any SCUBA people here?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Auric

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: K1052
The biggest single thing is remaining calm when something happens. Panic is the best way to get hurt or killed when diving. This is the biggest thing that was stressed during my certification and I can say from experience they are right.

Exactly. But again, this applies to everything. Panic-ers should not apply or should endevor to overcome it before even considering putting themselves in more dangerous environments. Then the practiced procedure schtick can work on eliminating minor fear of the unfamiliar. Ideally though, reactions should become second nature rather than more literally depending upon a mental procedural checklist.

Kelemvor

Lifer
May 23, 2002
How much did everyone pay to get certified? I think last time I checked it was about $300 here in WI. They do it in about 3 full weekends I think.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Auric
Originally posted by: Apathetic
-- What happens if your regulator gets knocked out of your mouth and (in the worst case) it's now behind you? How do you find it and get it back into your mouth? I'll give you a hint: you can't turn around and grab it because it will move when you do (like a puppy chasing it's tail)

This strikes me as an example of things that someone should either know intuitively or deduce with a moment of rational thought as it arose and if it has to be learned then maybe they shouldn't be subjecting themselves to such situation. The reason being that in the moment, recalling some learned procedure is far less than ideal. Memory isn't even learning. Learning is an accumulation of experience and the ability to adapt the core knowledge to different problems/situations. Indeed, I wouldn't even want the "noise" of what not to do in my head -which is sadly often the way things are taught.

The reason for training is so you don't have to even think about it. You just do it, from memory - without even having to recall it.

Training builds memory, memory leads to skill, skills lead to performing without thinking.

I've had my mask and regulator kicked off my face a few times (night dives) and you don't even have to think about what to do. You just do it.

On the cost, I think I paid 180 bucks and then another 150 for mask/fins/snorkel. This was 10 years ago.

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
Not getting certified seems like an easy way to speed up meeting your maker.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Of equal importance to the things you learn to do when getting your cert, you also learn the things NOT to do. Every year, people die because they did stupid things - those who are certified would understand why they're stupid activities; those not certified wouldn't have a clue they were putting their lives in grave danger. i.e. "cool, I'm going to go into the doorway of this ship" followed 5 minutes later with "oh shit, I stirred up silt and I can't see where the exit is" followed 5 minutes later with "omg, my alarm says I'm down to 500psi; if I'm not out of here in just a couple more minutes, I'm going to die."

TheSlamma

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
Originally posted by: freegeeks
Get certified, you will never regret it
also be prepared to spend a lot of money on gear :D
I'm drooling at a pretty sweet regulator, bcd, computer and alternate Oceanic combo for about $1700... If I wasn't so landlocked in Colorado I would get it in a second.. but my trips to the water vary year to year... argh.. tough decision.