Any runners here?

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
I did my first 5K run yesterday morning. We had the option of doing a 1 mile walk or a 5K run. I insisted that we do the 5K run, thinking to myself "how bad could it really be?" I mean, I go to the gym nearly everyday of the week. Im in pretty good shape, if I paced myself, I could do it easily.

Fast forward.....I ran maybe 60% of the race, walked maybe 35%, and I took a shortcut and ended the race early since I didnt have it in me to finish it. There were people there twice or three times my age who did it easily. There was a guy with some booty shorts and no shirt. It was 50 degress outside. Some of these runners were hardcore, although for the males, their bodies looked unhealthy.

I almost didnt go to work this morning I was soo sore. My back is sore, my legs feel like someone punched them for the last 24 hours.

Mar 22, 2002
Originally posted by: krunchykrome
I did my first 5K run yesterday morning. We had the option of doing a 1 mile walk or a 5K run. I insisted that we do the 5K run, thinking to myself "how bad could it really be?" I mean, I go to the gym nearly everyday of the week. Im in pretty good shape, if I paced myself, I could do it easily.

Fast forward.....I ran maybe 60% of the race, walked maybe 35%, and I took a shortcut and ended the race early since I didnt have it in me to finish it. There were people there twice or three times my age who did it easily. There was a guy with some booty shorts and no shirt. It was 50 degress outside. Some of these runners were hardcore, although for the males, their bodies looked unhealthy.

I almost didnt go to work this morning I was soo sore. My back is sore, my legs feel like someone punched them for the last 24 hours.

As nice as it'd be, lifting doesn't really give you stamina or an aerobic workout (unless you do circuit rather hard). Running is quite a different event to your body. It's nice that you tried it, but if you're just lifting, you should probably get some aerobic exercise in about 3-4 times a week. You don't even have to do that much, but if you died on a 5K it might be best to start running a bit :)

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: SociallyChallenged

As nice as it'd be, lifting doesn't really give you stamina or an aerobic workout (unless you do circuit rather hard). Running is quite a different event to your body. It's nice that you tried it, but if you're just lifting, you should probably get some aerobic exercise in about 3-4 times a week. You don't even have to do that much, but if you died on a 5K it might be best to start running a bit :)

Yea, thats what people were telling me. They said the heavier you are, whether it be muscle or fat, the harder these runs are for you.

yobarman

Lifer
Jan 11, 2001
Drink up on plenty of protein and glutamine to help with the healing. Otherwise, suck it up you big baby!

imported_waldo

Golden Member
Aug 30, 2004
I run pretty regularly. Half of running is mental. If you go to the gym regularly, you should be mixing in some aerobic activity. If you don't like running, try swimming, or hop on the bike for 20 to 30 minutes after you lift. You'll actually be surprised at how miuch more volume you can get in your lungs after a while of that.

sash1

Diamond Member
Jul 20, 2001

Yea, thats what people were telling me. They said the heavier you are, whether it be muscle or fat, the harder these runs are for you.

yup! unnecessary weight just slows you down as far as distance running goes. also, long distance running requires not so much muscle strength, but muscle endurance. weight training doesn't give you muscle endurance, but rather strength and fast twitch muscle fibers.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
lol lifting weights != cardio :p

you = pwned

EDIT: maybe you need to start running from Columbia to the city (DC or Baltimore) where there is actually stuff to do :D :D :D

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000
If you're serious about running a 5k, here's a good plan. This is what I used (more on that later). I lift three times a week and thought we should be doing some cardio, so we started doing that running plan three times a week.

http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

I got about half way through it. The weather got better so we could run outside rather than on the indoor track, then my running partner started to slack on going with me (so my motivation was nil). I started riding my bike 10 miles three times a week instead. The weather is getting worse now, so I may start running inside again.

It is a good plan though, usually the first day of a new workout it's hard, but by the third time you do it, it starts to feel better.

Good running shoes make a HUGE difference. I started in my Nike shoes that I wore to work out in and got bad shin splints. I bought some better running shoes and that really helped.

Edit with the link

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: waldo
I run pretty regularly. Half of running is mental. If you go to the gym regularly, you should be mixing in some aerobic activity. If you don't like running, try swimming, or hop on the bike for 20 to 30 minutes after you lift. You'll actually be surprised at how miuch more volume you can get in your lungs after a while of that.

I lift 3 days a week, and I do cardio 4-5 days per week for about 30 minutes on a machine. But the cardio is nothing like the running I did on Sunday. It's easier on my feet because it's a machine, it's in the comfort of air conditioned gym with plasmas to watch tv on. I gotta ha d it to those runners, it is really tough. I was also told that my pathetic 5K run is a cake-run to most runners. They usually train for longer runs.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: purbeast0
lol lifting weights != cardio :p

you = pwned

EDIT: maybe you need to start running from Columbia to the city (DC or Baltimore) where there is actually stuff to do :D :D :D

No thank you. If Im going to run outdoors, I'll happily run around our man-made lakes here in Columbia. :) You're welcome to join me anytime.

