Any swimmers who are allergic to pool chlorine?

aic

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
I can't swim anymore because of what I believe to be an allergic reaction to pool chlorine. Stuffs up my sinuses and I sound like I have a bad cold. I will try a nose plug but not sure that will help. Any other tips?

L

Lola

Can you really wash yourself well after swimming(especially your face)? I know there are special shampoos they have to take the chlorine out of your hair, you you could try and use it on your body too.

I know that when i swim, my hair turns green from it.

aic

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: LolaWiz
Can you really wash yourself well after swimming(especially your face)? I know there are special shampoos they have to take the chlorine out of your hair, you you could try and use it on your body too.

I know that when i swim, my hair turns green from it.

Thanks.

It is an indoor YMCA pool.

thelanx

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2000
There are brominated pools around, but that's not really a solution. See a doctor for an allergy test.

AmerDoux

Dec 4, 2001
I knew a guy who's entire body would break out in boils. For years he thought he had systemic acne, until he took two months off to recoup from an injury/surgery. During the break his skin cleared up. He ended up having a battery of tests and he is allergic to the chlorine in the water.

D1gger

Diamond Member
Oct 3, 2004
We have several ozone treated pools here and they are much nicer to swin in.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Although some people claim to be allergic to chlorine, this condition is very rare. Allergists insist that only a very small minority of patients actually experience an allergy to chlorine, which involves a reaction of the immune system to foreign substances. Even prolonged exposure to chlorine isn't likely to produce an allergy. Instead, sufferers are most likely oversensitive to chemicals. Chlorine in swimming pools or drinking water can irritate your eyes and skin and can cause coughing, sneezing, and wheezing if inhaled. Chlorine can also increase your sensitivity to other allergies like hay fever or pet allergies. If you suffer from these symptoms, there may be too much chlorine in your pool or drinking water. It's also possible that your problem is swimmer's sinusitis (sine-you-SYE-tihs), which is caused by cooling of the skin and getting water into the sinuses. This results in a stuffy, itchy nose with some discharge after swimming. The best treatment is to switch to a non-chlorine pool sanitizer. Some other remedies include nose plugs, saline nasal sprays, decongestants, and other medications that help keep the nasal passages open. Also, drink plenty of water to keep the mucus thin and allow the nose to drain quickly. If the problem persists, be sure to see a doctor, since you could develop a serious sinus infection and complicate the problem.

Ime

Diamond Member
May 3, 2001
My sister is allergic to chlorine as well. It gives her terrible rashes.

However, as her doctor said, we are all allergic to chlorine. After all, it's used to kill stuff.

Give a high enough concentration and anyone will have a problem with it.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
Originally posted by: Ime
However, as her doctor said, we are all allergic to chlorine. After all, it's used to kill stuff.

Give a high enough concentration and anyone will have a problem with it.
There is a big difference between a poison and an allergen.

aic

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: hjo3
Although some people claim to be allergic to chlorine, this condition is very rare. Allergists insist that only a very small minority of patients actually experience an allergy to chlorine, which involves a reaction of the immune system to foreign substances. Even prolonged exposure to chlorine isn't likely to produce an allergy. Instead, sufferers are most likely oversensitive to chemicals. Chlorine in swimming pools or drinking water can irritate your eyes and skin and can cause coughing, sneezing, and wheezing if inhaled. Chlorine can also increase your sensitivity to other allergies like hay fever or pet allergies. If you suffer from these symptoms, there may be too much chlorine in your pool or drinking water. It's also possible that your problem is swimmer's sinusitis (sine-you-SYE-tihs), which is caused by cooling of the skin and getting water into the sinuses. This results in a stuffy, itchy nose with some discharge after swimming. The best treatment is to switch to a non-chlorine pool sanitizer. Some other remedies include nose plugs, saline nasal sprays, decongestants, and other medications that help keep the nasal passages open. Also, drink plenty of water to keep the mucus thin and allow the nose to drain quickly. If the problem persists, be sure to see a doctor, since you could develop a serious sinus infection and complicate the problem.

Thanks.

badmouse

Platinum Member
Dec 3, 2003
My 16-yr-old son is also "allergic" to chlorine - he breaks out in hives and his nose passages swell up so that he stops breathing. Not fun. We've been through the whole allergist route and frankly, most allergists are lowlife doodoo bags.

I put "allergic" in quotes because when we hit the emergency room, if I say "allergic" they get an allergist who argues, rather than helps, but if I say he's "sensitive" to chlorine and he stopped breathing because of it, then we get a real doctor.

Anyway, in our area there are a couple of spring-fed outdoor public pools that are kept chlorine-free, and a lot of "allergic" people go there, including us. If you start making phone calls you will find that there ARE non-chlorinated pools. Takes a while, but worth the effort.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
Originally posted by: aic
Originally posted by: hjo3

Thanks.

AKA it's impossible to be allergic to cholrine. Cholorine is an element. The only people who can legitimatley claim to be allergic to cholorine were killed by chorline based gas bombs in WW1

Accipiter22

Banned
Feb 11, 2005
Originally posted by: aic
I can't swim anymore because of what I believe to be an allergic reaction to pool chlorine. Stuffs up my sinuses and I sound like I have a bad cold. I will try a nose plug but not sure that will help. Any other tips?

they have a hypo allergenic version of pool sanitizer, if it's your own pool, or someone who you could convince to use it. I used to work in a pool store, we'd get ppl with allergies every now and then...I think it's potassium based

aic

Golden Member
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: badmouse
My 16-yr-old son is also "allergic" to chlorine - he breaks out in hives and his nose passages swell up so that he stops breathing. Not fun. We've been through the whole allergist route and frankly, most allergists are lowlife doodoo bags.

I put "allergic" in quotes because when we hit the emergency room, if I say "allergic" they get an allergist who argues, rather than helps, but if I say he's "sensitive" to chlorine and he stopped breathing because of it, then we get a real doctor.

Anyway, in our area there are a couple of spring-fed outdoor public pools that are kept chlorine-free, and a lot of "allergic" people go there, including us. If you start making phone calls you will find that there ARE non-chlorinated pools. Takes a while, but worth the effort.

Thanks. I went swimming on Sunday and my nose is still stuffed up. :frown:

Nov 30, 2005
I have a problem with chlorine in the pool we go to. I actually feel faint and nauseous from the smell. I wish they used sodium hypochloride.

Will ask the pool manager tonight when we go.