wait in line all night just to hope to get a chance to stand in line for 2 hours to activate an AOL account when AOL's servers were down, etc... PC Richard and Sons had a laptop that was $500 after rebate. I went in around 9-10 p.m., they were sold out. They let me order one, said the rebate would still be good because I purchased it on that date (it was a store rebate). The laptop came in a week or two later, I sent the rebate in and I had the check BEFORE CHRISTMAS. Incredible turnaround time for a rebate.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: BD2003

Agreed. For some reason lots of New Yorkers swear by them though. I'll never understand. J&R and B&H may have pushy salesmen as well, but at least they both have good prices, will negotiate and have better selection for lots of stuff (I know those aren't DIRECT competitors, but they're NY institutions as well).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: loup garou

Agreed. For some reason lots of New Yorkers swear by them though. I'll never understand. J&R and B&H may have pushy salesmen as well, but at least they both have good prices, will negotiate and have better selection for lots of stuff (I know those aren't DIRECT competitors, but they're NY institutions as well).

Beach Camera is the same way (not a NY store, but another local store with a well-known online presence).

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: loup garou

Beach Camera is the same way (not a NY store, but another local store with a well-known online presence).

Theyre all pretty much the same.

If you want a new TV, do the research yourself, ask for ZERO help from the salesmen. Know what you want before you go in there. Because they are there to do anything but help you. They are there to earn their commission, and will blatantly mislead you and persuade you into buying something you don't need. The best part is when they try to buddy up to you, and actually pretend like they care...theyre as bad or worse than used car salesmen.