any suggestions for a database server hardware

myinbocks

Aug 24, 2009
Hi,

We currently have a intel xeon quad core processor system as our database server. SQL 2005. Now there is a need for us to upgrade to a much more beafy system.

We need to increase the number of procs and a faster system.
Right now its 16 (4 quad core) I would like to know which one is better. AMD Hex or Intel Xeon Hex for a database application

:roll:

thks,
Myinbocks

Soulkeeper

Diamond Member
Nov 23, 2001
I can't say I know from experience, as i've never built a 4 or 8 socket system.
Last I read the HT interconnect helped amd's multi socket solutions scale very well (not sure if intel has an answer to that).
I'd wager to guess that for all intents the performance difference between either AMD or Intel in your case would be difficult to notice.
perhaps you should consider using a different metric for your buying decision ie: price, total system power usage, etc.

I'm sure someone else here has more current knowledge on the multi-socket situation
good luck

tomt4535

Golden Member
Jan 4, 2004
Perhaps you should look into Disk I/O, Memory and Network bandwidth too, as just adding processors might not increase the speed of the DB server. 16 processors is a lot.

myinbocks

Aug 24, 2009
Well we are going to increase the memory too. And we already on the EMC backbone for disk subsystem.

The reason we are considering AMD is also the price. I think we are goin to go with AMD