MrBond

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2000

I lift 3 days a week, and I do cardio 4-5 days per week for about 30 minutes on a machine. But the cardio is nothing like the running I did on Sunday. It's easier on my feet because it's a machine, it's in the comfort of air conditioned gym with plasmas to watch tv on. I gotta ha d it to those runners, it is really tough. I was also told that my pathetic 5K run is a cake-run to most runners. They usually train for longer runs.
Like you said, there's a really big difference running on a treadmill than running on pavement. Treadmills are the easiest surface to run on for me and I actually avoid them because of that. The indoor track surface we have is rubber and I don't mind running on it, but it's still easier than a hard surface. For hard surfaces, my favorite is boardwalks, but they're springy too, so it's easier to go longer distances. Grass isn't bad, but I don't like dirt because I don't feel like I have good traction (a lot of the dirt trails I can run on are sandy, which is most of the problem).

As far as roads go, blacktop is bad, but concrete is worse. Given the choice, I'd run on blacktop over concrete any day.

JulesMaximus

No Lifer
Jul 3, 2003

:laugh: Did you train at all for this run? You really need to work up to running in events like this. At least train for a few weeks prior. Start out with a mile and then gradually work your way up to the 3.x miles in a 5k.

Try cycling 100 miles! I did my first Century ride last month. It was great and I wasn't sore at all the next day. Then again, I rode over 2,500 miles last year. ;)

radioouman

Diamond Member
Nov 4, 2002
5k... I run a 5k on the treadmill every time I got to the gym.
If you aren't used to running, then yeah, a 5k will kill you. But it doesn't take long before you are able to do that.
I used to run 5-6 miles at a time in my neighborhood. But then I started to have some knee problems and I've been limiting my running to 5k on a cushioned treadmill.

krunchykrome

Lifer
Dec 28, 2003
Originally posted by: JulesMaximus

:laugh: Did you train at all for this run? You really need to work up to running in events like this. At least train for a few weeks prior. Start out with a mile and then gradually work your way up to the 3.x miles in a 5k.

Try cycling 100 miles! I did my first Century ride last month. It was great and I wasn't sore at all the next day. Then again, I rode over 2,500 miles last year. ;)

No, I didnt train at all for this run. In fact, I stayed up until 4am Saturday night playing Madden and watching Ranson (with Mel Gibson), and I had to be up at 7am for the run.

What really kills me is that there was this one guy who finished the race......and he was in a wheelchair. :shocked:

I have a mountain bike, and I would go biking afew years ago, once or twice a week. I would do close to 30 miles each time, and I just remember it being the most exhilarating feeling once I finished my biking for the day and all of the distance I covered. I can only imagine what it must feel like to bike 100 miles.

ArchCenturion

Aug 6, 2006
*whispers softly under his breath in a high pitched voice* "pvssyyyyyyyyyyyy"

Jk, you will always be sore if you do something you are not used too. Just get used to running. Run like 20 minutes every other day for like a week, then jack it up when you feel ready for more. Also if you wanna run for a better physique, i would say faster and shorter, rather than longer and slower. Try to get really fast at your 5k. Otherwise you will just turn into a skinny little runner shrimp.

AMCRambler

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2001
Since I joined the gym I've been doing running more than anything there. I'm not after building the perfect bod, but when I used to climb two flights of stairs and I was winded, that was pretty depressing. I started out doing about 20 minutes walking/running, and that would get me about a mile and a half or so. I been going once a week and I'm up to walking 4 minutes(2 min warm up 2 min cool down) and running for 23 min. That was also getting too easy so now I do it with the incline on 1. I usually get about 2.2 miles after that time is up. Now I don't run out of breath anymore climbing stairs, my legs are rock hard and I been slowly losing my gut(although lately I been eating crap, so i might have reversed that). As long as your legs can handle the impact though, I definitely recommend it as a good way to increase your stamina. I wouldn't be surprised if I could outrun any of the weight lifters in the gym I go to. I'm not even hardcore. Just been doing it once a week since July.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
When I lived in Southampton, UK I used to run 5 miles a day, 3 times a week. It was a cakewalk... 10 years later now I doubt I can finish it off ;)

WildHorse

Diamond Member
Jun 29, 2003
weight lifters tend to build short bulky muscles that tighten up under unusual strain like running out of condition.
I was a competitive swimmer & water polo for a lot of years, & now several years out of it I still get benefits from that. Swimmers build long "leaner" very strong muscles, not so bulky, and are totally aerobic, closely akin to running. I recently ran up this big mountain on a hot day, and still I live.

so suggest you try to stretch more, as a regular routine, in your whole body, not just legs.

hold each stretched position >=20 seconds.

do plenty of aerobic stuff over several weeks to develop lotta mitochondria in those cells to power your run, in addition to your weights, as you ramp up to your next fun run, 10K right? hey you get a shirt out of it, always useful!