Any soul music fans here? Anthony Hamilton might be the next Al Green or Marvin Gaye

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
I bought the Anthony Hamilton album (Coming from where I'm from) a few months ago and as often as I play it I'm still not tired of hearing it. This guy is really one of the truest soul singers to emerge since the 60's and 70's. With so much crap that's been masqueraded as soul music in the last decade or so it's kind of refreshing to actually hear someone who can really sing and does'nt rely on gimmicks to sell an album. I highly recommend this album to any fan of real soul music.

Now if only D'Angelo or Maxwell would release another album I'd be happy. (at least for a little while)

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Al Green and Marvin Gaye are two of my favorites. I grew up listening to both (my mom is a HUGE Marvin Gaye fan...she has all of his CD's and I got her two DVD's for Christmas).

When I grew up, I used to call every male vocalist that came on the radio Al Green. So my parents would say, "Who's that on the radio?" and no matter what I'd always say "AL GREEN!!!!!!"

They still kid me about that to this day :D

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4
Al Green and Marvin Gaye are two of my favorites. I grew up listening to both (my mom is a HUGE Marvin Gaye fan...she has all of his CD's and I got her two DVD's for Christmas).

When I grew up, I used to call every male vocalist that came on the radio Al Green. So my parents would say, "Who's that on the radio?" and no matter what I'd always say "AL GREEN!!!!!!"

They still kid me about that to this day :D

heh thats a funny story

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Anthony Hamilton? I gonna look if I find the CD somewhere. What else can you recommend at the moment? :)

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: ndee
Anthony Hamilton? I gonna look if I find the CD somewhere. What else can you recommend at the moment? :)

I can probably give you some good recommendations based on who currently listen to. Give me a few names of the artists you like and I'll make some suggestions.

ndee

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Just got me the Anthony Hamilton CD BTW, I LOVE the first song... that beat from Jay-Z... tha bomb and yeah he has a nice voice.

I like Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Brian McKnight, Blackstreet(Another Level Album, the old one), Norah Jones, etc. Just some nice RnB actually :)

baZillionaire

Dec 13, 2003
hey i got the cd, gave it a listen driving home, thanks Arkitech, I hadn't heard this guy before, I'm liking it. ! I do like song #1 alot, and a couple others, gotta listen a few more times, but I like it alot and I just bet my bf will too.

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: ndee
Just got me the Anthony Hamilton CD BTW, I LOVE the first song... that beat from Jay-Z... tha bomb and yeah he has a nice voice.

I like Boyz II Men, Mariah Carey, Brian McKnight, Blackstreet(Another Level Album, the old one), Norah Jones, etc. Just some nice RnB actually :)

Well lets see based on those choices I would highly recommend anything from Maxwell's catalog. Really nice soulful music accompanied by great singing and song writing. His "Embrya" album blew my mind, its probably not for everyone but if you like challenging music give it a listen.

Dwele is another artist who shows a lot of promise, he just released his first major label album last year entitled "Subject". Unfortunately Subject is not as consistent as Anthony Hamilton's album but Dwele is really a talented producer and a decent singer. If you can try to track down his unreleased album called "Rize" its a collection of songs he put together before go signed to his current record label. In fact if you use the P2P program Soulseek let me know and I can send you the album.

You're probably already familiar with D'Angelo and Erykah Badu but if not they both have really good albums. Badu's last album was her weakest effort so I would recommend you avoid that one until you hear her other work.

Since we're talking soul, there are few hiphop groups who have strong soul influences in their music you might like. Slum Village, Strange Fruit Project, Digable Planets and Common are some great hiphop artists with moving music, especially if you like hiphop thats not exactly mainstream.

PM me anytime if you want to hear a sample of any of the artists in this post

Arkitech

Diamond Member
Apr 13, 2000
Originally posted by: baZillionaire
hey i got the cd, gave it a listen driving home, thanks Arkitech, I hadn't heard this guy before, I'm liking it. ! I do like song #1 alot, and a couple others, gotta listen a few more times, but I like it alot and I just bet my bf will too.

Cool I'm glad you liked it. He's a great artist I just wish he had a little more promotion from his record label.