Any Skyrim benchmarks out yet?

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
My wife is interested in this game as a distraction but I'm not to sure how up to task her PC is. I've seen the system requirements, but you know how that goes.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Wait until its actually out. Let people play it. Let them tell you what they have and how they fared.

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
Wait until its actually out. Let people play it. Let them tell you what they have and how they fared.

To be fair a lot of folks knew it's out this week, so naturally assumed it'd be out on normal game release day (Tuesday).

OP it doesn't come out til Friday (11-11-11) so you won't see any user numbers till then.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005
IGN will release their review Thursday morning, so we might see some benchmark information before Friday.

Rakewell

Platinum Member
Feb 2, 2005
This might help:

http://www.geeksailor.com/skyrim-system-requirements-pc/

Recommended Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Quad-core Intel or AMD CPU
4GB System RAM
6GB free HDD space
DirectX 9.0c compatible NVIDIA or AMD ATI video card with 1GB of RAM (Nvidia GeForce GTX 260 or higher; ATI Radeon 4890 or higher).

Minimum Specs

Windows 7/Vista/XP PC (32 or 64 bit)
Processor: Dual Core 2.0GHz or equivalent processor
2GB System RAM
6GB free HDD Space
Direct X 9.0c compliant video card with 512 MB of RAM

flexy

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
To me this looks like any recent/decent PC/laptop should be able to run it.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Her PC has a phenom II X3 720, 8 GB and a x1900xt. It needs a video card upgrade but she hasn't played games on it for awhile so it wasn't pressing. I might hand down my hd4850 (which also has done plenty for me as of late...)

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Her PC has a phenom II X3 720, 8 GB and a x1900xt. It needs a video card upgrade but she hasn't played games on it for awhile so it wasn't pressing. I might hand down my hd4850 (which also has done plenty for me as of late...)

I haven't seen any benchmarks out yet, but I'm willing to bet that just like Oblivion that the game will have a lot of options to scale it to almost any computer. So I guess the question is are you willing to turn down a lot of settings and have limited view distance? If so that computer (with the hd4850) should run it rather well at most resolutions.

But at the same time I'm betting that if you try to run it at max settings it will choke on even a top of the line system.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I am looking forward to a month or two after it's out, for when it's patched and playable without too many bugs.... Hoping my crossfire 5870 setup can handle 5760x1080 (well I think it renders 6000 something x1080 due to bezel correction)

Matripe4

Nov 10, 2011
well from the graphic details i would have to say the requirements will be high...
let's just hope my PC will handle the game well

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
I am looking forward to a month or two after it's out, for when it's patched and playable without too many bugs.... Hoping my crossfire 5870 setup can handle 5760x1080 (well I think it renders 6000 something x1080 due to bezel correction)

The game isn't even out and you know it'll have bugs? And by bugs do you mean game-breaking bugs or just your common minor bugs seen in every frigging games released since PC game exist?

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
The game isn't even out and you know it'll have bugs? And by bugs do you mean game-breaking bugs or just your common minor bugs seen in every frigging games released since PC game exist?

The current cool thing to do is the "Bethesda games aren't playable until months later cuz so buggy LOLOLOLOL". Where most of the people posting this probably never encountered a serious game breaking bug in any Bethesda game, but because others do it they try to be funny and do it too. People just being dramatic because of a glitched terrain somehow makes a game unplayable.

Once released they will scour the internet trying to find any Skyrim bugs to try to justify their claims, when in reality it probably will be just as many bugs as nearly all other games made.

IGN review says they did not find any game breaking bugs.

Last edited:

terry107

Dec 8, 2005

"Bethesda has developed something of a reputation for releasing buggy games, and Skyrim is no exception. My game locked up five or six times, though I didn’t lose any progress thanks to the game’s frequent automatic saves. I also experienced a handful of weird animation glitches and conversation errors — nothing major or game-breaking, but worth noting. Bethesda has promised a day-one patch that will hopefully fix some of these issues."

From Wired's review.

J-Money

Feb 9, 2003
"Bethesda has developed something of a reputation for releasing buggy games, and Skyrim is no exception. My game locked up five or six times, though I didn’t lose any progress thanks to the game’s frequent automatic saves. I also experienced a handful of weird animation glitches and conversation errors — nothing major or game-breaking, but worth noting. Bethesda has promised a day-one patch that will hopefully fix some of these issues."

From Wired's review.

Yeah so no game breaking "this game is unplayable!" bugs that apparently have existed in every Bethesda game ever made, according to this place.

PingSpike

Lifer
Feb 25, 2004
Bethseda games in the past have been pretty major bug fests. I bought Oblivion on release and thought its issues were pretty minor though so they've improved their process.

Daggerfall, now that was a buggy game!

HumblePie

Lifer
Oct 30, 2000
Yeah so no game breaking "this game is unplayable!" bugs that apparently have existed in every Bethesda game ever made, according to this place.

I would call a game constantly locking up pretty damn game breaking for me.

mnewsham

Lifer
Oct 2, 2010

Play game for 2 hours
Game locks up after 2 hour period
Wait 5 minutes to restart game and continue playing

in your mind that means the game is unplayable?
or "broken"?

Seems more like a safety feature, gives you time to use the bathroom and grab another mountain dew.

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

I mean annoyances ...

In New Vegas, there were many quests that were bugged, thankfully not the main questline, but a good number of quests were broken due to missing NPCs and what not.

In Fallout 3, there were game breaking bugs, at least for me, the initial release performed horribly and crashed all the time.

Since Skyrim is from Bethesda, it's most likely going to be released before a good number of bugs are patched.

Obviously I can not know for certain if it will have have game breaking bugs vs annoyances.... but, either way, I will give it some time, would rather play it when it's polished and "done" vs being a beta tester.

terry107

Dec 8, 2005

In the review he noted that he had played for about 62 hours. Assuming the number of lockups is total over his cumulative playing time, it comes out to one lockup every 10 or so hours. While I agree lockups are annoying and break immersion, I can handle one every 10 hours.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
In the review he noted that he had played for about 62 hours. Assuming the number of lockups is total over his cumulative playing time, it comes out to one lockup every 10 or so hours. While I agree lockups are annoying and break immersion, I can handle one every 10 hours.

Not only that but Bethesda might fix most of the crashing. This is the game without any patches.

Honestly this is very good for a Bethesda game at launch, it really doesn't seem to affect the scores very much.

Gamespot gave the game a 9.0/10 and they cited bugs as the reason they didn't give it a higher score.

Dankk

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2008
I'm curious about the "new engine" that Skyrim runs on, and if it's as shitty as Gamebryo was. If someone could report back on this after playing for a bit, I'd appreciate it.