Any such thing as a 90° USB Adapter?

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
I've got an Ultraportable Laptop (Fujitsu P5020D) and it has 2 USB2.0 ports on the right side of the Laptop.

There's no option for a Mini-PCI Wireless card with Bluetooth (at least not one that is supported by the Laptop) so I'm opting for a USB Dongle instead (already have one for my Desktop).

The thing is, I might want to keep the dongle on while traveling (there's some cool things you can do to control your PC/Notebook over Bluetooth), but the dongle sticking straight out from the side isn't good.

A 90° USB Adapter would help greatly, but so far my searches have resulted in zip.

Any help or thoughts?

thanks.

hjo3

Diamond Member
May 22, 2003
What? No PCMCIA card for Bluetooth? There's tons... can your slot not handle a Type II or something?

EDIT: I looked up your notebook's specs... there's no reason why something like this shouldn't work, unless you're running some unsupported OS... you're just using Windows, right?

Namuna

Platinum Member
Jun 20, 2000
Gave up after page-10 on the Froogle link...thanks anyway dman.

PCCard Bluetooth is going to run about a minimum of $70 and those things JUT out quite a bit...I also looked at Bluetooth CF cards (Socket Bluetooth CF would be PERFECT) but those ain't cheap either...Thanks though hjo3

Yes, I could solder an eyepatch on a mosquito! ;) is there a diagram somewhere or what do you suggest XXAgent?

Thanks everyone, for the replies

xxAgentCowxx

Jan 26, 2003
either 1 of 2 things:
1) (unprofessional) buy a USB extension cable, cut the cables almost all the way to the plugs, solder & shrink, then epoxy the ends onto something firm at the angle you want
2) buy m/f USB plugs, etch a board or wire one of those boards with the little holes, solder to board, find a way to house it all

Bekker

Golden Member
Sep 6, 2000
If anyone wants to build and sell some, they might make money from people with Dell Inspiron notebooks! The USB ports are in the middle of the back. When using usb flash memory, they stick straight out and if you cross your legs while using one, if not very careful, you hit the drive and bend it or break the outer plastic off. Or maybe I just have spastic knees. Have bent mine multiple times and made the plastic come apart once. Finally resorted to a hub to stop doing it!

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
I took apart my dlink bluetooth adapter, and removed one of the usb sockets on my laptop's mobo (sony r505jl), then mounted them internally so I wouldn't have anything sticking out of my system. :)

Of course, I just have a hole (which I patched with a small piece of silver plasitc) where my usb socket used to be, but it's better than something sticking out. :)

If you're technically inclined and don't mind taking your laptop apart (and don't mind a hole where your usb port used to be), you could try that method as well.

dman

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 1999
I know I've seen these somewhere, Figured either cyberguys.com or mcmelectronics.com would have it, but, didn't find it in a quick search of either. Maybe I saw it at best buy? They do have them...

WinkOsmosis

Banned
Sep 18, 2002
Originally posted by: werk
I took apart my dlink bluetooth adapter, and removed one of the usb sockets on my laptop's mobo (sony r505jl), then mounted them internally so I wouldn't have anything sticking out of my system. :)

Of course, I just have a hole (which I patched with a small piece of silver plasitc) where my usb socket used to be, but it's better than something sticking out. :)

If you're technically inclined and don't mind taking your laptop apart (and don't mind a hole where your usb port used to be), you could try that method as well.

And voiding warranty!

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: WinkOsmosis
Originally posted by: werk

And voiding warranty!
What can I say, I like to live on the edge. :p