Question Any Roadmap for expected Intel MB Chipsets with PCI-E 4.0 or 5.0? Consumer Desktop, not Server or anything else.

sparkuss

Jul 4, 2003
I need to push to Win10 from Win7 soon and will also be making another generational leap from Z97 to best I can afford again, MB, and GFX and Storage.

Has there been any news on upcoming Intel Chipsets offering newer PCI-E. I know that PCI-E 3.0 is perfectly fine otherwise but if I am going to buy for another several years I'd like to get newer for the PCI-E 4.0/5.0 peripherals down the pike.

Feb 4, 2009
I need to push to Win10 from Win7 soon and will also be making another generational leap from Z97 to best I can afford again, MB, and GFX and Storage.

Has there been any news on upcoming Intel Chipsets offering newer PCI-E. I know that PCI-E 3.0 is perfectly fine otherwise but if I am going to buy for another several years I'd like to get newer for the PCI-E 4.0/5.0 peripherals down the pike.

Nothing but rumors, like PCIe 5.0 in 2020 but nothing firm that I know of.
I know some posters have stated it may end up being 2022(?)
Assuming it has value to you look into AMD.
I recently built a Ryzen system and I am pretty happy with it.

sparkuss

Jul 4, 2003
Nothing but rumors, like PCIe 5.0 in 2020 but nothing firm that I know of.
I know some posters have stated it may end up being 2022(?)
Assuming it has value to you look into AMD.
I recently built a Ryzen system and I am pretty happy with it.

Thanks,

yes i'll have to make a final decision betwen the two, just waiting to see what is going to have the highest single core perf or quad-core boost come time to pull the trigger.

mikk

Diamond Member
May 15, 2012
As far as we know Rocket Lake will be the first Intel mainstream CPU with PCIe 4 support, it requires a CMP-H PCH or TGP-H PCH chipset. However Rocket Lake is a 2021 CPU.